Scrambler Ducati....yep...its back!

Discussion in 'Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports' started by Jbone11 11, Jun 9, 2014.

1. LuciferMutt

LuciferMutt Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer:
    Sigh. I haven't been back to our local dealer since they tried to tell me my leaking layshaft pulley seal was "melting grease from the tensioner." Then they went tits up a year later, vanished for about 6 months, then reopened at a different location that also sells Hondas and is owned by a car dealer franchise. I will not be darkening their door. Bunch of clueless gits. My buying experience with them sucked too.

It is extremely likely you'll need your ECU flashed or modified to run correctly with a catless exhaust. I've read a lot about Rexxer and it seems like the easiest solution, assuming you find a good retailer (I'm not sure which ones are). You have to send them your ECU and they modify it and send it back.

Power commanders are a lot of work, and if you don't have access to a dyno to run the bike every time you make a change, you're really just farting into the wind and proceeding without a clue if anything you are doing is helping. Ideally, a power commander is tuned by somebody with dyno access who knows exactly what they are doing. OTOH, there are pre-made maps for a variety of intake/exhaust setups you can download from power commander's website for your power commander that are probably perfect adequate. But if your bike isn't running right with that map, you're in for a hell of a time trying to figure out which fueling cells to change and by how much to get it right.

There's a lot to be said for days of sizing and shimming carb jets...
  2. JaySwear

JaySwear Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks, Matt! Yeah, this used to be a fantastic Harley/Ducati/BMW dealership and the owner was a huge Ducati fan so they got a nice spot in the showroom. A year ago or so it was sold to a guy that already owns a couple other Harley dealers and it’s really become the Harley Davidson Show ever since. Sigh. There’s a great local shop I trust, but I was really hoping for something, ANYTHING, from the Duc dealer.

Rexxer looks like the best option, if I buy their unit it looks like I won’t need to mail them my ECU, I can just do it all from my own computer.
  3. marc2

marc2 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    You could just fit the QD pipe and see how it runs.

I've had a Scorpion end can and no cat on my Icon for the past 20,000 miles and the bike goes like a stabbed rat without any change to the fuelling.
    JaySwear likes this.
  4. JaySwear

Oddometer:
    20,000! That’s awesome. I think I might just to see how it does, but if I’m not mistaken the Scorpion was designed to work with the stock fueling. I was VERY close to buying one of those myself but just loved the look of the QD too much.
  5. RealOldDualSportGuy

RealOldDualSportGuy If we can't laugh, we will all go insame Supporter

Oddometer:
    What's not to like about a 2015?

Thanks
  6. marc2

marc2 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Some riders didn't like the snatchy initial throttle response, uncomfortable saddle, harsh suspension, no gear indicator, no fuel gauge...

I've had a 2015 Icon from new. It's now got 21,000 miles on the clock and I'm pretty happy with it. I have upgraded the suspension as I enjoy blasting around bumpy back roads and the OE shock was a bit unforgiving. Plus I've made some cosmetic changes like exhaust can and indicators etc.

I haven't ridden a later version so I don't know if they're better or not.
  7. DesertPilot

DesertPilot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    'Unforgiving'. An excellent choice of words! It is about as forgiving as the Spanish Inquisition :D

"I didn't expect an OEM shock!"

"No one expects the OEM shock! Ou chief weapons are surprise, bad damping, and a ruthless inefficiency!"
    LuciferMutt likes this.
  8. marc2

marc2 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    ...the Spanish Inquisition :D
    Ah! The great Monty Python. You're showing your age now! :lol3
  9. DesertPilot

Oddometer:
    ..showing my age? Yes. Alas.

I remember manning a checkpoint fro a rally where one dressed as the Spanish Inquisition. But at least the competitors were driving cars and not wagons... :D
  10. JaySwear

Oddometer:
    I have a 2016 that has the same (supposedly) snatchy throttle. Never really had any issues with it! I thought my old Streetfighter was worse, honestly. I did have a tech ask me if I had done any performance upgrades on my bike because when he gave it some throttle to pull it around it really jumped on him :lol3 Nope! Just that lovely stock Ducati throttle response!
  11. 309

309 Special Purpose

Oddometer:
    I found my 2018 to be disappointingly docile stock. I immediately installed an earlier model throttle tube and a smaller countershaft sprocket. Much better. I do not find it “snatchy” at all.

I feel that much of the feedback we hear about the Scramblers is a reflection of them being marketed to new riders. The two Scrambler forums certainly show this.
  12. DesertPilot

Oddometer:
    I'm thinking there might be a fair bit of variation between bikes. My stock suspension was so 'remarkable' it was almost unrideable. Other people shruig off their bike's shocks as 'a little bit rough'. I suspect the same may be true for the throttle response.

Bottom line, these are great bikes, but Italian machinery, like Italian girlfriends, may demand a bit of extra attention and respect...
  13. RealOldDualSportGuy

Oddometer:
    Recommendation for Engine Crash Bars/oil cooler protections bars for a 2015 Scrambler?

Asking for a friend who drops things
  14. 309

309 Special Purpose

Oddometer:
    Yesterday I finally got around to raising the forks a bit. I’ve wanted to do this since my first test ride and couldn’t tell you why it took me 900 miles to get around to it....

Really made it a nicer bike to ride. Turning in and holding a line feel better both on and off road. Nice.

I celebrated by taking my 2018 Mach 2.0 on a proper off road ride. Not single track but a good rutted up Colorado 4WD road with plenty of rocks. The bike did fine and came out unscathed.

Enjoying the bike. Wishing for a taller/flatter seat (Seat Concepts looks good to me) and better suspension. I’d really like a longer shock, which I think only Maxton offers. Anyone know of other options?
  15. RealOldDualSportGuy

Oddometer:
    How much did you raise them?

Asking for a friend

YRMV
  16. 309

309 Special Purpose

Oddometer:
    8mm of fork showing, not including the cap.
  17. RealOldDualSportGuy

Oddometer:
    Thank you

Will tell my friend
  18. RealOldDualSportGuy

Oddometer:
    Suggestion for online parts ordering?

Local dealer does not keep much in stock.

"We can order it for you, it will be two or three weeks"

YRMV
  19. LuciferMutt

LuciferMutt Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer:
    https://www.ducatiomaha.com/

I ordered a bunch of small parts to mount my classic rear fender from these guys, had it all in less than two weeks.

THey don't have parts fiches for the Scrambler line so you have to go here: https://oemducati.com/
    for the part numbers. Copy the part numbers you need and plug them into the "enter part number" box at Ducati Omaha. Or you could contact them, but the part numbers route worked perfectly for me.
    JaySwear likes this.
  20. JaySwear

Oddometer:
    I've purchased through Ducati Omaha a couple times. They were pretty quick!