1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Screw it! I'm gonna ROOST and sleep in the dirt!

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Joe Motocross, Sep 27, 2020.

1. Joe Motocross

Joe Motocross Adjustafork.com - CEO

Oddometer:
    Solid. Completely solid. I'm honored to get a nod from the "desert sled" generation. Your generation is what inspires me. I'm trying to punch it as hard as I can while I can. You get it, thank you.
  2. bbanker

bbanker Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    "And lo, when his roosting days were done, the Roost Lord looked upon him and tipped his mug of Croffee. And he feasted on the memories of years and miles of smiles. And he finally could rest in a chair."
    N-Id-Jim, jonz, Toddv and 6 others like this.
  3. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    So freaking good....... This is good stuff. Makes me emotional.
    EN_NSE, Zubb, Foiler and 2 others like this.
  4. Sparrowhawk

Sparrowhawk Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    The worst thing is when your riding buddies get old before you do.
    N-Id-Jim, Zubb, RedDogAlberta and 2 others like this.
  5. dano619

dano619 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    This shit is G double O GOOD!! Thank You!
    Zubb, Ginger Beard and bbanker like this.
  6. docwyte

docwyte Long timer

Oddometer:
    Disagree on the wind protection/turbulence. I've ridden plenty of bikes without a windscreen or a vestigal one and didn't like them. The rally fairings work out well for someone my size/proportions. YMMV.
    Joe Motocross likes this.
  7. Blaise W

Blaise W Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well it's even worse when YOU are the one getting old! 'Think my oldest riding buddy is 10 years behind and then the rest start jumping in decades!! Ugh.....
    Ginger Beard and DCrider like this.
  8. bbanker

bbanker Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    And the adjustaforks were hosted on high around the campfire. And the meats were wrapped in bacon, and roasted to perfection. And the grizzled ADV-F’rs of days of yore were anointed with rivulets of Old Crow. And we drank. And we sang. And we slept on beds of sand. And all was right with the world.

We woke, and prepared the ritual Croffee. And the Roost Lord rejoiced. And then we Roosted.
  9. Sparrowhawk

Sparrowhawk Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    And the angel formally known as Warren Zevon looked down from above, having gotten an alert on Advrider that Joe Motocross had started a new thread and subscribed (because there is WiFi in heaven), and said "Enjoy every roost, every moment you're airborne, cup of Croffee, perfectly prepared Adjustafork meal, and time with your guys because you're not getting out of this alive."
    Hans Petter, TomJoad and bbanker like this.
  10. borderlinebob

borderlinebob Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    CANADA-100 ft N of International Falls, MN
    Now that—-was a little dark!
  11. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    Hallelujah!!! I feel my preachings are getting through to some of the inmates. You gotta enjoy this time here. You gotta roost to stay sane.
  12. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    We were traveling a route I thought I’d never been on before. Very scenic meadows abounded.
    d5b - 1.jpg

We traveled through a recent burn. I always find being in these burns surreal.
    d5b - 2.jpg

Something seemed familiar to me as we rode through the high terrain. I shrugged it off thinking this could be any number of places scattered around the state.
    d5b - 3.jpg

Then it hit me. We were on the Paiute Trail. This was the route of my first ever overnight motorcycle journey from around 1992. The terrain was spectacular!! I’d forgotten how awesome this particular plateau is.
    d5b - 4.jpg

The colors were really coming on in the quakies.
    d5b - 5.jpg

I would definitely be mixing this zone into future rides.
    d5b - 6.jpg

We came to a canyon that we descended to keep our trajectory toward the reservoir. I definitely had not been through here before and it was another winner.
    d5b - 7.jpg

We took a break in the shade at another reservoir that was on our route. Swag had a “fuel bag” with him and we dumped it into his tank. While this “fuel bag” method does work, I won’t say it’s ideal by any means. 3G of gas is a huge part of the mass on his subframe. I’ve heard there are better options for more fuel on the 701s. I’d love to hear what other inmates solutions are for this bike. I figure a 250 mile range is the minimum we want. 300 is comfortable.
    d5b - 8.jpg
    N-Id-Jim, chudzikb, MYUMPH and 11 others like this.
  13. NoelJ

NoelJ Long timer

Oddometer:
    The sweet solution is the Rade Garage tank, which will get you to 240 on fumes, 225 comfortably. Beyond that the IMS side tanks add enough to get you to 300, just look very "added-on" in comparison. The two combined would offer some serious range. There are other, breath-takingly expensive options when you go for a full rally kit from Specialthings or Aurora, etc.

Edit: Some people have reported more like 280+ miles from the OEM+Rade. I've never seen that mileage, but I'm merciless when I'm on the road and use it fast. That equates to 56 mpg and I just don't see it happening.
    Foiler and Ginger Beard like this.
  14. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    Thanks a bunch for that info. I think Swag might have one of those Rade tanks. I'll pass along all those options. Good stuff!!
  15. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    Looks like Safari has an option also. (Do not EVER let me catch you loading a bike like this. The poor helpless thing.....The sheepskin seat cover is tits though)
    Screen Shot 2020-10-13 at 8.04.44 AM.png
  16. NoelJ

NoelJ Long timer

Oddometer:
    I forgot about the Safari option. They may be ugly but they sure are expensive :rofl.

I think it may be the biggest option. I've never seen a first-hand account of someone installing it.
  17. DCrider

DCrider Live from THE Hill

Oddometer:
    fixed :lol3
  18. haystack

haystack Just ride

Oddometer:
    Mind if I sit for a spell and follow along?

C9505BE9-D5F4-4D02-8EBC-84EE0AD06DB0.jpeg
  19. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    Nice front tire you have on that rear wheel. :lol3
    EN_NSE, Kyron, forgorin and 10 others like this.
  20. McCarthy7

McCarthy7 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Trials front on a rear. I love it!