1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Screw it! I'm gonna ROOST and sleep in the dirt!

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Joe Motocross, Sep 27, 2020.

1. Garrett828

Garrett828 n00b

Oddometer:
    No offense at all to Swag, but that luggage looks like he pilfered a scout camp.
  2. Joe Motocross

Joe Motocross Adjustafork.com - CEO

Oddometer:
    Evidently, that Mosko Moto luggage is highly regarded by many riders. Seems like quality stuff. However, staunch fundamentalists just drill holes through their plastic and use Voile Straps to secure gear that is stuffed into whatever stuff sack is available at the time. This is the tightest method for securing gear which allows the most unencumbered roost. To achieve true fundamentalist status, you must disregard things such as the appearance of your desert sled and not worry about holes in your plastic. Given the choice, the fundamentalist always chooses greasing bearings over using a pressure washer. Function is pivotal. Cosmetics have no real importance. It is difficult for many riders to overcome their obsession of how their bike looks. Looks have no significance on how the bike performs. Performance is the most important factor for the true fundamentalist.
  3. Sparrowhawk

Sparrowhawk Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    View attachment 2597535
    Kindred spirit. When I sold my trusty 20 year old KTM LC4 640E last winter with the carb totally dialed, the suspension worked on by the best, mechanically maintained, a few mods to make it ride better like foot pegs and steering damper, and ridden with mechanical sensitivity, a potential buyer asked "Are the plastics and decals still available? The decals are a little faded and the plastic is dull." I can only imagine the look on my face.
    640 Wenatchee.jpg
    DSC00068.JPG
    Full disclosure: there's a chair in the orange bag. Here in the PNW we often ride to a central camp, off load everything, and day ride single tracks in the Gifford Pinchot or Wenatchee NF.
  4. BornAgain

BornAgain Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Performance over looks no giant shiny aluminum boxes to catch the glint of the sun's rays in the Majorbucks parking lot. Instead you offer us small bags containing the barest of necessities lashed to our steeds so they can transcend us to the wild places. With the stars as our ceiling and a front wheel to rest our travel weary bones. HECK YEAH Preach it Brother Joe!!!!
  5. DCrider

DCrider Live from THE Hill

Oddometer:
    Thus the nickname Swag

[​IMG]
    Yeti2ride, yakawars59, Foiler and 2 others like this.
  6. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    You get it man. All effort goes into making sure the bike does and continues to do what it needs to. There is no need for good looks. There is a need for tight wheel bearings, proper chain tension and lube, valves adjusted to spec, etc. Pressure washers force water into bearings. Grease guns force in grease.

Good on you for admitting to packing a chair. You know the drill though. "Chair" is only an anomaly for "packing too much crap". I like your method of dropping everything at a central base and doing day loops from there. I've often thought I should build a few caches scattered around the desert (with chairs in them) to use as base camps.
  7. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    This is the root of ADV-Fundamentalism.
    yakawars59, Foiler and ApexJeff like this.
  8. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    We were hauling ass down another section of pavement when my rear end started drifting back and forth. Flat. Crap. Oh well.
    d5c - 1.jpg

It gave me a chance for a real test of the Adjustafork 4.1 “Steakstand”. Worked like a champ keeping the rear end up in the air.
    d5c - 2.jpg

We always classify flats by severity and type. This one was a “Class 3, Rub spot”. Evidently, I had been running my tire pressure too low for the higher speed paved sections. There were worn areas where each set of knobbies were putting pressure on the tube. One section eventually rubbed through. This was my own fault. Gotta hate it when there’s nothing else to blame the flat on but yourself. I could’ve patched it but with all the other wafer thin wear spots, it seemed futile. I threw in my spare tube.
    d5c - 3.jpg

After a fuel and water stop, we were back on the dirt. Swag had received a text message from his buddy with the other 701 stating that two 18” wheels had been ordered from Warp 9. More converts. Now I just had to keep emphasizing why packing less stuff is imperative.
    d5c - 4.jpg

This was easy cruising with magnificent scenery!! We were dropping elevation big time. Temps were hot.
    d5c - 5.jpg

We stopped in some shade. It was freaking hot. I suggested we take a route down a really fun wash that I had ridden the previous spring. It was loose but I figured the boys would eat it up with their big front tires. This would be a good test for those bikes.
    d5c - 6.jpg

Off the main road, a two track lead down into the wash.
    d5c - 7.jpg

This is my natural environment. I absolutely love wash riding whether it’s firm or loose. This one was loose for sure. Living in the northwest, Swag doesn’t ride soft stuff like this very often. He wasn’t having any trouble but I don’t think he was as ecstatic as I was. An interesting note here. Swag dialed down his steering damper because of the 18" front wheel. He stated he might just take it off and put it back on his 300.
    d5c - 8.jpg
  9. NoelJ

NoelJ Long timer

Oddometer:
    Those rub spots remind me of a video I saw somewhere - the guy yakking was promoting the use of a lube on the tube to reduce wear and heat. I've never done it, it seems messy, but your picture made it pop right into my head. Maybe he was using mousse lube? I can't remember for sure. Silicone based grease would work.
    yakawars59 likes this.
  10. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    The simple solution is just to run a little more than 4lbs of pressure when riding at 70mph on pavement. Duh. I'm an idiot sometimes.
  11. BornAgain

BornAgain Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Look on the bright side you got to demonstrate the steak stand in action. I for one am very impressed. If it slices and dices even better.
  12. DCrider

Oddometer:
    aren't we all
  13. NoelJ

NoelJ Long timer

Oddometer:
    My ability to repeat mistakes might drive me to the grease! I kind of like changing tires, it provides its own satisfaction when you're good at it. But I like riding a lot more, and changing tires in the dirt is less fun than at home.
    Joe Motocross likes this.
  14. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    Wally also was getting the job done in the wash but he was working at it. It certainly was much easier for him compared to last spring when he had a “melt-down” not far from here.
    d5d - 1.jpg

The wash proved to be too much for Wally. He was beat at this point in the day and we were only half way down the wash. It was getting late in the day and we still had some distance to go. We opted to exit the wash on a graded road and take a different route. That route also was extremely sandy. Wally dropped the bike at one point and tried to lift it before Swag caught him. He gave himself a hernia, literally. He wouldn’t realize it had actually popped until after the trip.
    d5d - 2.jpg

We got onto firmer terrain and made some miles. We were running out of light but getting close to the reservoir. I wanted to get the boys out to a beach that I’d discovered the previous spring. That would involve a few more miles of deep sand.
    d5d - 3.jpg

Wally was done at this point. The firm route down the canyon yielded into sandy two-tracks. Wally rode a mile or so in the sand, stopped, and lost it. He was experiencing a little mini “come-a-part”. He’d had enough of me and my sand. We were close to a place that myself, Drey Dog and Wally had swam last spring so we decided to pull the plug and camp there. I was disappointed to not get the boys out to the premier beach but I knew we had to call it.
    d5d - 4.jpg

I didn’t get any photos of the “come-a-part”. I find it hard to document those moments. Usually when a melt-down is in progress, my natural move is to switch to “damage control”. I feel like snapping a photo of a person coming unglued does not help the situation in most cases. I was definitely in “damage control” mode and there’s no better reset than a swim. Wally came out of the water a new man, grabbed his bottle and started spewing nonsense. Totally back on track. Just in time, we were almost out of light.
    d5d - 5.jpg

We were camped on the lake bed. This spot is well under water during bigger water years but it hasn’t been up for quite some time now. There is basically no wood anywhere nearby. There are some small dried up tamarisk bushes. We collected a big pile of them and torched them.
    d5d - 6.jpg

Pretty impressive fire for about 30 seconds. Maybe a bit more but not much.
    d5d - 7.jpg

We had to work quickly to glean the heat from this little pile of coals. I noticed that we were all running prototype Adjustaforks. Swag had the first 2.0. Wally was running the 2.0 which is ready for production. I was running the 4.1 Steakstand. Standard stuff here; A healthy amount of whiskey and smack talk while the sausages were smoking over the coals. Swag had some sort of pepper he threw on. I had some sort of soup greul in my cup. The plan for the morning was to go out and investigate the terrain I had visited last spring. I was really looking forward to it. It was going to be a full ROOST SESSION!! WOOOOOOOOOOOO!!
    d5d - 8.jpg
  15. Osadabwa

Osadabwa Don't be Surprised

Oddometer:
    I like sand.

Carry on.
    yakawars59 and Joe Motocross like this.
  16. Sparrowhawk

Sparrowhawk Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sand is like clowns, it makes some people giggle and strikes fear in the hearts of others. It's the desert version of deep powder in the mountains. You hate it until you love it.
  17. svtride

svtride Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Riding in sand is a given in MI, sandbox central. Get used too it or do something else.
    "makes some people giggle and strikes fear in the hearts of others"
    I used to be in the latter group but practice, practice, practice.
    Jaws, Joe Motocross and benedikt.m like this.
  18. DCrider

Oddometer:
    Hard to practice sand here in the mid-Atlantic unless in the NJ pine barrens or on the coast. When I did some rambling around St. George, UT summer 2019 I used the hit the throttle, stand up, lean back and pucker, pucker, pucker up, hold on loose approach :lol3 I survived, barely a few times.
    yakawars59 likes this.
  19. Dantak

Dantak n00b

Oddometer:
    JM,

Big follower of ADV-F. You have spoken many times about the gear you carry on your bike. I don’t think I have heard you speak about what you carry in your pack and why in you pack and not on your bike?
  20. SlowerThanYou

SlowerThanYou ADV-F Supporter

Oddometer:
    Late but IN! This is the right way to moto.
    Joe Motocross likes this.