Scrambler Ducati....yep...its back!

Discussion in 'Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports' started by Jbone11 11, Jun 9, 2014.

1. LuciferMutt

LuciferMutt Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer:
    I kinda like that fairing. It reminds me of the asymmetric fairings on some of the old Buells.
  2. Xtyling

Xtyling Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It's been almost 4 years with my Icon. My list of gripes are 1) engine heat 2) 18 inch front tire limits tire selection 3) engine heat. I have been itching to sell it, but every time I start her up and hear her lovely tune (rexxer remap and exhaust modded) and ride nimbly around I hesitate.

I have spent way more than I wanted customizing her to fit and ride well, that I doubt I can ever let her go.
  3. JaySwear

JaySwear Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Let’s get some pictures in here! Stock or not, let’s see those Scramblers. This thread is really pretty slow recently
  4. HiJincs

HiJincs Dreamer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ok, I'll bite:

I've been dreaming about riding LD on an ADV bike for a while now and have bought, farkled and then sold about 6/8 bikes that rarely left the state of Georgia. I finally accepted the fact that until I retire, cross country rides are a pipe dream. So, . . . I bought a 2019 Full Throttle late last month for toolin' around the North Georgia mountains and scootin' back & forth to work.

When I bought it, it looked like this: (sitting next to the 2012 Wee Strom that I sold after getting the FT)
    IMG_3970 (1).JPG
    Now, It looks like this:
    IMG_4177 (1).JPG

Mods installed so far are:
    Sticker removal, aftermarket footpegs, Acerbis Handguards, Dart Classic Windscreen, High Front Fender, Puig Rear Hugger. On order is a Mustang seat and Pazzo shorty levers.

I decided against the Rizoma dash relocation kit since I didn't want to have to look down from the road to see the dash.
    Still working on the possibility of luggage, (tail rack and bag, tank bag, panniers). Using a backpack for now and it's ok.
    Not a fan of the current tail tidy solutions for the FT since I don't have a rear fender.
    I actually like the look of the OEM exhaust but hate the great big exhaust canister hidden behind it so who knows.
    Before I bought this, I test rode a 2015 Icon with a DDS Key map and aftermarket exhaust and boy, oh boy was it way stronger than this thing.

There, I hope that can rekindle this thread!
    JaySwear likes this.
  5. JaySwear

Oddometer:
    This thread might be dead, but those Roadsmart 3's from Dunlop really brought my bike back to life *bu dum tss*

Seriously though, I'm really impressed. Went for a nice long ride on Saturday, breaking them in and then just enjoying some back roads.
    LuciferMutt and HiJincs like this.
  6. JaySwear

Oddometer:
    A little back road break after I was pretty confident that I’d broken the new tires in. I really liked the stock tires but these Dunlop Roadsmarts bring a whole new feel to this bike!

Attached Files:

7. LuciferMutt

Oddometer:
    Yep, I love mine. I'll never go back to pilot roads, even on a bike they fit. The RS3 is a better tire.
  8. badgermat

badgermat Adventurer

Oddometer:
    How do the Dunlops compare with Pirelli Angel GTs (assuming you've tried them)?

bm
  9. JaySwear

Oddometer:
    I haven't. I was actually between the two, the Dunlop Roadsmarts and the Angel GTs. I'm happy I went with the Dunlops, although I've never had Pirellis I didn't like!
  10. jsaf594

jsaf594 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have Angel GT's on mine, PO installed them. They feel pretty good, but I couldn't tell you how they compare to other tires since this is my first bike.

One of the nice things about being a new rider is that I'm not sure what things are supposed to feel like. Suspension? Works I think. Throttle feel? Makes me go, so that's fine. Seat? having too much fun to think about it.

[​IMG]
    JaySwear and HiJincs like this.
  11. JohninVT

JohninVT Long timer

Oddometer:
    The Scrambler is a good Class 4 road bike. The forks are brutal but if you sort of putter along and treat it like a TW200(that can go 100mph) it’s lovely.
    C10953D3-D205-4248-ABF3-0270687278FB.jpeg 13C8535E-23E8-46E8-9686-4C66D1B83847.jpeg 3649BDCD-9096-4200-8319-FEF28BD0E195.jpeg ADA63A43-ED94-45F0-A70F-BB79BA7AB057.jpeg 13C0A120-C147-4387-9576-B2F0BC74275D.jpeg 6495E856-8B9C-4E98-92D1-0E7B2C976505.jpeg 7C7B840A-523C-4680-B3A3-90D9C57640ED.jpeg F28BBEA6-16F4-42B9-B391-671B1DE6C02D.jpeg C10953D3-D205-4248-ABF3-0270687278FB.jpeg
  12. tennmoto

tennmoto Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
  13. marc2

marc2 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Couple of snaps from today's frolics to keep the thread going...

duc1.jpg duc2.jpg
    Scoozi, DesertPilot, JaySwear and 3 others like this.
  14. tennmoto

tennmoto Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    A guy on Facebook Scrambler group posted 60000 miles on a 5 yr old Icon
    jsaf594 and cozmo2312 like this.
  15. LuciferMutt

Oddometer:
    Well, after nearly 22k miles on my '16 Full Throttle, I traded it in yesterday on a 2019 W800 Cafe. My frustration with not being able to get the fueling right or the suspension to ride smoothly finally got the better of me after a test ride on the Cafe which has impeccable fueling and a supple ride. Yep, it's (a lot) slower than the Duc. I find myself not caring, as it has plenty of go juice for my type of riding. It also has valve maintenance I can do myself, real tie-down hooks, I can order a center stand for it directly from Kawi, and the paint on the tank is gorgeous. I like the style of the instrumentation better too, but I will miss the dual trip meters and ambient thermometer the Duc had (despite the fact it usually read about 5f higher than it actually was).

I liked my Scrambler quite a bit, but looking back on the whole affair, I never clicked with it the way I wanted to. I changed more stuff on that bike than I have ever changed on any motorcycle before it. I was chasing the ideal image of what I expected it to be, and I could never get it there. I've only put 65 miles on the W, and it felt and rode exactly the way I imagined it would. I already know it's a long-term keeper and will be one of my favorite bikes of all time.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Farewell Duc brothers!
  16. DesertPilot

DesertPilot Long timer

Oddometer:
    Scenes like that are why we keep it. I keep thinking we should sell it and get something more practrical -- though since my idea of pe'more practical' is currently a Moto Guzzi V7, my judgement may be open to question -- but then I pull off for a stop during a ride, or merely walk out to the garage, roll up the door, see the Scarmbler sitting there oozing Italian seduction, and think, "Who needs practical?"

Also, my wife still demands that the Scrambler becomes hers when she feels ready for it :D
  17. JohninVT

JohninVT Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm kind of in the same boat. I can't decide whether to keep it or not but I'm leaning towards not. I think a T7 or even a Desert Sled would fit my riding a lot better. The trouble with that is they're both too much $$$, IMHO. I got a great deal on my Scrambler, which was a big part of why I pulled the trigger. The Sled and Scrambler both suck for two up riding and I'd probably be a lot better off on a Guzzi V7 since Guzzi is my first love but then I'd have to stay off the goat paths I've been riding this summer. I also hate matte paint and I guess I'm old fashioned but exhausts should be chrome or stainless. Flat black looks cheap and ugly. The V85TT is nice but I'm just not going to ride a $13,000, 500lb motorcycle through the woods.

Obviously the answer is multiple motorcycles.....
    Scoozi and HiJincs like this.
  18. LuciferMutt

Oddometer:
    Very true. If I had the room and money, I'd probably own four. I've been capping myself at two for the last couple of years.
    tennmoto likes this.
  19. DesertPilot

DesertPilot Long timer

Oddometer:
    You could always look for beat-up old Eldorado. Then you could ride a $500 13,000lb motorcycle through the woods :clap
  20. JaySwear

Oddometer:
    I've been trying to turn the Scrambler into something it's not for close to 4 years now. Still hasn't quite clicked. No idea what I'd trade it for, but it's just not quite the right bike.

Unfortunately I got a flat tire this weekend! So bummed. I heard a pop and it felt a little wobbly, parked at my girlfriends house and it went totally flat. Haven't inspected the tire too closely but didn't see anything obvious. Could it have been a bad tube? Either way it sucks. Not sure how I'll get it to a shop. The nearest shop is a little sketchy, and my ideal shop is probably a 30 minute ride.