Scrambler Ducati....yep...its back!

Discussion in 'Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports' started by Jbone11 11, Jun 9, 2014.

1. RealOldDualSportGuy

RealOldDualSportGuy You Played it for her, you can play it for me Supporter

Oddometer:
    Anyone?
  2. 309

309 Special Purpose

Oddometer:
    Now that I’ve been riding the Scrambler a good bit, it’s time for...

Gripes:

The bike is too damn small. I knew it was small. I generally like small bikes though I haven’t owned one in a long time. I like how easy they are to throw around. As it turns out, my age and knee problems mean I can’t adapt to them the way I used to. Spending much time on the Scrambler makes my knees hurt. I’m thinking I’ll have a custom seat made. By my measurements taking the dip out of the seat and making it essentially flat will give me a couple of more inches of leg room. A significant difference that I think will help.

What it won’t help with is:

WTF were they thinking with those passenger peg mounts? Once the road gets twisty and fun I need to put my toes up on the pegs to keep from dragging them on the ground. Doing so means my heels are splayed way the hell out by the passenger peg mounts. This ruins the narrow feel of the bike and adds to the discomfort. I may just have to live with this one as doing anything about it appears to be a major undertaking.

I still dig the Scrambler. It’s beautiful. The motor is sweet. Power to weight ratio makes for a fun ride. Handling is really nice despite the budget suspension. I plan to keep it for a long time and will do what I can to rectify the comfort issues. Just sharing the gripes that were on my mind during my morning ride today.
  3. LuciferMutt

LuciferMutt Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer:
    I agree, the ergonomics of the bottom half of the bike are not good. The placement of the stock exhaust and passenger peg brackets are terrible for riders who put their toes on the pegs. Above the seat things are OK, IMO, depending on your handlebar. I found the Icon bar way too high and far back (I'm tall) but the FT bar is much better. I'd probably be even happier with the Cafe clip ons.
  4. 309

309 Special Purpose

Oddometer:
    FT bar was stock on my bike and is perfect for me. I agree that he cockpit ergonomics are great.
  5. JohninVT

JohninVT Long timer

Oddometer:
    74C70DE8-FA9D-4A2C-B53E-EEB2C9E1A44A.jpeg 244B9770-E755-4E99-A923-D0058B951CCB.jpeg I loved the drivetrain, luggage and looks of my Guzzi 1400 Touring but couldn’t come to terms with the cruiser ergonomics and pushing 700+ pounds around in the driveway got old. I sold it and bought a leftover 2018 Classic Street this week for $3000 off MSRP. I already know I’ll be springing for the comfort seat. Here’s the last Ducati I owned:
    bobw and LuciferMutt like this.
  6. YamaGeek

YamaGeek Skeletor sparklemuffin.

Oddometer:
    Pretenders. DUC_7_21_2.JPG
  7. JohninVT

JohninVT Long timer

Oddometer:
    Picked up my Street Classic last weekend. I rode it a couple hundred miles and then put it up for the Winter....in the living room. E72FAC15-E103-404E-A150-9D35632B4280.jpeg

Attached Files:

bobw, 309 and conrado like this.
  8. 309

309 Special Purpose

Oddometer:
    Picked up a new Renazco seat from @motogon. I'm not completely sold on the looks because it's sort of huge, but I think the color and the suede match the retro theme of the bike well.

I can say from just sitting on it in the driveway that it's way more comfortable. Gives me some of the leg room I needed. Can't wait to give it a test tomorrow.

Attached Files:

bobw and DesertPilot like this.
  9. DesertPilot

DesertPilot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'd been wondering about those Renazco seats. Thansk for the photos, and keep us posted!
  10. 309

309 Special Purpose

Oddometer:
    I put in a good day on it yesterday and found the seat to be a big improvement over stock. It's taller, which helps with leg room. It also allows me to change position much easier. On the straights I could scoot back for a wide seat and less bend to the knees then scoot forward for control in the fun parts. I've decided I like the looks too. Recommended.
    DesertPilot and JustKip like this.
  11. DesertPilot

Oddometer:
    The fuel guageon my 2019 Icon stopped workinmg. Then, two days later, for no apparent reason, it started working again. Was the float stuck or was this an example of the remarkable character ('carattere') that makes Italian machinery so treasured and distinctive?

Life is full of mysteries... :D
  12. 309

309 Special Purpose

Oddometer:
    I’m a sucker for heated grips but I wasn’t willing to shell out the big $$ Ducati wants for theirs. I still wanted a clean install though so I did a little research...

Looking at this pic of the wiring for the factory heated grip connections I saw that the plugs used to blank off the connectors had wires attached.

9D189D25-CAC6-43C0-BAE1-3189021EFE40.jpeg

I removed those and spliced them to the wiring for some $45 Symtec stick on heated grips. Had my local shop activate the controls and presto, warm hands.

Just putting it out there that you can have heated grips using the factory controls without shelling out the big bucks.
  13. LuciferMutt

LuciferMutt Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer:
    Unlikely that the fuel gauge uses a float, but a bimetallic sensor strip of some kind. Any number of foreign substances on the strip could make it not work right.
  14. DesertPilot

Oddometer:
    You could well be right. Now I've grown curious. I'll have to look it up.. someday... when it's raining too hard to go riding...