Scrambler Ducati....yep...its back!

Discussion in 'Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports' started by Jbone11 11, Jun 9, 2014.

1. JaySwear

JaySwear Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Cool! I'll send them an email. I remember looking at their site a while ago, but they really don't have any bike-specific items listed so I wasn't sure if they could even help me with a Scrambler or not.
  2. DesertPilot

DesertPilot Long timer

Oddometer:
    Do you have to drill out the Infamous Lag Screw to install the current Maxton setup? That's a big issue with the Andreani and Ohlins.
  3. LuciferMutt

LuciferMutt Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer:
    No. That was probably the main reason I went Maxton. It doesn't change anything in the left fork at all (but I changed the oil since it was time). They supply a single cartridge with an appropriate spring that does both the compression and rebound damping in just the RH leg, just like stock, the difference being that the Maxton cartridge is not a steaming pile of donkey shit like the stock parts. So obviously, any kit that puts a cartridge in both forks is probably going to perform a bit better, but they all cost about twice as much and require messing around with that bizarre left fork left design.
    DesertPilot and HiJincs like this.
  4. DesertPilot

DesertPilot Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm thinking you made the right choice. If I had to do it again, that's the way I'd go.
    LuciferMutt likes this.
  5. HiJincs

HiJincs Dreamer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Which Shock and Inserts?
  6. marc2

marc2 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I had it done a few years ago but I think the shock is the basic NR4 Maxton and the fork insert is the same as LuciferMutt fitted, just in the one fork leg.
    JaySwear and HiJincs like this.
  7. JaySwear

Oddometer:
    My Dunlop Roadsmart III arrived in store yesterday! The weird front size that is, they already had the rear in stock. Thanks for the recommendation @LuciferMutt! Did some research and it sounds like it'll be a great tire for the riding I do. I'm a little embarrassed and a little proud to admit, but these will be the first tires I'm replacing after giving them a good amount of wear and not because of a puncture! Haven't ridden the Scrambler as far as I did my old Streetfighter before I traded it in, but I do ride the Scrambler a bit harder I think.

Also going to put the stock bars back on soon to see how I like it. I have a love-hate relationship with them. I love how tall they are but the bend isn't great for my wrists. I've been looking for a good bar that's similar in height but with a straighter bend, but no luck yet. I have a LSL fat bar on now and really like the heavier bars just for reducing vibration.
    DesertPilot and LuciferMutt like this.
  8. LuciferMutt

Oddometer:
    You're gonna love those Roadsmarts. The III is a in a different league of tires compared to the Roadsmarts of old. Enjoy! I'm headed off to order one for my rear tire maybe today or tomorrow.
    JaySwear likes this.
  9. DesertPilot

DesertPilot Long timer

Oddometer:
    Tell us what you think of the Dunlaps compared with the Pirellis. The more opinions I can get, the better!
    JaySwear likes this.
  10. LuciferMutt

Oddometer:
    I've had the stock MT60s, Pilot Road 3s (with a 4 on the back), and now Roadsmart 3s on my Scrambler. The Roadsmarts are by far my favorite. Compared to the stock Pirellis, the Roadsmarts roll much more smoothly, and don't vibrate nearly so much, especially at higher speeds. They have more than enough grip for my silly riding, and the turn in is much more precise, and there is no more wiggly weird bullshit feeling while leaned over. They are much more willing to turn in than the Pilot Roads ever were, and wear much more smoothly -- ever Pilot Road I've ever run on any bike feathers horribly and starts to handle like crap WELL before the tire is worn out. The MT60s were just kind of "OK" in every sense, and were basically non-offensive to me, but they wore out way too fast and felt weird while leaned over hard. The Roadsmarts do none of that.
    Xtyling and DesertPilot like this.
  11. DesertPilot

DesertPilot Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the input! I just put a new MT-60 on the rear at 5,000 mi -- yes, I am not the poster child for 'spirited riding' :D -- and I'm planning to change both when the front looks worn.
  12. tennmoto

tennmoto Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just your last sentence says it. And to sweeten the deal this light Ducati responds to controls so well it’s intoxicating. Countersteer hard and she gets down in a curve, we have those here in East Tn, comes out hard
    With that awesome engine and tracks so accurately . Why, why did I wait so long. Haha
    JaySwear likes this.
  13. JaySwear

Oddometer:
    That's not bad! I'm just about to replace mine at about 6500 I think. It's the first time I've actually worn out a tire from use!

Work has been absolute bonkers this week so I haven't had the chance to get the bike by the dealership. Or even call them back. When the boss comes back from vacation maybe I'll be able to get it over to the shop and have them swap the tires for me. Can't wait!
  14. JaySwear

Oddometer:
    Anybody know what this seat is? I like the look of this thing a lot, but can’t figure out what it is or who makes it. Since I saw it at the dealership I figured it was a Ducati accessory, but I can’t find it on their official site

Attached Files:

15. DesertPilot

DesertPilot Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you have lift, getting the wheel off is no big deal, but you do have to pull the license plate holder and tie it out opf the way so the wires don't break, and it takes some fiddling to sort out the rear brake and squeeze the tire past some bits, because that's all so Italian :D

I strongly recommend doing it yourself if you have a chance so you can see how it all goes together and take this chance to clean stuff. Also, if when you do things like this yourself, you pick up karma points, which you can trade in for a Valuable Prize, like a toaster oven or something.
    HiJincs, JaySwear and JohninVT like this.
  16. JaySwear

Oddometer:
    You're absolutely right. Honestly the only thing keeping me from doing it myself are the spoked wheels! I've watched so many tire change YouTube videos over the last couple weeks trying to psyche myself up for it, but just decided I'll spend the money for the install and maybe tackle this myself next time :fpalm

Just put my stock bars back on last night. I've had lots of fun dressing the Scrambler up as a café/tracker/bobber/thing but now I'm back to stock handlebars and mirrors, the works. Forgot how comfortable and upright those bars are! They do have a weird bend for my wrists though. Maybe I'll get used to it.

I've been having lots of trouble with my throttle hand getting numb or falling asleep, so I thought I'd change up the handlebars to see if that helped. When my hand falls asleep and I come to a stop I have a habit of slapping my thigh trying to get feeling back into it. A driver saw me in his mirror and leaned out his window to ask if I wanted to go around him :lol3 I must have looked like an impatient biker outlaw to him or something
  17. DesertPilot

DesertPilot Long timer

Oddometer:
    What bars have you tried so far? Having gone down the Windscreen Rabbit Hole until I settled on an MRA NT Touring flyscreen, I figure the Handlebar Rabbit Hole is next.
  18. LuciferMutt

Oddometer:
    I've seen seats like that on the newest gen Cafe Racers. The factory Cafe Racer cowl fits over the rear part.
  19. JaySwear

Oddometer:
    So the stock bars were left on for a while, but the bend was a little too straight for me. My hands would be more comfortable angled back a bit. Then I went to the XB-3 from LSL handlebars. I had them on for a long time! They have a smaller inner diameter which works well for lots of different bar end accessories, that was nice. I used my nice Rizoma bar end mirrors that I had left over from my Streetfighter. THEN I tried a drag bar, that didn't work at all because the controls for the Scrambler are actually pretty wide and wouldn't all fit on the bar! That was disappointing, but honestly with my lanky legs I would have hated a drag bar anyway. Lastly, I went with a classic looking chrome bar from LSL that had a slight bend in it, enough for the controls to actually fit this time, and it was close to a drag bar so nice and low! It looked amazing and I had round bar end mirrors that really finished off the look! The bad part? I couldn't ride for any longer than 30 minutes without my lower back just pounding. I think it was a weird crouched position, my knees were up high and I was leaning down to reach the bars. I'm sure it didn't look nearly as cool as I thought. Switched back to the old trusty XB-3. Had that on for years until this past weekend when I put the stock bars back on. They're tall, lots of my old bar ends won't fit in the huge inner diameter, I'm back to using the stock mirrors which I'm not a huge fan of, but they're comfortable. Just still with they weren't so straight!

Sorry for that essay :type Basically I'm trying to make my Scrambler back into a practical but fun bike, and the lower bars didn't seem to be helping me achieve that.
    DesertPilot likes this.
  20. JaySwear

Oddometer:
    The bike as it sits currently! Not so sure about the weird fairing on the front now that I’ve got taller bars on there. Changed back to the stock bars so that I could use the hand guards from Evotech. So far I’m liking the new look and usefulness of this! What a great versatile bike the Scrambler is.

Attached Files:

DesertPilot likes this.