Screw it! I'm gonna ROOST and sleep in the dirt!

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Joe Motocross, Sep 27, 2020.

1. Sparrowhawk

Sparrowhawk Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Once you become familiar with an area and have a general idea of where things are located it's fairly easy to figure out the way. For an example, if you are heading over a mountain range, the road or trail is generally found at a low pass, and the way to the pass is generally up a valley.

It's easy enough to get lost in civilization too. Many years ago I spent a summer riding around Europe. One day I needed some things while traveling through Munich. I parked my bike and headed down into the underground Stachus Passagen shopping center. I got totally turned around and came up a different way. I probably spent an hour wandering around in the city before I found my bike.
  2. Zubb

Zubb he went that-a-way... Supporter

Oddometer:
  3. todd83-900t

todd83-900t Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That area used to be so much better before it was discovered and everyone sprayed about it.
  4. Joe Motocross

Joe Motocross Adjustafork.com - CEO

Oddometer:
    I learned to navigate before we had access to GPS. Paper maps were all that was available. You learn to travel by using prominent features like a mountain peak or a certain mesa. It involves lots of backtracking after you've taken a road or trail that dead ends or heads in a direction you don't want to go. I do carry a cell phone that has a gps mapping app but I prefer to use the old methods when exploring. Usually, I'm not really trying to get anywhere. I just want to move through the terrain and see where all the routes go. Most of the riding is on a trail or old road. Lots of these are quite faint to the point where it appears there isn't anything there. Some dump into washes and follow the washes that flood and erase tracks giving the appearance that there's nothing there. You get used to calculating fuel but there definitely are times when things don't go quite as planned and shit gets tight!! The western US is pure magic for Fundamentalists. It's their natural habitat.
  5. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    Sorry for spraying.
    Frostguiding likes this.
  6. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    The sand was LOOSE!! No problem though for Hotstuff. She’s been around out here long enough to not only be able to handle it, she can actually enjoy it.
    d12d - 1.jpg

I again have to say that she was on fire. The couple of tip-overs she had were just that. No big deal. She was riding with confidence. When you got that, you are pretty unstoppable.
    d12d - 2.jpg

We came to more intersections and chose another great wash to descend from the high plateau. It was another sandy SOB. Fun stuff!!
    d12d - 3.jpg

Hotstuff making it look easy.
    d12d - 4.jpg

The wash spit us out onto a graded road heading toward our truck.
    d12d - 5.jpg

We could’ve ridden a more intricate route to finish off but we figured we’d had such a great ride, might as well end it easy and clean.
    d12d - 6.jpg

Bam! We were done. Mission accomplished. Epilogue to follow.
    d12d - 7.jpg
    Kyron, motocopter, dano619 and 32 others like this.
  7. todd83-900t

todd83-900t Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    NO NO NO, you're fine. The ADV-F modus operandi is to keep your localities low and tight.
    Joe Motocross likes this.
  8. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    ^^^Yes, this is true. Perhaps even better to not advertise anything though through threads like this. But I can't help myself from spraying on this website!! It provides hours of useless entertainment to me. Way better and healthier than yelling at Orange on the TV. Gotta let that type of shit go.
  9. NoelJ

NoelJ Long timer

Oddometer:
    Over time I've realized that this sort of thing gives the impression that you may risk swamping your area with new riders, but in actual practice it doesn't happen. It's remote enough to be a happy dream for most viewers, and only that. The areas near a big population center are the ones that'll get overwhelmed.
    Alternatively, just refer to everything you show as "Moab". They love the advertising and nobody who doesn't deserve to know the truth will ever figure it out. Finally, there's not much growth in the dirt bike world - if you posted this on a SxS forum, it would be a crime. Here - we're dropping out at a faster rate than recruiting. Most guys reading this thread are 50+.
  10. Bruincounselor

Bruincounselor North Plains Drifter Supporter

Oddometer:
    :stupid

Happy dream - maybe ten-eleven years from now when I'm retired...
  11. powderpig

powderpig Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Joe, before you go, I would love to hear about how Hotstuff has developed her admirable bike handling skills. Did she grow up racing bikes, start riding at a young age?
  12. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    Oh man, there's some really classic shit right there!! Hahahahahaha!! I'll send that suggestion about "Moab advertising" to my buddies over there. They'll love it. Truth hurts.
    chilejack likes this.
  13. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    The first thing that came to mind when I read this is that you might want to consider not waiting that long. Obviously, financial and other obligations need to be considered but we ain't getting any younger either.

Roost Scripture: Do not boast about tomorrow, for you do not know what a day may bring forth. Do what you need to do today which is roost! Don't wait to receive the ROOST LORD. Don't put off doing the will of the ROOST LORD!!
  14. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    To be honest, she's just a natural. She's been riding for only about 10 years. She has previous professional level mountain bike racing experience so that helps. She clobbers me on a mountain bike.
  15. Zubb

Zubb he went that-a-way... Supporter

Oddometer:
    ^^^^^^^ . . . this . . . . helps . . . . . immensely.
    I did a bit of Mtn Bike racing in CO, and with just a bit of ADV off road training to understand and manage the 600 lb'ers. . . the principles, instincts etc came roaring back. Just knowing how to pick a line, weight/unweight the bike has profound impact even on these big rhino's.
    sorry Joe, I was just under the unction of the Holey Goat and couldn't contain myself.
    Joe Motocross and outbacktm like this.
  16. chilejack

chilejack Viajero Viejo

Oddometer:
    :beer
  17. Bruincounselor

Bruincounselor North Plains Drifter Supporter

Oddometer:
    Preach!

My (extended) off time is pretty much limited to July - Probably not a good time to visit the desert SW. At 51, I just started riding off-road this summer and had a few visits to the Black Hills and really, really, really like it. I have a background in mountain bike riding so I'm moving along nicely on my DRZ. Seeing this all was a happy dream, but:

I do have 9 days this March.... I may have to get organized. Thanks for that push!

Keep that Gospel coming!
  18. powderpig

powderpig Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Mountain bike skills and dirt bike skills are definitely interchangeable...all about the ability to control the bike and your balance through body positioning. Well done, Hotstuff!!
  19. live2ridetahoe

live2ridetahoe BSN, RN, CEN, TCRN, MICN Supporter

Oddometer:
    My MTB skills definitely come in handy off road as well on my pig of a bike.

Got asked for a review of the XL Voile straps I purchased recently. Was going to mention how they are essential in the church of ADV Fundamentalism... Basically, the more straps you have, the higher you are ranked in the church. Sound about right?

Then, while mowing the lawn, something came to me. It was a passage from the Bible I have not read in a while. Hey Bible, I fixed it for you...

“Thus the heavens and the UTAH were finished, and all the host of them. 2 And on the seventh day God finished his work that he had done, and he ROOSTED on the seventh day from all his work that he had done. 3 So God blessed the seventh day and made it holy, because on it God ROOSTED from all his work that he had done in CROWation.”

God, please grant me helmet time.

Tahoe
  20. Sparrowhawk

Sparrowhawk Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm curious if it's still fairly easy getting parts for a 20 year old EXC. I was starting to find "No longer available" on some parts for my beloved '00 LC4 640E.

That 520 doesn't look like a garage queen that only gets ridden to church on Sunday. From your stories it sounds more like it gets ridden in church quite frequently.

[​IMG]
    benedikt.m likes this.