1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Screw it! I'm gonna ROOST and sleep in the dirt!

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Joe Motocross, Sep 27, 2020.

1. Joe Motocross

Joe Motocross Adjustafork.com - CEO

Oddometer:
    Ginger Beard and Oldschoolrocker like this.
  2. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    Day 4

Swag pulled into town early the next morning. One of our goals for this journey was to give Wally’s 790 a thorough test in soft terrain. Swag is new to Adventure Riding. He usually rides a 300 two-stroke or a trials bike. He bought the 701 last spring so he could do longer multi day journeys. We figured he’d be a liability with the stock 21” tire so we swapped it out with an 18” rim that was on Wally’s 500 XCW. Same hub, just needed to change the rotor. Swag was excited to try the 18.
    d4a - 1.jpg

It was afternoon before we started rolling. No problem. We had no plan so what did it matter?

Swag’s bike came with some sort of “Rally” fairing jobby that the last owner installed. We don’t go in for this type of modification. Too bulky, too heavy, too prone to getting smashed. Strictly our opinion, of course. (I found that the fairing does provide some minor wind protection at higher speeds) He figures he’ll run it until it’s smashed and then put something smaller on. This “Rally” doo-dad prompted us to question what riding style we were doing. Were we Adventure Riding? Enduro? Rally? Dual Sport? I don’t think we ever figured it out but we drank a lot of whiskey trying.
    d4a - 2.jpg

Weather factors are a huge dictator in our route selections. We had a minor weather disturbance moving through which was producing showers over the mountains and scattered showers in the valleys. We decided to stay down in the valleys in hopes it would be easier dodging any shower that we might come upon.
    d4a - 3.jpg

We were covering a lot of ground utilizing these smooth graded county roads. Swag immediately noticed the improved traction of the 18” front wheel especially when braking.
    d4a - 4.jpg

We would stop occasionally to assess the clouds and choose our route accordingly.
    d4a - 5.jpg

After passing through a town for fuel, we got onto more obscure roads. This one was a service road for an irrigation ditch. Swag was starting to understand the 18” front wheel.
    d4a - 6.jpg

We would ultimately stay along this ditch for the rest of the day.
    d4a - 7.jpg
  3. docwyte

docwyte Long timer

Oddometer:
    I know they add weight but I really like the wind protection that the rally style fairings give. I admit I'm also a sucker for the way they look
  4. NicKel78

NicKel78 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    They also provide a great little cubby to stash an aero coffee press and camp chair in. :imaposer
  5. sprink

sprink Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Makes it a $30 bottle, standards you know!
  6. svo_jon

svo_jon Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Your getting raked over the coals.... it cost me $20 on sale! How do you say no to that!?!?

Jonathan
  7. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    The Presiding High Council always commends honesty. Good on you for coming clean.
    Ginger Beard and docwyte like this.
  8. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    We crossed the canal a few times but continued to follow it upstream.
    d4b - 1.jpg

Scattered showers continued to pop up. Not a huge concern.
    d4b - 2.jpg

Eventually, the two-track yielded to a better maintained graded road. Swag had WAY too much shit with him. Typical for an ADV noob. We intended to show him The Way.
    Roost Scripture: But those who desire chairs fall into temptation, into a snare, into many senseless and harmful desires that plunge riders into ruin, destruction and melt-downs.

He is buddies with the guys who own Mosko Moto. I think he had the 80 liter setup along with some auxiliary attachments. Really nicely made gear but too much to be ADV-F compliant. This 80L lets you bring too much shit. It flops all over the place when hitting gullies or large bumps. Bottom line: that setup will only flop so many times before something bad happens. I guess they make a 40L that might be ADV-F compliant. For serious riding, luggage can’t flop and flap around. It needs to be secure to the bike. Swag was riding around two-up with his chick and this setup. Perfect for that application.
    d4b - 3.jpg

We found a lonely canyon and entered into it just far enough to find a secluded camp where no one would bother us.
    d4b - 4.jpg

The first thing I usually do when I get to camp is scurry around and see if there’s anything that I can use as a chair in front of my front wheel. I like chairs. I’m just not going to carry the extra unnecessary bulk and weight when I can be perfectly comfortable without.
    Roost Scripture:
    ‘Comfort, yes, comfort My people against their front wheel!’ says your ROOST LORD.
    Come to Me, all you who roost and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest against your front wheel without the need of a chair.

d4b - 5.jpg

Wally laid down on his tarp. Swag built himself a mini stool. I started slugging whiskey, extremely comfortable against my wheel. The Presiding High Council were in their element, deliberating over complete nonsense.
    d4b - 6.jpg

Soon it was time to put the steaks on the Adjustaforks. The “Steakstand” prototype really is a tool to behold. I can’t really recall anything else that was pertinent about that night except trying to figure out if we were Rally, ADV, Dual Sport, etc, blah blah blah. I do remember that Wally passed out first and it was a battle between Swag and I to see who won a little game we call “who’s the drunkest?” I think it was a tie.
    d4b - 7.jpg
  9. JP4

JP4 Thumper Geek

Oddometer:
    Enjoying your sermon from afar in the PNWet JM. I've heard the stories and seen the pictures for years from my old riding buddies Wally, Buff, and Laptad, but could never make it on those road trips out that way. Went to school with Blurry and Danny V. All good blokes. I learned about Old Crow and sleeping in the dirt a couple decades ago from riding with those guys. Always good times. Thanks for the epic tales of Roost!
    Btw, I noticed in that last photo no fewer than 6 Wally straps. Is that, along with the Adjustafork, not the most important invention since canned beans? He should probably be knighted or something for that.
    JP
  10. Sparrowhawk

Sparrowhawk Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Don
    Don't forget about the ten chairs worth of weight for the metal guards you need to protect the Dakar poser fairings.

Rally fairings are designed to protect the roadbook and add some wind protection for the rider. They are heavier, way more expensive, and don't provide the level of wind protection, unless you like turbulence, as something simple and cheap as the Bajaworx screen. Rally fairings on dirt bikes are like high heels on a bridesmaid. All for looks.

Compare the 950 Adventure to the 950 Super Enduro. All that Dakar poser plastic may make you feel like you're Meoni but it only adds weight, complexity, shit to damage, and helmet turbulence.

Maybe stop by the local Harley dealer for some handlebar tassels to really dress up your adventure bike. Was that too harsh? I've been drinking old fashioneds so apologize.
    forgorin, Ginger Beard and benedikt.m like this.
  11. Ginger Beard

Ginger Beard Instagram @motopossum

Oddometer:
    Waaaaitaminute!!! Swag has his bike loaded down with what looks like at least 130 liters of storage and none of that crap is a chair?? Then wtf is he carrying?!! :lol3
    Cav47, forgorin and CharlestonADV like this.
  12. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    Ah, so you know a number of the Presiding High Council. All touched in their own special way. And you know how crucial the Voile Strap is for motorcycles. Maybe we will cross paths at some point. I'm gonna hook up with Blurry next week.
    JP4 likes this.
  13. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    Now now @Sparrowhawk, we are working on being more acceptive during these troubling times. Appearances are important to some of us. Others are strictly function over fashion. It's all good, just be honest about it like @docwyte. Fundamentalist will see right through false claims of rally fairing benefits.
    Ginger Beard likes this.
  14. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    Yeah, all that and no chair!! He told me that one of his riding buddies up in the northwest carries a chair AND A TABLE!!!!! I'd never heard of such a thing. Shocking.
    Foiler, OHjim and Ginger Beard like this.
  15. svo_jon

svo_jon Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The table probably goes along with that fold out tent that stays attached to the back of the bike, like a roof top tent for a car.

Jonathan
    Joe Motocross likes this.
  16. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    Due to possibly landing at a camp in a campfire restricted area, I was carrying a stove which I wasn’t that happy about and typically don’t do. Since we looped back to base to meet Swag, I was able to find an o-ring in my shop that was close enough to fix my stove. Since I had the stove along, I figured I’d use it. It completely threw my morning routine off. I made croffee first. Next, I heated vegetables and added some ramen noodles. The stove was no doubt convenient. The one good thing I can say about this one is that it burns unleaded so I’ll never run out and I don't deal with fuel canisters.
    d5a - 1.jpg

I wouldn’t say we “lounged around” but we certainly didn’t bust our ass to get on the trail. Again, the great thing about carrying minimal gear is you don’t have all that much to deal with.
    d5a - 2.jpg

Shortly after the sun hit our camp, we were rolling. Wally suggested we head for the big reservoir which would be a solid day ride away. I liked the idea. This would be the location where he melted down last spring before getting his 18” front wheel and meatier rear tire. He wanted to see what I rode last spring. It would be a good test for the improved 790. It would be a good test for Swag also on his new 701.
    d5a - 3.jpg

We had some miles to cover if we were going to land at the reservoir this evening. We slabbed it across the valley to get to a canyon we would ascend. We stopped by Mystic Hot Springs to check what was going on there these days. You can rent these “hantavirus hideouts” by the night. They also have a grassy area under the trees where you can camp. Eclectic establishment to say the least.
    d5a - 4.jpg

Soon we were climbing the canyon that would lead us to a high plateau.
    d5a - 5.jpg

Very cool canyon.
    d5a - 6.jpg

Someone has a sh!# eating grin under that helmet. He's loving that 790.
    d5a - 7.jpg

We would ascend to about 9600 feet and ride there for an hour or so. Swag was enamored by the 18” wheel at this point. He was shooting texts to his buddy that is a fellow 701 owner. (I think it's the guy who carries a table) His buddy was very intrigued. Look at all that sh!# on the back of Swag's bike! :imaposer
    d5a - 8.jpg
  17. Jeathrow Bowdean

Jeathrow Bowdean Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Same for me,,, got no time too change the World...
    Throw the leg over the seat and pin-it
    20200919_134839.jpg

Got no time too turn on the world news,,, stand in a line up,,, protest that cup cakes matter...
    Im my own cup cake that needs attention... Ha
    20200919_102021.jpg

20200918_123441.jpg

20200925_141719.jpg

20200530_110045.jpg

20201008_114314.jpg

20200925_110745.jpg

Away from humans at the top of the world,,, what else couldn't a person asking for...

Cheers all
    N-Id-Jim, td63, svtride and 3 others like this.
  18. NoelJ

NoelJ Long timer

Oddometer:
    I got a 790 Duke this summer and I'm very impressed by the engine. I could see it making a killer dirt bike in the right chassis. Still hoping for that EXC version. I know it won't happen, but we can hope. In the meantime the 701 is working while I ponder a long-ranged 500 for a travel-in-the-van bike.

Love these pics and narration Joe!
    Joe Motocross likes this.
  19. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    You're loose. Not sure how this relates to the story but I like it. That bike is minimalist for sure.
    Jeff Sichoe and nutmagnet like this.
  20. OldDirtBiker

OldDirtBiker Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I just turned 74 and sold my 1200GS, 50 years ago we were where you are today. We were buying Ducati 250,350,450 Scramblers and modifing them for all types of riding. We went with the same fronts only we used 19" and aggressive rears at 18" we high piped and went with Greeves wider and heavier handlebars, Cheriana front forks and girling shockes. We owned the Ore coastal rannge and the Bend area high mt. and desert. I'm afraid I will not ever get back to were you guys are, but I enjoyed your posting. Don't quit what you are doing. I would buy a new setup tomorrow if I believed I could do some of what you are doing. New knees, couple back opps and a brush with cancer is going to put me on the golf course for the next 20 years, but I won't soon forget the run I had from the mid-sixties until now. You guys are doing it right. Aron in Meridian, Idaho