Screw it! I'm gonna ROOST and sleep in the dirt!

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Joe Motocross, Sep 27, 2020.

1. Zubb

Zubb he went that-a-way... Supporter

Oddometer:
    And next thing you know you have a pillion and are staying in hotels. DAMHIK!
    2upMoto.JPG
    Foiler, Ginger Beard and Franque like this.
  2. danh600

danh600 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have to agree with her. That first cup of cowboy coffee while camping is awesome.
    Joe Motocross and Ginger Beard like this.
  3. Tsin

Tsin Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi Joe! I don't post much, but I have to thank you for the hours of entertainment you have provided. I very much enjoy your reports! Keep them coming :clap
  4. mcrotty1

mcrotty1 n00b

Oddometer:
    That battery mut have a capacitor that stores a little juice, just in case. Some carry a charged up capacitor for just this reason, it seems very convenient to have it built in. That way you don't have to waste a strap attaching it to a spoke or your turn signal or something.
    Joe Motocross likes this.
  5. Sparrowhawk

Sparrowhawk Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    That's not exactly how battery eliminating capacitors work. A charged capacitor will loose it's charge within minutes. However, if you have a kickstarter you can bypass a dead battery with a adequately sized capacitor and it will will take a charge within a rotation of the alternator and power the ignition system, allowing the bike to start. A capacitor will not hold sufficient energy to power an electric starter.
    Ginger Beard, NoelJ and Joe Motocross like this.
  6. Joe Motocross

Joe Motocross Adjustafork.com - CEO

Oddometer:
    Man @Osadabwa, you are definitely on the level. The fact that manufacturers are delivering bikes to the showroom flower with no kickstarter infuriates me. Is the motorcycling community becoming so soft they can't kick start a bike anymore? What happens when something goes wrong out there? Anybody ever flood a bike in a river? Good luck getting that started again with no kickstarter. Battery will be dead in no time. You better hope you're in position to tow and bump start at that point.

More words of wisdom. Believe me, I'm not a fan of the fancy shit. I'm a total skeptic. Seen too much shit fail out there. I can't say I'm 100% confident in that Anti-gravity "Re-start" tech battery I have. After all, one already failed that the company admitted was bad and replaced. For reliability, it's hard to beat a good quality lead acid battery. The absorbed glass mat (AGM) seem good also since they are so closely related to the lead acid. Yeah, they weigh more but perhaps are more trustworthy.

Exactly. I carry a capacitor for the 500 XC-W. Unfortunately, the fuel injected bikes are not built to run with no battery from the factory. Gotta power that fuel pump. (definitely makes one consider the simpleness of carbed bikes) Replacing the battery with a capacitor allows you to run the 500 fuel injected bike with no battery (as long as you have a kickstarter to get it started). The 950 Super Enduro needs some juice from a battery to run the ignition. I tried the capacitor that I use in the 500 but it's not quite enough to keep the 950 running. I'm gonna get a bigger capacitor for that bike.

This conversation is directly related to the Fundamentalist philosophy. The fundamentalist chooses machines that are simple and reliable while delivering what you need to get the job done. The choices are actually not all that great out there.
    Foiler, outbacktm, chudzikb and 2 others like this.
  7. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    Good to hear of another weirdo that appreciates the ADV-F mentality. I crack myself up when I type this hogwash. Now, we gotta finish this tale up. Last day of riding coming up.
    Ginger Beard and dano619 like this.
  8. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    The bikes were light. We had tapped most of our supplies aside from a little lunch in our packs. We started punching it. Hotstuff wrecked almost immediately. No biggie. Just a little tip-over. We stood her bike back up and continued.
    d12b - 1.jpg

Freaking good riding right out of camp!!
    d12b - 2.jpg

Soon we were into a canyon that was one of a few routes that we could choose to get back to the truck. This one scares a lot of TAT riders.
    d12b - 3.jpg

This is Black Dragon Canyon. Pretty nasty name for something that, in reality, is some of the tamest terrain we get into.
    d12b - 5.jpg

I don’t know the exact historical origins but I assume it’s an old mining or ranching route. Now, ATV recreationalists are the main users. Pretty damn fun!!
    d12b - 6.jpg

We were thoroughly enjoying this. There are some sections that open up and you pick up speed.
    d12b - 7.jpg

Then there are enough technical sections to keep you occupied.
    d12b - 8.jpg
  9. NicKel78

NicKel78 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No kidding. The choices frankly suck. Everyone has a feature or two to offer but not one seems to put the whole package together worth a fuck.

What about it scares the TAT riders?
    Joe Motocross likes this.
  10. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    Evidently, it is one of the more challenging sections of the TAT. I don't actually know but I've heard numerous tales of TAT riders who claim "barely escaped with my life" warning others not to attempt it! It's all perspective. I'm assuming these are basically noobs to motorcylcling with overloaded bikes.
    Foiler and Ginger Beard like this.
  11. NicKel78

Oddometer:
    :hmmmmm

You haven't posted pics of anything I wouldn't be willing to take my little XT250 through. The sand might suck though but I have never had the opportunity to find out at the level you guys ride so still naive and willing to try.

I once thought the TAT sounded cool. But more and more I feel TAT is just missing a letter. Where did that damn W run off to?
  12. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    This is cake for a 250. Fun riding. Even the 790 would eat this up. A capable rider could push a GS1200 up this although maybe they'd sweat in a spot or two. I believe what happens is due to inexperience. The route follows the wash but isn't always right in it. It climbs out and traverses beside the wash and dives back in a bunch. After flash floods, tracks are erased. It would be easy for a novice to come through and just stay right in the bottom of the wash and not see where the route exits the wash from time to time. Then the sweating crapping his pants overloaded KLR riding TATer is boulder hopping in much more technical terrain where the route actually skirts through easy terrain just a few feet away from him although he is unaware. Just a guess.
    Foiler and Ginger Beard like this.
  13. NicKel78

Oddometer:
    The gf and I went out a couple weekends ago on the XTs doing dirt county roads. Decided to cruise the short pavement into a nearby town for lunch. A Beluga rider parked by us and the XTs looked so tiny by comparison I thought they might fit in his panniers.
    thegraydog likes this.
  14. Sparrowhawk

Sparrowhawk Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
  15. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    Hotstuff bumbled and tipped over on this little rock move.
    d12c - 1.jpg

No sweat. We stood her bike up, she fired it and kicked it into gear and was off again.
    d12c - 2.jpg

In short order, we were through the main section of the canyon and it started to widen up as we ascended.
    d12c - 3.jpg

Soon we were up in the high plateaus. We’d stay up here through mid day.
    d12c - 4.jpg

Break time. We had some food and chatted about what routes we wanted to ride for the last part of the day.
    d12c - 5.jpg

There are so many good routes it’s hard to choose. You can’t go wrong. We opted for routes that weren’t too demanding yet had enough action so we wouldn’t get bored.
    d12c - 6.jpg

This terrain is a complete maze of madness. The scenery blows your mind. The riding is top notch.
    d12c - 7.jpg

We were in the 7000 foot range. The weather was absolutely perfect. We were getting to be within striking distance of the truck. At this point, even if there was a breakdown, it wouldn’t be a huge ordeal.
    d12c - 8.jpg
    Foiler, forgorin, bomose and 18 others like this.
  16. liv2day

liv2day Life is about how you handle Plan B Supporter

Oddometer:
    It's shots like that @Joe Motocross that help with the mental fatigue of making it through the cold, dark winter months. What a fantastic way to spend a morning in the wild, looking over the water with some coffee (even sans-crow).

Appreciate you taking the time to document both the ride photos as well as those around camp. Riding is therapy, but so are the destinations that riding gets you to.
    svo_jon and Joe Motocross like this.
  17. liv2day

liv2day Life is about how you handle Plan B Supporter

Oddometer:
    I continue to be blown away by the diversity in terrain and scenery you have out there @Joe Motocross, you've gone from camping by the water through canyons to high desert and plateaus - incredible. There's a lot that I love about riding in the southeast corner of Oregon and it offers plenty of diversity, but nothing like what you have.

Good update man, and good on you for capturing the minor offs - well balanced reporting :lol2 :lol2

Not going to lie, will be unhappy when this wraps up as it's been a regular source of enjoyment and distraction. And I'm still waiting for my libtard adjusta-forest rake :lol3 :lol3 :lol3
    Joe Motocross and dano619 like this.
  18. NicKel78

Oddometer:
  19. willibauer

willibauer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Damn..I don't know what to write but I want to. What an amazing landscape you got there. I got no words. I wish I was living anywhere in the vicinity. I really love the wide range and free space.
    d11c - 4.jpg
    Here in germany, if you were to take such a picture, there'd be a dozen villages on it. Not that it would matter, going "offroad" is mostly prohibited anywhere..

Anyways, I like your style of adv-f. Really a thing I'll consider on my next little "adventures". What I wonder is: how do you find your way out there? On some pics there are trails, ok, those will lead somewhere. But on some there arent, and you don't seem to carry a gps? isn't there a big chance you run out of gas and water and ...stay there forever?
    Probably funny question for you, but as someone who almost never left tar roads, I gotta ask ;-)

Please keep posting your reports, that makes the situation much more bearable for those who can't travel atm. I'll have a whiskey on you in the meantime! (Although I prefer the Irish peated stuff...)
  20. chilejack

chilejack Viajero Viejo

Oddometer:
    "Dead reckoning" :-) Or as D. Boone put it, "I ain't never been lost , but I were a might confused for 3 days once."
    Foiler, outbacktm and Joe Motocross like this.