Scrambler Ducati....yep...its back!

Discussion in 'Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports' started by Jbone11 11, Jun 9, 2014.

1. JaySwear

JaySwear Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Here are a few shots of the stock bar compared to the X-bar. It’s actually really close to stock dimensions, but it just feels so much better for my hands and wrists. It’s swept back a tiny bit more and is a little bit shorter I think. And it has the beefy 1 1/8” center that tapers out to a 7/8” end, like the bars on most Ducati Monsters and on the Full Throttle.

Attached Files:

DesertPilot and 309 like this.
  2. ProfoundlyAmateur

ProfoundlyAmateur Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Can get enough of this little adventure machine! IMG_20190706_162351_122.jpg
    Union Pass, Wyoming
  3. DesertPilot

DesertPilot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for posting the shots! That bar is now back on My List. Two questions:

1) What did you do for the mounting point? Did you go with the FT clamps?

2) How much lower is the X-bar? My main objection to the stock bars are that they're too high -- almost as if Ducati had been trying to make a set of appendini scimmia (ape hangers).
  4. JaySwear

Oddometer:
    Not the best angle but here are the Tour LSL bars on the bike! This is when I had the Rizoma riser on that allowed me to fit the larger bars. I’ll be putting that back on soon along with a speedo relocation kit from Corsa Moto. The relocation kit is expensive! But unfortunately there aren’t that many options out there it seems.

Attached Files:

DesertPilot likes this.
  5. DesertPilot

Oddometer:
    Thanks. Not wanting to use that riser and relocation kit has been one opf the things stopping me from going to larger diameter bars. I'm contemplating putting on the FT bar and riser set, but cutting the bars down 1" on each side to reduce that colorful Texas Longhorn ('corno lungo del Texas') effect.

Are those the racks for the SW Motech Legend saddlebags? If so, how have they been working out? And is it possible to fit the larger LC2 bag on both sides?
    JaySwear likes this.
  6. JaySwear

Oddometer:
    Careful chopping any handlebar off! Just measure before you do; I didn't realize how much room the Scrambler's controls actually take up on a set of bars. Especially the right side (that reservoir was the killer). I grabbed a pair of drag bars to try and they were too short for me to fit all the controls. I was disappointed but should have taken the hint! I put lower (wider) bars on after that debacle and absolutely hated the riding position it put me in. I've conceded that the Scrambler does, indeed, need scrambler-style higher bars.

It is the SW Motech Legend gear! I love the racks, they blend in really well when I'm not using the bags. What I'm not a fan of is having two different size bags on the back. I think it looks goofy but unfortunately I don't think the larger bag would actually work on the right side. It would be seriously close to the exhaust if it would fit on in the first place. They're cool because they look like soft bags (and are, mostly) but have a more rigid bottom and back so they keep their shape. Love the bags otherwise! My Streetfighter 848 has the SW Motech Blaze saddlebag system on it. I think it fit that bike really well, but I didn't think they would look good on the Scrambler. I debated the Full Throttle luggage but decided it was just way too expensive for what it was.
  7. falcn

falcn Squidless Soul Supporter

Oddometer:
    Shame, it is soooo easy to do the valves on the air cooled DesmoDue engines. If you slap in the MBP collets you get 18,000 mile check intervals! Its worth the $300 for the collets, especially if you can do the work yourself to install them. Install at a shop during a normal valve adjustment should NOT add any time to the job.

Many Ducati Owners clubs have valve adjustment and belt change clinics for owners in the club (I used to host them in my old club in Pittsburgh). Any owner should check around for a DOC and inquire if anyone can help. I also used to teach people how to do their own valve adjustments on the air cooled engines to save them money.
  8. falcn

Oddometer:
    Get the LT Snyder maintenance manual for the 2V motor - it is quite simply the easiest engine to set the valves on out of all engines except screw and locknut adjusters. NO CAM REMOVAL required, No coolant draining required! I've done valve work on a lot of different bikes, and I really enjoy the simplicity and engineering of the Ducati 2V desmo set-up.

http://desmotimes.com/index.html look under written, DesmoDue/DesmoTre maintenance and mod manual.

Member here? They have to have mechanically inclined members....
    https://www.mad-ducati.com/TopicsMain.php
  9. DesertPilot

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info. I like the FT ergos when I sat on one at the shop, so I'm pretty sure the height would work. As for the width, I would indeed be measuring the bars before I pulled out the saw. "Measure twice, cut once, bitch about your mistake a hundred times," has always been my motto!

I too felt that the Assymetric Look for LC1/KC2 Legend saddlebag combo looked too... I dunno... assymetric or something. Now that I know the LC2s won't fit on both sides of a Scrambler, I feel a bit happier with my decision to order the Blaze system... which should arrive in a few more days, freeing me from the Dorky Brown Backpack Of Infamy on the commute to work. The Blazes (sounds like an English curse, doesn't it?) might not be as retro as for-real saddlebags, but if I squint and look at them just right, I can pretend they have a 'Nuovo Italiano' look that goes with the bike.

Now all I have to do is spring for some Dainese gear, lose three decades, and grow a beard :D
    JaySwear likes this.
  10. ProfoundlyAmateur

ProfoundlyAmateur Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for all the info about the valve checks guys! That was definitely a concern when buying the scrambler and not having a Ducati dealer anywhere close to where I ride.

Also wanting to find an exhaust that doesn't interfere with standing up on the pegs. The stock exhaust hits my boot, and makes me do this angled/duckfoot stance. Seriously considering the GPR Ghost exhaust from an earlier post, looks really nice all tucked up in front of the rear wheel. Any other suggestions for exhausts that allow for no compromise stand-up riding? Not sure I'd want to splurge for a full high pipe setup...
  11. greer

greer Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    We were managing the valve adjustment, not enjoying it, but managing. It's a big chore just to access the valve covers though, and the kicker was the failed quick connect on the gas tank resulting in a new fuel pump at the tune of $1000. You all be careful, careful removing the tanks on these bikes. The quick connects are unlike any we'd ever seen. Here's some discussion in case it's helpful:

https://www.scramblerforum.com/threads/tips-on-tank-removal.2255/page-7

Sarah
    falcn likes this.
  12. falcn

Oddometer:
    UGH Why companies continue to utilize plastic fittings on fuel pumps that are above a HOT engine that will make the plastic brittle is beyond me. I have metal quick disconnects read to replace the plastic ones on my Brutale tank the first time I need to take it off.

I would definitely not take the line off the tank, and I would fit metal dry-break quick disconnects in the fuel line to make taking the Scrambler tank off easier for myself.

Something like Colder LCD 17006V and LCD 22006V.

Ducati makes it seem so easy!
  13. greer

greer Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yep connections in the lines would be the way to go, live and learn, I reckon.

Sarah
    falcn likes this.
  14. DesertPilot

Oddometer:
    Headed out to fiddle with the new Ohlins suspension... and ride a few of my favorite twisities... and stop by a stream that runs through the redwoods, kick back, and relax. Yes, there are times when life is tough. This was not one of them :D

rIMG_1393.rx33x65.jpg
    ProfoundlyAmateur and JaySwear like this.
  15. JaySwear

Oddometer:
    I love that orange color! I wasn't so sure, then I saw one in person. It looks really great
  16. DesertPilot

Oddometer:
    That Atomic Tangerine color has been growing on me. This bike most certainly pases the all-important Go Out To The Garage Late At Night Tio Look At It test.

Now I have to find some of that tint to repaint the larger front fender I plan to swap in this fall whent he roads turn muddy again. Work. Ick. Phooey.
  17. JaySwear

Oddometer:
    I've been dying to get my hands on the Classic's "Sunset Orange" color, but haven't found any yet. Even had another company try to match it and it turned out pretty bad. The color match might have been ok, but the paint job itself looked like an arts-and-crafts project :fpalm
  18. DesertPilot

Oddometer:
    After a few weeks of trying this, trying that, and taking plenty of notes, I finally have the Ohlins suspension sorted out the way I like for street use. I ended up backing off the rear compression and front compression and rebound a bit, then dropping the front tire pressure from the rock-like ('come una roccia') 36 PSI Ducati recommends to a paltry and unmanly 34 PSI.

I still need to see how it handles the Expansion Joint From Hell on the way home from my favorite road into the mountains. With the stock suspension, this was always a remarkable experience ('esperienza straordinaria'?) But it handles less brutal road surfaces so well I fear that I'll grow soft :D

Update: I finally had a chance to try out the new settings vs the Expansion Joint From Hell, and I must say that's quite the expansion joint! Wow! We'll call this one a draw...
    JaySwear likes this.
  19. JaySwear

Oddometer:
    Jealous! I could totally have bought some decent suspension by now if I could just stop buying other things for the bike...

Speaking of! I just bought a new slip on exhaust, super excited! But it's just about a straight through pipe and it gets rid of the CAT. I'm honestly already worried it's going to be too loud for me, but I won't know until I install. Anybody have experience getting their ECU flashed or getting some sort of Power Commander/Rexxer to sort out fueling? I see a couple options but I really just want something simple that'll work with my current set up (stock airbox, QD exhaust).
  20. JaySwear

Oddometer:
    :twitch SO I stopped by the dealer on the way home. They were the opposite of helpful.

They told me “there’s really no point to reflashing an ECU, Ducati’s can’t really be tuned anyway.” Like... ok, the exhaust I’m getting has no CAT and is just about a straight through pipe. “No, there’s really nothing you can do. Buy a Termi, they come with a tune.” Ok but I already have the exhaust I want. “What exhaust?” A QD. “Huh, I’ve never heard of Cutie Exhausts.”

Just... really?! If there were no changes to be made by aftermarket tuners then there would be none of them out there. I just feel like I know nothing about bike electronics but I still know more than the service desk. Sigh. any insight, YFFs?