1. ADVRIDER Print Magazine!
    We're doing two more print magazines this year. July & November. 144 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase both for $35.
    Dismiss Notice

Scrambler Ducati....yep...its back!

Discussion in 'Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports' started by Jbone11 11, Jun 9, 2014.

1. Tim_Tom

Tim_Tom Long timer

Oddometer:
    Why not just strap a compression dry sack over the rear seat? They hold a hole lot of stuff, though maybe not the kitchen sink, and will keep your gear dry in the most severe of rainstorms. I've used bungie cord, or ratchet straps to tie it down, haven't had any issues with either method. An added bonus is it doubles as a nice backrest for you on the interstate.

I've got this one and it works great as supplemental luggage.
    http://www.seatosummit.com/product/?item=eVent+Compression+Dry+Sack&o1=0&o2=0&o3=291-12

For $30 it's a hell of a lot cheaper than replacing your softbags. Food for thought.
  2. JeffPM

JeffPM Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  3. greer

greer Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Jeff,

I have yet to ride Doug's CB; I'm still recovering from an accident that banged up my pelvis and left leg, a little weak yet so don't feel I ought to be fumbling around with anybody's bike. Doug has offered it time and again, and I'm looking forward to riding it when I'm ready. Anyhow, I can tell you we breezed along at a steady 75-76 mph and the CB did fine, Doug says there's not a lot left for quick passing though. He's geared up 1 tooth on the front sprocket and says he feels a brief rough spot at 60 or so mph but the bike is smooth at highway speeds, no buzzing in the grips, pegs, or seat. We got into a bit of sand running around in Florida and his front 17" tire was a bit more squirrelly than my 18", but both of us would have liked a set of TKC's for sure. Power-wise, Doug says for his style of riding the bike is comparable in performance to his KLR685, but he's certain the CB has power on tap if the rider wanted to be more rev-happy. Did you happen to see this review, it offers some excellent insights, in my opinion:

https://rideapart.com/articles/suzuki-v-strom-650-adventure-vs-honda-cb500x-comparison-test

Holler back if you have more questions, and I'll see if I can get Doug to log on.

Tim_Tom,

Yep, I've got a nice big duffle, need nice big saddlebags, too (kitchen sink!!) Thanks very much for the suggestion, all the same. I've got a bit more time to ponder and study, so we'll see how it goes. Thanks again.

Sarah
    JeffPM and Tim_Tom like this.
  4. Tim_Tom

Tim_Tom Long timer

Oddometer:
    Greer,

I suppose you could, you know, pack less. After all I'm sure they have sink's where you are going....

:hide
  5. danketchpel

danketchpel Long timer

Oddometer:
    LOL....... ya think? At least "most" places.....

Couldn't resist. :D
  6. greer

Oddometer:
    Point taken, you two smarty pants.

Sarah
    danketchpel likes this.
  7. LuciferMutt

LuciferMutt Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer:
    Is there a cheaper option for rear stands/lifts than the Scrambler specific stand from Pitbull? I guess that upward sloping swingarm is quite problematic for most rear stands. I'm not so interested in using axle mounted bobbins since it would prohibit removal of the rear wheel while on the stand. I'm just now realizing this is the first bike I've ever owned that doesn't have a center stand and it's a pain in the ass!
  8. Tim_Tom

Tim_Tom Long timer

Oddometer:
    I just use a motorcycle jack. Right under the engine and take the whole bike up. It was about $75 from O'Reilly's
  9. LuciferMutt

Oddometer:
    Is it safe to support the entire weight of the bike by the engine??
  10. Tim_Tom

Tim_Tom Long timer

Oddometer:
    The engine cases are pretty sturdy. You need to be careful that the arms of the jack are on the flat part of the oil pan, not the oil filter. Seems to be okay so far, the longest I've had it up with both wheels off the ground was about 8 hours. When I adjust or lube the chain I only lift it enough so the rear wheel is free. The front wheel is still supporting the bike.

If you feel better with a rear stand, there are some with a 90 degree pad, instead of a bobbin and hook. They pick up the rear of the swing arm from the bottom back corner below the adjuster blocks, not the axle. Could be another option. Of course then you need a triple tree stand for the front...
  11. danketchpel

danketchpel Long timer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Actually those bags look rather nice on the Scrambler.
  12. streaks77

streaks77 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So I finally picked up my wife's Icon this week and that is a sweet bike! Love the motor on this little thing, and the handling is just awesome. So much looking forward to the warmer weather, I foresee many long rides through the twisty German hills![​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    jerdog53 and Tim_Tom like this.
  13. greer

Oddometer:
    That smile says it all, enjoy!

Sarah
  14. Tim_Tom

Tim_Tom Long timer

Oddometer:
    So Hughlysses and I were talking in the "Not for me" thread and compared the dimension of Buell XB shocks to the Scrambler stock shock. I figured I'd cross post our findings here in case any owners were looking to try an inexpensive shock option. You can find the XB shocks for $70-$100 on ebay and the like.

So I got around to measuring my stock shock. Here are the same measurements you took for the XB shock, but for the Ducati. I used my digital caliper, so my measurements are very precise.

Eye Diameter: 0.38" (the 5/16 you measured on the Buell equates to 0.3125")
    Eye Length: 1.2055" (1.25" length on the XB)
    Eye Width: 0.8730"
    Clevis Exterior Width: 1.2745"
    Clevis Interior Width: 0.9220"
    Bolt: 0.38"
    Length: 12.5"

They are pretty close to that you measured on the buell, and I suspect that had I used a ruler or tape measure rather than the caliper, they'd be exactly the same. So it looks like a Buell XB shock could bolt on to a Scrambler.

Anyways I hope this helps someone out here. I'm curious as to how it would actually fit and work on the bike.
  15. Hughlysses

Hughlysses Long timer

Oddometer:
    Tim_Tom- my measurements weren't terribly precise (I couldn't find my caliper so I was using a tape measure), so hopefully the "close" dimensions are close enough to work if not actually identical. Looks like even the XB12SCG (the shortest) shock is 3/4" longer than the Scrambler shock, but that's probably workable as well.

The only complication I see to installing one is that the remote reservoir on the XB shock will be on the swingarm end of the shock, so that'll add a little unsprung weight and you'll have to find some place to attach it.

Still, these shocks are available pretty cheap on ebay (~$100?), and it sounds like they'd be a very good upgrade if they'll fit.
  16. Tim_Tom

Tim_Tom Long timer

Oddometer:
    I kinda figured you were using a tape measure. :lol3 No worries. I'd bet that except for the length, there are identical in dimensions. Kinda sucks having to attach the remote reservoir to the swingarm, but there are places you attach a bracket and zip tie it on.

Honestly anything is an upgrade over the stock shock. Especially for a light rider. It really is cheaply made and kind of crude. I forgive Ducati though, if they spec'ed a top shelf shock, the price would have moved up out of my reach.
  17. Tim_Tom

Tim_Tom Long timer

Oddometer:
    So unrelated the the shock measuring... My quest to find an affordable way to relocate the footpegs seems to have some results! A few guys on one of the Scrambler forums discovered an affordable alternative to the stupidly expensive Ducabike or Ducati footpegs. Both are made by the same company, MC Motoparts, which is a Chinese company. However they are footpegs, so I'm not overly concerned with critical failure. That and the stock ones are probably made in china too. There are two options both originally intended for the Hypermotard 821 but they work on the Scrambler too. One a sport peg the other an off road style peg. Not sure which one I'll go with yet.

Dirt Style
    http://www.mc-motoparts.com/product...table-fit-hypermotard-821sp-strada-13-14.html

Sport Style
    http://www.mc-motoparts.com/product...r-ducati-hypermotard-821-sp-strada-13-14.html

I am torn. I like the sport style because they are cheaper, and I use the Scrambler primarily as a sport bike. My intention is to move the pegs up and back to get a bit more leverage while hanging off. But I also like to ride on dirt and gravel roads, where standing up is good, and the larger peg makes it much nicer to stand on. Hmmm. Choices. Either way I'm much happier to spend $50 or $80 than $200+ for a bit of machined aluminum.
  18. Effigy

Effigy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    TRIP WEEKEND! VRUMMM VRUMMMM [SHORT STORY]

So, last weekend, or the one before, was a trip weekend!

[​IMG]

Lots of fun, lots of curves, lots of speed above the law, lots of erections, lots of laughs and lots of pain on the throat and earache.

220 km were made while riding some interesting roads, b roads, forgotten roads… awesome…

[​IMG]

Also had to ask for some help to return to the main roads and stay on course…

[​IMG]

“You just have to turn right” … a few minutes later … “He said my right or his right?”

Not the most easy thing to do but AWESOME!

[​IMG]

cool shaped hill or whatever that is…
    But yeah, kind of lost, even after some help…

It was so cold…

[​IMG]

What can I take from this? Portugal is such a beautiful country and worth knowing!

To all that come here I only say this: give it a chance!

[​IMG]
    JaySwear, lazos 990, Xtyling and 2 others like this.
  19. LuciferMutt

Oddometer:
    Might be on my end, Effigy, but most of your pic links are broken.
  20. Tim_Tom

Tim_Tom Long timer

Oddometer:
    @Effigy Cool little report! That looks like a nice and quiet part of the world. If you've got any more pictures of your adventures be sure to share! I know I'd love to go to Portugal one day...

PS I can see the pictures just fine.