Scrambler Ducati....yep...its back!

Discussion in 'Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports' started by Jbone11 11, Jun 9, 2014.

1. DesertPilot

DesertPilot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Awesome! You'll be having too much fun!
    Just the usual things. Change the oil, which probably has fossils in it by now, anticipate that the gas might have degraded leaving the injectors slightly gummed up. If the bike was stored in a humid area, be prepared to track down a few dirty electrical connections, though the odds are these will be OK. Budget for new tires, spark plugs and battery, just in case. And check the forums to see what people complain about for that model year. Wiser people on this thread will give you much better answers than I can, but as I recall, the only significant gripes were the throttle response, the less-than-luxurious seat, and the 'fine-as-long-as-you-have-a-relaxed-attitude-toward-life-or-never-go-over-sharp-bumps' suspension, which I imagine you've already looked into.
  2. ProfoundlyAmateur

ProfoundlyAmateur Adventurer

Oddometer:

Thanks DesertPilot! It appears to have been stored in one of those dream garages with a painted floor(probably a dentist:) so hopefully no gremlins. This will be my first time motoring on dirt so I promise it will be entertaining haha!
    DesertPilot likes this.
  3. LuciferMutt

LuciferMutt Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer:
    Change the oil. It's likely the bike hasn't even had it's first dealer service yet. Technically, due to age alone, the belts are due to be replaced.
  4. ProfoundlyAmateur

ProfoundlyAmateur Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks LuciferMutt! Oil change for sure. Hoping I can visually inspect the belts and ride them till the first service. Still can't believe someone had a scrambler in their garage and barely ever rode it. Sad, like a horse that never leaves the barn.
    JaySwear likes this.
  5. Airider

Airider Adrenaline Junkie

Oddometer:
    I am looking to get a new seat, really dig the flat style of the twin cafe seat, plus I'll get a little bit of height, but then I have to get the under covers to cover the gap ... What are some best options out there, and have any of you tried to modify the stock ones, or 3d print some new ones, fabricate something out of aluminum, etc?

image from another scramblerforum ..... HERE
    [​IMG]
  6. Ishai

Ishai Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I got the Sargent seat that's comfy for me . I kind of like the look of the Cafe' seat but most importantly if it is comfy for you than I would give it a try and worry about the gap later, it might even help with engine heat in stop and go traffic...
  7. JaySwear

JaySwear Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a Sargent also and love it! But it wouldn’t give you that flat appearance. The gap does look a bit strange. I like that the Sargent seat covers that
  8. JaySwear

Oddometer:
    I love this bike! I’m going for a more “vintage” look. I’ve got a monza style has cap to install and some chrome drag bars. Hoping the drag bars don’t make the ride too uncomfortable for me! But I’ve been thinking about drag bars for a while so I figured I’d just take the plunge.

Question, how hard is drilling the bars for my controls? Not wiring through the bars, but for the tabs on the hand controls

Attached Files:

9. DesertPilot

Oddometer:
    Make sure you have a centerpunch, decent drill bits, a good tape measure, and a length of angle iron if you need to draw any lines parallel to the handlebar. Then remember, "Measure twice, drill once." If you're a weenie like me, measure three times, drill once. And measuring four times couldn't hurt...
    LuciferMutt and JaySwear like this.
  10. JaySwear

Oddometer:
    I’ve been trying to rope in as many of my mechanically talented friends as I can! I’ve put guitars together from scratch but none of them would kill me if I drill a hole wrong :muutt

During my ride yesterday I decided those drag bars might be a bit too low for me. But I’ll play with them for a while and see what I think! I can always grab another handlebar later.
  11. DesertPilot

Oddometer:
    What bars did you pick and what were the width, rise, height, sweep, clamp area, control area, and all those other numbers I can never remember?
  12. JaySwear

Oddometer:
    I’m going with LSL drag bars! 7/8” bars and putting the speedometer back in the stock location so that I can install my new gas cap. One thing leads to me changing half the damn parts on the bike!

I found this awesome gas cap, but realized it would hit the speedo in the location it is now. Right now it’s the low mounted Rizoma location. So the cheapest solution was to put the stock riser back on which requires going back to a 7/8” bar. And, since I’m going for a neo-retro look, I decided on a chrome LSL bar to complete the look! Hopefully when it’s all said and done it’ll be perfect. But who am I kidding? I can never stop playing with anything.
  13. JaySwear

Oddometer:
    Everything went great during my bar change! Until... I got the stock riser back on and realized the drag bars were too narrow for all my controls :becca Another bar is on order, not a drag bar this time but still a lower profile. Drilling the holes in the bar went much better than I expected!
  14. DesertPilot

Oddometer:
    I'd been wondering about that control width issue. That's one of the things that's slowed down my plans for a bar change. (That's handlebar, not pub. Pubs are easy to change :D) Keep us posted, and post some pics once you've got the winning setup!
  15. LuciferMutt

Oddometer:
    Sigh. The independent shop that did my 7500 mile service/valves for a great price has merged into Triumph ABQ and I found out my 15K service is going to be close to $1k. His hourly rates almost tripled to keep running his gig out of the new place. The actual Ducati place is even more expensive (and run by an automotive franchise now, so staffed with clueless people).

I'm no stranger to working on my bikes, but I've always hated valve work. I was OK paying somebody a few hundred bucks to do them but this is ridiculous. I haven't had any time to learn the ins and outs of working on a 2V Ducati, but this might force the decision.

OTOH, I might be buying the Scrambler a stable mate soon so the annual mileage on it will drop.
  16. JaySwear

Oddometer:
    Holy shit! That's absurd.
  17. LuciferMutt

Oddometer:
    They say it's a 6 hour job to the whole 15K service with valves, belts, oil, etc, mostly because of the "tight packaging" which requires a lot of disassembly to reach the valves. Having looked at it several times, I don't doubt it. At $120ish/hr plus parts you're just south of $1k.
  18. DesertPilot

Oddometer:
    Italian machinery tends to be like that. Years ago, I had an Fiat I prefer not to remember. According to the shop manual, you had to pull the cylinder before you pulled the engine... but had to pull the engine before you could pull the cylinder head. The one time I had to pull the head... is the reason I prefer not to rember that vehicle :D
    LuciferMutt likes this.
  19. LuciferMutt

Oddometer:
    Well, I inquired at a different place and got a much more agreeable deal -- $500ish for the whole 15K service. It's the same place that actually fixed my leaking countershaft seal when the bike was new.

Short story, I paid to have the parts ordered and will have it done there in a couple of weeks.
    JaySwear likes this.
  20. greer

greer Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Valve maintenance is the reason I decided to sell my Scrambler, it left here last night. Having been there done that, $500 ain't so bad.

Sarah
    Milosh likes this.