1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Scrambler 1200 Tires

Discussion in 'Triumph Tigers' started by naterizzle, Jul 15, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Cruz

Cruz Lost but laughing.

Oddometer:
    How is the rear E07 going?
  2. WIDGIN

WIDGIN When In Doubt, Gas It Now

Oddometer:
    Havent had a chance to ride much. Tire works better on gravel forest roads than Tourances or Shinko 705s. However, it slips more on dry pavement engaging TC under hard acceleration which is becoming annoying. I wish there was a way to turn off TC without having to set in Offroad mode every time I start the bike and see the dumb idiot light flashing. I dont really like or want TC. May have to switch to more road focused tire like Trailmax Missions next time.
  3. Cruz

Cruz Lost but laughing.

Oddometer:
    Anakee Adventure or one of the road type Avon's may suit you.
  4. WIDGIN

Oddometer:
    Thanks but neither of those would be agressive enough for me off road. That was the problem with Tourances, 705s, Presa Detours, etc. Anyway, I will be riding these Mitas for the next year or so.
  5. Cruz

Cruz Lost but laughing.

Oddometer:
    Mark, what did you end up doing with your tyres choice?
  6. Cruz

Cruz Lost but laughing.

Oddometer:
    Front Tourance is wearing quicker than the rear, just over 4000 klms on it and it's getting down. Back Tourance is wearing better than I thought it would.
    Tried them off road today in Off Road Pro mode, rear just wanted to spin out even with easy throttle, and front just wanted to skip sideways on small loose stones or plough in soft soil.
    If front wears out quickly I might try a Mission front with the Tourance rear till the rear wears out.
  7. WIDGIN

Oddometer:
    Tourances suck off road and are actually dangerous above 15mph. Ten years ago I crashed a 955Tiger three different times from front Tourance washing out with no warning on gravel or rocks.
  8. markbvt

markbvt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Georgia, Vermont (that's one town, not two states)
    Nothing so far -- the TKCs are still fairly new. As it's accumulated some mileage, the TKC70 Rocks feels a little better. Still not good enough for me to ever buy another, but it's not so sketchy that I want to get rid of it without wearing it out first.

--mark
  9. Cruz

Cruz Lost but laughing.

Oddometer:
    This front Tourance is following tar snakes and cracks more than any tyre I have used previously and slid out on some newly laid loose bitumen the other day. Will have to bite the bullet and replace it and see how that changes the handling.
  10. Tomintoul

Tomintoul Hoopy frood

Oddometer:
    I've had Tourances on every bike I've had for the last decade and I can't remember them ever being as bad as they are on the XE
    Cruz likes this.
  11. justinbuckley

justinbuckley n00b

Oddometer:
    I’ve had really good luck with Bridgestone’s AX41. And you can get the set for like $220. 60 off/40 on. But handle great on pavement. Rear wears fast but that’s to be expected.

Tempted to go all TKC80 for a change. I ride off road quite a bit so a bit of knobby is needed. Think a 100/90 up front would work? Or best to stick with the 90/90?
  12. Tomintoul

Tomintoul Hoopy frood

Oddometer:
    The only time I've ever had Bridgestones was as stock on my old Scrambler 900. Bloody awful they were.
  13. edzt

edzt Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Glad I read that, the movement from the front end on repairs etc is not good. I’ve been blaming the bike!
    Cruz likes this.
  14. justinbuckley

justinbuckley n00b

Oddometer:
    Ha, I can only guess you're speaking of the Death Wings. Those were definitely trash in the dirt. The AX41 is a completely new tire, their first real ADV 50/50 I believe, and has pretty good reviews out there.
  15. Shoeshear

Shoeshear Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Anyone had this abnormal wear with the cords showing on the edges? 6k miles on it. Figured I’d ask here to see what y’all thought. Stock Metzlers.
    FE6A5850-F95F-4B59-A311-E9AA4ED32FD6.jpeg
  16. misinformed

misinformed Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The general consensus is the Tourances fitted from the factory are not great tires. I've got 5k miles on mine and I'm looking forward to replacing them in the spring.

They're not confidence-inspiring on the road and slippery off-road. It looks like the tires they provide to manufacturers are not the same as those sold to consumers.

At 6k miles, I would consider them a success and start looking to replace them.
  17. Shoeshear

Shoeshear Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've already started the process of replacement planning. Picked up a set of TKC 80s for a discount. Just curious if others had a similar experience. I actually don't mind the Tourances on the road. On the gravel, they were very squirmy.
    misinformed and Cruz like this.
  18. WIDGIN

Oddometer:
    Mine went 2400 miles before being replaced because of their poor gravel manners. Third set of Tourances ive replaced before hitting 2500 mile.
  19. Cruz

Cruz Lost but laughing.

Oddometer:
    Front Tourance lasted 5,400 klms.
    Down to the wear bars now.
    Anyone tried the Golden Tyre
    GT823KH 90/90-21 TLS 54H FRONT ADV TYRE on their XE?
    Screenshot_2020-09-20-21-43-00-26.jpg Screenshot_2020-09-20-21-43-57-97.jpg IMG_20200921_141056.jpg
  20. Cruz

Cruz Lost but laughing.

Oddometer:
    Bit the bullet. IMG20200921161249.jpg IMG20200921161140.jpg