Scrambler Ducati....yep...its back!

Discussion in 'Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports' started by Jbone11 11, Jun 9, 2014.

1. JaySwear

JaySwear Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    WOW! Your Scrambler was one of my favorites. Replacing it with anything?
  2. greer

greer Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yamaha MT-07; valve checks only every 24,000 miles, what a relief.

Sarah
    LuciferMutt and JaySwear like this.
  3. JaySwear

Oddometer:
    Those are really cool, and sound amazing. I'm more drawn to the XSR though, just not a fan of the "modern" headlight trend going on.
  4. greer

greer Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Me either, but there's liable to be a headlight kit in my future.

Sarah
  5. ProfoundlyAmateur

ProfoundlyAmateur Adventurer

Oddometer:
    New to the Scrambler life. Not a perfect machine, but a lovable character. So many dirt roads to explore..
    IMG_20190526_162030.jpg
    JaySwear, 309 and DesertPilot like this.
  6. DesertPilot

DesertPilot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If all goes well, it's one more week until I get the Ohlins kit installed in front. The suspense builds! Or the suspension, as the case may be... :D
    LuciferMutt and 309 like this.
  7. LuciferMutt

LuciferMutt Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer:
    Did you ship/take your forks somewhere for the install or are you doing it? Which kit is it?
  8. DesertPilot

Oddometer:
    It's the NIX-30, with the Ohllins-recommended spring rate to match the Ohlins STX-46 I put on the back in April. This may be a wee bit stiffer than I'd have chosen on my own, but it may also be spot on. I'd considered the Andreanni kit to save a bit of money, but I figured this was one of those, "In for a penny, in for a pound, don't spoil the ship for a ha'pence worth of tar," kind of things.

Pro tip regarding the rear shock install: you do not have to pull the left passenger peg bracket to get at the lower bolt, which is fortunate, because one of the mounting bolts for that bracket also holds the sidestand on (don't ask me how I know this), but you do have to improvise a torque wrench out of a hex key and a length of pipe to fit things back together. Also, check the various forums to make Absolutely Sure the shock goes in right, with the rebound adjustment screw on top. I had a brief moment of panic there...

The Ducati shop up the street says they can install the fork kit for 3-4 hours labor, and they have a good reputation, so I'll give them a go. I could probably do the install myself, but this would take me considerably longer -- when I scoped the job, I estimated at least 12 hours, not accounting for the inevitable 'Dammit!' moments -- I'd need to buy or fabricate some tools, and 'probably' is such an treacherous word... as in, "We can probably cross the Atlantic without hitting an iceberg, Captain Smith," (see comment above about 'Dammit' moments). :D
    JaySwear and LuciferMutt like this.
  9. LuciferMutt

Oddometer:
    Well, my 15K service is done. $742.xx for the whole thing at the indy shop. Quite a bit more than I (or they) were expecting but they did everything; oil, filter, air filter, flushed both brake circuits, lubed all the cables and pivots, took care of the chain, etc. The bike did require some shim replacements so they had to order a few shims they didn't have. Both exhaust closers were tight.

I have a warning about the chain slack spec for these bikes. It's got to be wrong.

I've been setting my own slack sort of ignoring the spec of 27-29 mm by setting the slack while the bike is on a rear stand (so the rear suspension is loaded) and using a slack spec of about 1.125-1.250" (~28.5-32mm).

When I picked up my bike, I noticed the chain seemed very tight and was even whining when I rode the bike but I didn't have time to worry about it until yesterday. When I sat on the bike, I reached down, and tried the chain. it was literally as tight as a bowstring. I could have strummed it. Getting pissed off at the shop, I gathered my tools and checked my manual to see what the ACTUAL slack spec is and noticed Ducati says 27-29mm on the sidestand. The sidestand unloads the rear suspension a fair bit. I put the bike on the side stand and measured the slack -- It was exactly 1.062" which is 27mm. The tech had simply set it per Ducat's spec. I sat on the bike again -- chain was way too tight.

I have stock gearing. I'm wondering if Ducati's spec is based on a different bike and there is something about the Scrambler's rear geometry that makes it need a looser chain. Anyway, I reset to my old figures, while the bike was on the REAR stand, and now all is well. I can check and see what the slack is now on the side stand, but I guarantee it's considerably looser than 27-29mm; probably closer to 33 or 34. Searching around has revealed a few other posts complaining about the same thing.

Besides the chain slack stuff, the bike is running well but the new belts seem to be noisy, whirring loudly mostly right at 2K RPM. I'm becoming concerned they are too tight as well. I'm going to ride to shop in the next few days and have the owner take a listen and see what he thinks. The noise is worse when the bike is warm, which is a classic belt too tight symptom. :uhoh
  10. dunchooby

dunchooby n00b

Oddometer:
    I also found this out the hardway
    DesertPilot likes this.
  11. DesertPilot

Oddometer:
    The Ohlins saga continues. The Ducati shop decided that they didn't feel confident instaling the fork kit, but they recommended a custom shop that seems to have good reviews. The install has been rescheduled for the 17th. Fortunately all this delay means the weather is now too damn hot for me to contemplate sweating in an unventilated garage facing the merciless Calfornia sun for 12+ hours to do the job myself :)
  12. JaySwear

Oddometer:
    I just reinstalled the stock bar riser and moved the instrument cluster and now I have a HUGE gap. Is this how it is stock and I never noticed? I’ve had the Rizoma relocation kit on so long that I have no idea anymore. I’m just wondering if I’m missing a gasket or something or if this is fine. Just worried about rain water mostly.

Here are a couple pictures!

Attached Files:

13. ProfoundlyAmateur

ProfoundlyAmateur Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Mine looks pretty much exactly like that. I assumed the Italians figured good enough and called it at that
    JaySwear likes this.
  14. LuciferMutt

Oddometer:
    Sigh. My bike is definitely not sounding right. It's whirring and whining and chachachachacha-ing much more now than it was before i had it serviced. I did take a video but I'm not sure how to post it. I've put about 250 miles on it now and the noise has not improved and it definitely wasn't there before the service. It shows up as the bike gets warm to hot and is not immediately present when I start the engine cold, so I'm 99 percent positive the timing belts are too tight. I'm going to just remove the exhaust and belt covers and check the belt tension using the 5 and 6mm allen key method I've been reading about. Supposedly on all 2v bikes, you should be able to slide a 5mm allen key between the idler pulley and the belt on the horizontal cylinder and do the same but with a 6mm on the vertical cylinder. Slightly too loose is far better than too tight.

Any tips on removing the exhaust? I'm annoyed that this is a necessary step just to get the damn belt covers off.
  15. LuciferMutt

Oddometer:
    Update: I yanked the exhaust and the belt covers and checked my belt tension. I decided, after much reading, to apply the 5 and 6mm allen key method which is supposed to work great for all 2v aircooled engines. In short, you use a 5mm allen key as a spacer between the belt and the fixed roller on the front cylinder, and a 6mm on the rear cylinder. You tension the belt with the "spacer" in place, which allows the necessary slack. Google for more info... but, long story short is that the belts were indeed too tight (could barely get a 4mm allen key through), and after re-tensioning and putting everything back together the engine sounds normal! :clap

It was necessary to remove all components of the exhaust except the rear cylinder header just to get the belt covers off. Even the front header had to come (almost all the way) off just to get the horizontal belt cover off. I'm jealous of the exhaust routing on the Sixty2. Putting the exhaust back together was the most annoying part, but I don't seem to have any leaks, including at the horizontal header and I was worried about removing that since I wasn't sure if the gasket was 1-use only.

I suspect that the tech simply used the 140hz figure in the factory service manual for the belts, which, apparently, has been over-ridden by Ducati at least three times to lower it because it was causing noise and burning out idler/tensioner bearings
  16. JaySwear

Oddometer:
    Glad to hear it’s all back to normal. What a pain removing the whole damn exhaust, but at least it should be set for a while!

I’m coming up on 5,000 miles. Not much, but I plan on doing many more before I’m done with this bike.

ALMOST pulled the trigger on the QD Ex-Box exhaust, but decided against it because I like that this bike has a little bit of off-road capability. The Ex-Box really puts the pipe directly on the underside of the bike. I’d be too worried about rocks and such. Still, what a cool exhaust.

Attached Files:

17. LuciferMutt

Oddometer:
    If you like the underside exhaust style, take a look at the GPR Ghost:
    https://www.amazon.com/Scrambler-2014-2016-GPR-Exhaust-Silencer/dp/B019SVDSQO
    ProfoundlyAmateur likes this.
  18. JaySwear

Oddometer:
    I do like that one! This is kind of stupid but I’ve gone through a couple water crossings on my bike and I’d worry about having such a low exhaust exit. I’m thinking more like the QD Maxcone. A classic look for my Classic! But so far I’m really loving the Termi I got off of a Cafe Racer model.

Attached Files:

LuciferMutt likes this.
  19. LuciferMutt

Oddometer:
    Jay, what rear hugger is that? I'm tired of finding rock chips in the top of my rear swingarm...
    JaySwear likes this.
  20. JaySwear

Oddometer:
    It’s from Powerbronze. They’re in the U.K. but I’ve ordered from them twice and the shipping was pretty quick both times! I really like it. Wish I’d gone for flat black instead of the glossy, but it doesn’t really bother me anymore. Pretty low clearance to the tire too, so it looks good! Nowhere near rubbing though

Attached Files:

LuciferMutt likes this.