Scrambler Ducati....yep...its back!

Discussion in 'Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports' started by Jbone11 11, Jun 9, 2014.

1. LuciferMutt

LuciferMutt Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer:
    I won't get many miles on it until it really starts to warm up; it's been way too cold to ride very much lately.
    DesertPilot likes this.
  2. LuciferMutt

Oddometer:
    Anybody put the G2 throttle tube on their Scrambler? https://www.g2ergo.com/shop/g2-street-tamer-throttle-tube-ducati/

Still looking for a smoother transition between closed and open throttle.

I've got about 130 miles on the Rexxer flash now, all of it around town. Two things are clear at this point: the engine is running a lot cooler, and midrange punch is a lot fatter with no more flat spots or surging as the revs rise. That annoying bucking/hesitation at constant 4K RPM is gone too. On/off throttle transition is still pretty bad though -- would like to try the G2 next, plus I want to replace the grips because the stock grips SUCK. Grips suggestions?
  3. DesertPilot

DesertPilot Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just about any other grip will do, but the weird thing about the stock ones is, first I hated them, a year later I think they're great, and couldn't imagine going to anything else.
  4. LuciferMutt

Oddometer:
    Well, I've put 18,000 miles on the stock grips and they've finally annoyed me enough I want to replace them. Kept thinking I'd get used to them, but I never did, and every time I get on my Suzuki, the stock grips are so much better I'm shocked.
    DesertPilot likes this.
  5. marc2

marc2 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I put on Beston grips like my old Norton wears and they were horrible!

Ended up with Biltwell Thrusters!! Ooh-er missus!!
    LuciferMutt and DesertPilot like this.
  6. LuciferMutt

Oddometer:
    FINALLY got out on a real ride this weekend, out of town about 80 miles. First time to really stretch the bike's legs since the Rexxer flash and my new front tire.

The bike definitely picked up some mid range horsepower. It REALLY wants to go between 4 and 6K now. The fueling is still not perfect though....it is smoother and missing some of the annoying flat spots and surging, but it seems to be more grumbly when cold and the on-off throttle transition may actually be worse than it used to be. Also, if I'm not mistaken, it seems to engine brake harder than it used to, accompanied by a lot more popping on the overrun (air injection?). It is running way cooler. I was able to do my first fuel mileage calculation since the Rexxer flash and noted a 15 percent decrease in fuel economy from what I've always been getting. That entire tank was purely around town riding though, so I'm guessing the real decrease is going to be closer to 10 percent, which I can live with.

I did order a G2 throttle tube/tamer and some new grips yesterday, so we'll see what that does. The RoadSmart 3 front tire feels fabulous as far as I can tell. I didn't wail on it too hard because the edges aren't scrubbed in yet, but it feels really light and neutral rides a bit better than the PR3.
    JaySwear likes this.
  7. JaySwear

JaySwear Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My bike has been getting more and more fussy about starting cold. When I start the bike up I can almost always count on it bogging down and dying until it's warmed up. Anybody else had this issue? Once it's up to temp it's fine, and if I stop someplace and hop back on it's usually ok. It's just really kind of more annoying than anything. I just want to make sure it isn't the sign of a bigger issue or something more to come.

I was thinking a Rexxer unit might fix this issue, but it sounds like it had the opposite effect for @LuciferMutt
  8. LuciferMutt

Oddometer:
    You might send David an email and see what he thinks. I only experienced the "grumbly when cold" problem once, just pulling out of my street, and it was about 38F outside which is probably the coldest I've ridden in.

Are you sure when you put the stock exhaust back on that you don't have any exhaust leaks anywhere? I had a hell of time fitting everything back together properly when i took mine off to re-tension the belts. Have you changed your spark plugs or air filter yet?

I got the G2 and new grips installed last week. It's not the magical difference in throttle smoothness everyone would have you believe, but it IS improved. More importantly, I think, is that the physical throttle action is much smoother. There is still a massive amount of side-to-side play in the throttle tube though. The stock tube had this problem, and so does the G2. All they had to do was make the ridge that captures the throttle tube in the housing about 1/32" wider and it would be perfect. I've gotta see if I can shim it with a delrin washer or something, because it's very annoying to have a throttle tube that goes CLACK CLACK side to side.
  9. DesertPilot

DesertPilot Long timer

Oddometer:
    My 2019 Icon takes about 30-60 seconds to wake fully from its slumber when started from cold with temps in the 40s. I just take my time before I pull out of the driveway, and take it easy for the first mile or two once I'm on the road. So far that's been enough. If it gets worse, then I'll worry, but no sign of that so far.
  10. JaySwear

Oddometer:
    OK, thanks guys. I haven't changed air filter or spark plugs but this bike is going to get a little overhaul this spring. New chain, oil change, air filter, spark plugs now :D, and maybe brake fluid.
  11. Airider

Airider Adrenaline Junkie

Oddometer:
    I changed the oil the other day. I also got some tire paint and did the lettering, look fresh. I have the new twin cafe seat on order, excited about that as it will raise the seat by a bit. But here how she sits now.

C0A0629A-38A3-48D8-A663-75DB6F8E080C.jpeg
  12. LuciferMutt

Oddometer:
    Visited my bro on my Scrambler yesterday. He lives up a long gravel driveway. What is it about the Scrambler that every time you get on gravel you HAVE to goose the throttle and spin the rear wheel? I spun the wheel half way up his drive, then got into the ABS skidding around stopping at the end of it, then did the same thing leaving. My bro was probably shaking his head muttering about hooligans or something. I've never had a bike that makes me wanna do that stuff on gravel before, even on the street tires I've got on it right now. :ricky
    JaySwear and Mobiker like this.
  13. JohninVT

JohninVT Long timer

Oddometer:
    Put another 50 miles on my Street Classic on Sunday. It has about 250 miles on it now. I think the bike is comically low geared. It’s nice for tooling around and ripping from corner to corner but it makes for a tiresome grind at steady state speeds if you’re traveling somewhere. I rode the bike home from the dealership last November and promptly bought a Comfort seat because the stock seat was so bad. I think the stock Scrambler seat is the only seat I’ve ever sat on that’s almost as bad as a DRZ400. Sunday was my first chance at getting some time on the bike with the new saddle. How’s the Comfort seat in comparison? It’s about 4% better than the stocker. Maybe 5% if I’m being generous.

All that being said, I knew exactly what I was getting before I bought the bike and I really enjoyed my ride. It’s going to be perfect for blasting around for an hour or two after work or for a weekend afternoon.
    JaySwear likes this.
  14. JaySwear

Oddometer:
    So it's getting time to replace my tires. I'm thinking Pirelli Angel GTs, but will they work with spoked wheels? Obviously I'll still have to have a tube, but I thought I had heard a while back that various tire beads won't seat on a wheel that has spokes instead of a cast wheel. Any help? Any good sources for this type of info?
  15. LuciferMutt

Oddometer:
    You can use any tubeless tire on any of the Scrambler rims; no problems with beads. You will, of course, still need tubes.

I highly recommend Dunlop RoadSmart III tires. Available in the proper sizes and I'm more and more impressed with mine the more I ride them, particularly for the price.
    JaySwear likes this.
  16. LuciferMutt

Oddometer:
    So, in my search to try and fix the Scrambler forks so they don't ride like a jackhammer, I've discovered a company called Maxton in the UK.
    Apparently they can supply a single GP20 cartridge and spring assembly that is only fitted to the right fork leg, and the left leg is left alone. In the factory form, only the right leg does any damping anyway, but it does a terrible job of it. Maxton retains the design that the right leg does all the damping, but at least with the GP20 cartridge it does the damping very well with two pistons, one for compression and one for rebound. Rebound can be made adjustable with a simple mod to the stock fork cap to allow access to the adjusting screw. I've read some very positive reviews on this mod, but the most attractive part is that is that it costs about half of what the next lowest cost option does (Andreani) because it's only one cartridge instead of two. Furthermore, it's easy to install because you don't have to mess with the dreaded left fork leg and its stupid design that requires machining, etc to disassemble.

I'm aware about the other options like cutting the preload spacer down, but they are all band-aids. Nothing is going to fix the terrible valving except a new cartridge.

I'm been in email contact with the owner about shipping a cartridge to me, and, even given about a $90 shipping fee, the total cost looks to be well under $400. I will update with more info if I move forward.
    JaySwear and DesertPilot like this.
  17. DesertPilot

DesertPilot Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you go that route, take a look at the spring rate as well. I went full Ohlins with springs that might have been a bit on the firm side. The result is... um... 'firm'. If I had time nmachne, I'd go back and tell my former self to go with a slightly lower rate.
    LuciferMutt likes this.
  18. JaySwear

Oddometer:
    Cool, I'll check those out! I've only had Pirelli tires on my last two bikes, but I'm not at all opposed to trying something new. I've actually thought about getting a Kineo front wheel because they offer a 17" wheel for the Scrambler, but I just can't justify the price to myself. Even if it does get rid of the tube. I'll just deal with the weird 18" front for now :dunno I've also considered getting a rear wheel off of eBay and just having mismatched wheels, spoke on the front and cast on the back. I've seen this done a couple times and thought it was kind of cool, but I just love the spokes on my bike!
    LuciferMutt likes this.
  19. DesmoDog

DesmoDog Desmo was my dog. RIP big guy.

Oddometer:
    Rather than buying a time machine, wouldn't it be cheaper to pony up the $150 on another set of springs?

Yeah, that's not nearly as funny now that it's typed out... Anyway, springs are cheap. In a year you won't remember what you paid for them and the bike won't nag you about having the wrong springs every time you ride it. (I've sold projects before because every time I was out in/on them all I could think about were the things I wanted to change).
    JaySwear, JustKip and DesertPilot like this.
  20. Denizerdem

Denizerdem Adventurer

Oddometer:
    2017+ throttle profile is the smoothest out there. 2015 the harshest. G2 sits somewhere in-between.