1. Livestream NOW at 9pm EST / 6M PST! Any Questions for Marc?
    Baldy + Alta CEO & Co-Founder Marc Fenigstein YouTube Live Chat here
    Dismiss Notice

Scrambler Ducati....yep...its back!

Discussion in 'Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports' started by Jbone11 11, Jun 9, 2014.

1. 309

309 Special Purpose

Oddometer:
    What are folks using for rear stands? Anyone using a regular Pitbull stand, as opposed to the Scrambler specific one?

Pitbull stands come up on Craigslist pretty often at good prices. I’d rather not spring for a new one.
    JaySwear likes this.
  2. JaySwear

JaySwear Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Curious too, it's time for some maintenance that I've been neglecting.
  3. DesertPilot

DesertPilot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I bit the bullet and shelled out the bucks for a Bursig lift. I figured 1) it's cheaper than a set of tires, 2) it's cheaper than an exhaust, 3) it's cheaper than a lot of things we never bat an eye at, 4) it will save me grief.

So far these have all been true...
  4. 309

309 Special Purpose

Oddometer:

I’m not even sure what that is, but the way you talk about it makes me think it’s priced too high. :)

It’s come time to do my first service and even just chain maintenance on this bike is a PITA without a stand. I know money is well spent on good tools, but my 13 year old kid is taking most of what I have. Saving my pennies for much needed suspension upgrades, but need some sort of work stand now.
  5. DesertPilot

Oddometer:
    You are wise. Those suspension upgrades will make the world a better place! In the meantime, check the Ducati forums to see how people have adapted Pitbulls to lift the swingarm, or if you can scrape $230 together, check out the Abba Superbike stand. You have to poke around their website to find it (and be sure to pick 'Superbike Stand' from their Products menu), but they do make one for the Scrambler.
  6. DesertPilot

Oddometer:
    Woke up early, fought traffic to take the Scrambler to the custom shop to get the Ohlins fork kit installed, discovered the shop was closed due to unexpected events, turned around, fought traffic back home, then fought traffic from there back to work.

Sigh...

Mondays... [​IMG]
  7. LuciferMutt

LuciferMutt Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer:
    I bought the Scrambler specific one. Regular stands will slide up the bottom of the swing arm without some pretty chintzy mods. The Scrambler stand works really well and is extremely solid. I use it all the time. It's only $189, which is cheaper than whatever it will cost when your bike falls off a crappy stand.
    JaySwear likes this.
  8. 309

309 Special Purpose

Oddometer:
    Did the first service (oil change) yesterday. Easy Peasy. Removing exhaust to get to the screen was a little fiddly, but overall still quicker and easier than some other bikes I’ve owned. Now I’ve got to get someone to clear the service light..
  9. DesertPilot

Oddometer:
    The Ohlins Cartridge Install Saga continues. In ways that may not be a source of joy. I just got a call from the shop -- one with a good reputation, that came highly recomended -- that the job has gone badly wrong. Oddly enough, this seems to have involved the right fork. Or ex right fork, as the case may be :(

Oh well, these things happen. At times like this, one must cultivate philosophy. At least I have the Tiger to ride while I wait. And I can always put off that exhaust upgrade until my bank account recovers :D
  10. LuciferMutt

Oddometer:
    Any specifics? IIRC, you need to drill out a pin or something on only one of the forks to take something apart to install new cartridges. It's easy to screw up and is one of the things keeping me from attempting any fork work myself.
  11. DesertPilot

Oddometer:
    The details remain unclear at this point, but it appears the left fork got done with no problem, but they decided they had to drill out the setscrew on the right fork as well and the drill went in too deep. This was one of those "Hmm, I will stop asking questions at this point because it's not going to help get the job done," kind of phone conversations. That infamous screw is why I didn't give it a go myself. Now I'm rather wishing I'd gone with Plan B (leave the bike on the lift, pull the forks, and ship them to a specialty shop), Plan C (buy a used fork on eBay, build a jig, and take as long as I needed to do the job myself), Plan D (buy the complete Ohlins forks rather than the cartridge set), or Plan E (get that Yahama XSR 700 instead).

Still, these things happen, it doesn't do any good to get upset, and the bike should be fun when it finally has a for-real suspension!
  12. LuciferMutt

Oddometer:
    This was a surprisingly enjoyable way to kill a half hour. This guy rides that Scrambler hard out there.
    Bain Dramage, Treadless and JaySwear like this.
  13. JaySwear

Oddometer:
    I love MotoGeo’s videos. He really doesn’t give that Scrambler any breaks!
  14. DesertPilot

Oddometer:
    The shop made good (awesome work, guys!), and the Ohlins NIX-30 cartridge kit is finally installed.

Life is good! :D
    IMG_1386s50x20r25.jpg IMG_1389s50x20r25.jpg
    falcn and JaySwear like this.
  15. LuciferMutt

Oddometer:
  16. DesertPilot

Oddometer:
    It's awesome! Worth every penny! This is the bike I always wanted to get!

-No more bracing myself for impact whenever I see an expansion joint.
    -It handles sharp bumps fine, just like it should.
    -It feels better all-around
    -Front end dive under braking seems a wee bit better.
    -No pogoing or other misbehavior

Note that I haven't had a chance to flog the bike through the corners yet on my favorite crappy road. Note also that this is before I've measufred the sag or done any fiddling with damping or rebound. I'll be taking a hex key along on a few rides, and it should keep getting better as I sort things out.

IMHO, the spring rates Ohlins recommends seem oriented toward hard street riding or track. If I was dong this again, I'd tell them I was 10 lbs lighter and go for 5% lower. But what they gave me is fine.
    LuciferMutt likes this.
  17. JaySwear

Oddometer:
    Sounds like those Ohlins might need to be my next big purchase! I love this bike, I just need it to love me back a little :D maybe a little suspension work will help.

I've been switching handlebars like a madman recently, using the stock bars now. And I'm remembering why I didn't like them in the first place! Weird angles seem to put my hands to sleep really quickly. My Streetfighter did the same thing until I changed the stock bars. I've finally got all the pieces to put my beloved variable LSL Tour X-bar back on! I love that thing. The center is so beefy it really helps lessen vibrations, and it just feels really solid on the bike. The angle is also much better for me.

I really thought I wanted lower bars, but after trying something close to a drag bar for a longer ride one day my back was absolutely killing me. I'll be really happy to get my fat bar back on! Too bad all the various parts to make that happen just cost so damn much.
  18. DesertPilot

Oddometer:
    How much sweep and pullback do those have compared with the stock bars? Do you have any photos of them on the bike?
  19. DesertPilot

Oddometer:
    Took the Scramber out for a 'spritied' ride on some of my favorite twisties this morning to geta better idea what difference the Ohlins cartridges make.

Wow.

Life is good.

And it should get even better after I tweak the compression and rebound settings. That's for the suspension, not life -- for life, you want to minimize the compression and have rebound cranked as high as it will go. Suspensions are more complicated :D
    309 likes this.
  20. JaySwear

Oddometer:
    I'll take some pictures today! Meant to last night and completely forgot. I'm dog sitting for a friend, so it's not as easy as running out to the garage to grab a shot. I do really like the crossbar I put on the stock bars, might keep that when I put the X-bars back on soon...
    DesertPilot likes this.