Scottoiler – installation problems

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by Tangoman, Aug 31, 2004.

1. Tangoman

Tangoman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    If you are intending to install the Scottoiler ‘dream ticket’ system, i.e., the high capacity touring reservoir with the dual injector nozzles, there are two problems you should be aware of regarding the mounting of these two items.
  2. Tangoman

Tangoman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The High Capacity Oil Reservoir fits neatly between the rear mudguard and number plate but as a result it moves the plate about 3cms backward so that the number plate light can no longer illuminate the number plate. This is illegal in England as I’m sure it is everywhere else and an invitation to be pulled-over.

Attached Files:

3. Tangoman

Tangoman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My solution was to fix spacers between the mudguard and the number plate light assembly so the light once again overhangs the number plate. I cut the spacers from some plastic bar with the centre bored out. Obviously longer mounting bolts are also required to accommodate the spacers. Unfortunately the two bolts from the light unit are moulded into the base of the light assembly and cannot be simply swapped out for longer ones. Rather than modify the light assembly I used female-to-male bolt extensions inside the bore of the spacers and so kept the original nuts and bolts.

Attached Files:

4. Tangoman

Tangoman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The Dual Injector has to be mounted on the underside of the LH swing-arm to lubricate either side of the chain. Unfortunately the placement of the chain-guard mounting bracket (which is welded onto the underside of the LH swing-arm) restricts one’s options. The only suitable spot I could find for the injector body was flat against the inner face of the chain-guard mounting bracket and held in place with an extended chain-guard forward mounting bolt.

The problem is that there are two obstacles on the inner face of the chain-guard mounting bracket which prevent the injector body sitting in place flat against the inner face of the bracket: first, the weld that joins the bracket to the swing-arm and second, the raised nut used by the chain-guard forward mounting bolt (see pic below).

(NB. the Scottoiler kit does provide a number of universal spacers/arms to get around the mounting problem but with these you end up with the injector assembly sitting mostly below the bracket where it gets severely eroded by the chain.)

Attached Files:

5. Tangoman

Tangoman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My solution was to ream out one side of the injector body mounting hole to the dimensions of the raised nut and to file away part of the injector body to accommodate the shape of the weld.

(NB. this approach caused one further problem in that when filing away the upper part of the injector body to accommodate the weld I broke through into the injector’s oil chamber. There was no way to avoid this but the hole was plugged by applying a small amount of epoxy resin as a plug – visible in pic below.)

Attached Files:

6. Tangoman

Tangoman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The injector now locates on the raised nut and is held in place with a 50mm bolt and locking nut which replaced the original forward chain-guard mounting bolt.

Attached Files:

88gs likes this.
  7. Tangoman

Tangoman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    After a great deal of messing about the modified system works very well – no more hassle of oiling the chain. But had I been aware of all the aggravation involved in getting the kit to work properly I’m not so sure I would have bothered in the first place.

I wonder have any of you found a different solution to these issues?

Tangoman.

Attached Files:

8. jdhall

jdhall Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Not install it at all?

It's an O-ring chain. The lubricant is permanently sealed inside the rings. Very little benefit to dousing the exterior of the chain with oil. Just a mess.
  9. Komet

Komet The Voice of Reason

Oddometer:
    Pease excuse my ignorance re: this issue, but do you mean that you never have to lubricate these O-ring type chains?
  10. jdhall

jdhall Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm sure that a lot of folk will stand in line to disagree, but generally no. The O-rings are there to keep dirt out, and lubricant in. You can oil the chain, but so long as the o-rings (or X-rings, or whatever the new and improved versions are) are intact, nothing is going to get into the interior wear surfaces of the chain pins and do any good.

With that in mind, lubricating the chain will help prevent rust. It will also lubricate the rollers themselves - which usually aren't too much of a problem when it comes to chain wear. It's best to use a *dry* lubricant IMHO, that doesn't attract dirt - which will abrade the chain rollers and sprocket, and eventually tear up the o-rings.

I usually put a couple of thousand serious off-road miles a year on my early '00 520EXC. I'll shoot some Tri-flo on it every couple of months, primarily out of guilt, or if I ride in the wet. I finally got around to replacing the chain about six months ago, not because it was worn out, but because I got a good deal on a new one from a shop going out of business.

As always, your mileage may vary.

PS, I think Tangoman went through a lot of effort, and acomplished a very sanitary installation. I just don't think it was necessary.
  11. DiasDePlaya

DiasDePlaya Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The reason to use the Scottoiler is to protect the front and rear sprocket and the chain, no only the chain.

Maybe a solution is to install a normal version of Scottoiler and the single injector.