1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Scrambler 1200 Tires

Discussion in 'Triumph Tigers' started by naterizzle, Jul 15, 2020.

Tags:
  1. naterizzle

naterizzle Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It's me again, the guy who is actively trying to make the Scrambler 1200 have more than 1 gigantic thread! Anyways, was hoping we could get a nice thread going talking about the tires we like on our Scrambler 1200's!

I have been pleased with the road performance of the stock Tourance's and they did ok on some hardpack dirt fire roads, but I got into some mud and they left a lot to be desired. As soon as they wear out, I'm going for something a bit knobbier and think I've narrowed it down to (all linked if interested):
    I'm leaning towards the Pirelli or Continental, but would love to hear opinions, experiences, or any other banter! Cheers!
  2. markbvt

markbvt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Georgia, Vermont (that's one town, not two states)
    The Shinko 705s have been my go-to tires for a decade now on my Tiger, my Africa Twin, my KTM 1090R, my Scrambler, and now on my second Tiger. They're great do-it-all tires, capable of peg-scraping lean angles on twisty pavement and way better in the dirt than they look like they should be. And they're inexpensive.

I'm currently trying a Conti TKC 70 Rocks on the rear of my Scrambler along with a TKC 80 front. Don't like it. The TKC 80 front is a great tire, but I'm not liking the 70 Rocks. It doesn't feel very stable -- feels like it wants to slide laterally on both pavement and dirt. I won't be buying another; in fact, I'm not sure I'll leave this one on long enough to wear out. Might just throw a TKC 80 rear on instead -- I've run those many times on several bikes and like them.

Have not run the Pirellis or the Metzelers. I also did not like the stock Tourances. They're okay on the street but wear quickly.

--mark
  3. naterizzle

naterizzle Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks, Mark! Great insight on the 70 Rocks that I hadn't heard. I was thinking if I did it i would do the TKC 70 up front, wonder if that would make a difference. I've never heard a bad thing about 705's so maybe that's what I should just start with, ha!
  4. Florida Lime

Florida Lime Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    As stated and not often enough in Robbinsville, NC
    I remember how quickly you went through the OEM tires. That must be due to the road materials up your way. My original tires lasted almost 9000 miles, and I was pretty happy with their road performance, at least.
    I'm currently running the Pirelli Rally STRs, and while they work well on the street, they are wearing faster, with a LOT of cupping on the front tire.
    I might try the Shinkos next, based on everyone's rave reviews.
  5. Cruz

Cruz Lost but laughing.

Oddometer:
    Dunlop Mission if they are available where you are?
    Screenshot_2020-07-16-22-47-00-43.jpg
    ride200mi likes this.
  6. markbvt

markbvt Long timer

Oddometer:
    It was actually on a trip down to PA, VA, and WV that they really evaporated fast.

--mark
  7. misinformed

misinformed Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've got 3500 miles on the original Tourances (all pavement) and they look like they're ~50% worn. This is my first time using any tire that is not 100% street focused, and while the grip has been OK, I don't like the 'movement' I feel when leaned over.

I'll try Pirelli Scorpion Trail IIs or Metzeler Tourance NEXTs when they're worn out. Those seem to be the most street-oriented choices we have.
    Cruz likes this.
  8. naterizzle

naterizzle Adventurer

Oddometer:
    They are available (I'm in the US)! Looks like a really great option actually!
  9. WIDGIN

WIDGIN When In Doubt, Gas It Now

Oddometer:
    Very interestes in this thread as i have been thinking alot about tires. I am thinking i will either put Trailmax Mission, Mitas E07, or Pirelli Scorpion Rally on soon. Trying to wear out the Tourances that came on bike but only have 1800 miles. I replaced Tourances with 705s on Street Scrambler and they were much better but it still didnt have enough dirt performance for me. However, 80-90 percent of my riding is street to get to dirt. I think TKC 80 or 804/805 combo would also be in running if i had a tire mounting jig.
    naterizzle likes this.
  10. Cruz

Cruz Lost but laughing.

Oddometer:
    What did you end up buying?
  11. Black Rhino

Black Rhino Closer to Dairy Queen than Steve McQueen.

Oddometer:
    Ran the stockers till I couldn't stand it any more. Switched the front to a Shinko 804 , rear to a 705. Left on a 3k road trip. Tires were great. Like Mark , I've been running the 705's since my Vstrom days. I love them too. I currently have an Annakee Wild front and an 805 rear. Both are good , they support my brisk riding habits with no issue , and they are a bit more aggressive in the dirt. I've had a lot going on lately , so it's been the poser on the commuter bike , but hopefully I'll a day back in the dirt soon.
  12. frytown

frytown Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Another vote for the 705's. I replaced the stock tires with these and all aspects of the ride are improved. More confidence leaning on pavement, and far better predictability in dirt. The dirt around here is gravelly, chicken-heady, and usually loose or dusty. The 705's are surprisingly good on this stuff. Not quite TKC 80's, but not as far off as I'd have thought. Highly recommended!
  13. WIDGIN

Oddometer:
    Just got a set of Mitas E07s. Mounted front, plan to mount rear tomorrow and hopefully have time to scrub them in a little over the weekend.
  14. Cruz

Cruz Lost but laughing.

Oddometer:
    Be careful with the front E07, the poorest handling front tyre I have ever used. Back lasted a fair while and was okay on the dirt and just okay on dry bitumen.
  15. Ads

Ads Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Took my ktm 990A out for a run and forgot how good the oem MT90 tyres are for that bike. Hoping the Shinko 705 will be on par to fit on my XE any experience on both love to here your thoughts. Sooner have a tyre that is excellent in the wet over a long lasting tyre.
    Cruz likes this.
  16. markbvt

markbvt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I've run the MT90 on my KTM 1090 ADV R and liked it a lot, though the rear wore pretty quickly. Unfortunately it doesn't come in a 150/70-17 rear size, so isn't an option for the Scrambler.

I've been running the Shinko 705s for a decade on a variety of bikes and keep rebuying them because they're the best all-around tire I've found. Very similar to the MT90, but cheaper and longer lasting. The MT90 maybe has a slight edge on dirt, but not by much, and I'd say the tires are very similar on the road. The 705s are capable of peg-scraping lean angles, and I've never had any issues in the wet.

--mark
    Black Rhino likes this.
  17. Black Rhino

Black Rhino Closer to Dairy Queen than Steve McQueen.

Oddometer:
    I agree with everything Mark said. I've been running them on and off for about a decade as well (Vstrom's , Tiger XC , Scrambler1200 , and my Wife's CB500X). I'm running more dirt oriented tires currently on my Scrambler , but as an all around do all tire , the 705's are hard to beat.
    markbvt likes this.
  18. Ads

Ads Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks gents my mind now is at rest!. Put bike seal in the XE OEM tyres so need to get my moneys worth out of them first.
  19. WIDGIN

Oddometer:
    Put about 75 miles on the E07s today trying to scrub them in. Under hard acceleration I was surprised and a little dismayed with how much the traction control kicked in. Ripped all the little nubbies off the middle of the rear tire. However, they were a vast improvement in the dirt over the Tourances. Might take them to the mountains tomorrow for further scrubbing.
  20. Cruz

Cruz Lost but laughing.

Oddometer:
    My 86 Transalp could spin the rear up easily off road so I can only imagine what the 1200 will do in Off Road modes.