Scuba

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by ragtoplvr, Mar 19, 2012.

1. ragtoplvr

ragtoplvr Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have decided to cross another item off my bucket list and get scuba certified.

How many here scuba. Is it realistic to travel to the coast on the motorcycle and then rent gear, and go out on a dive boat.

How about spearfishing

Does a wetsuit have a second life as a rain-suit.

Rod
  2. Manuel Garcia O'Kely

Manuel Garcia O'Kely Back at last

Oddometer:
    Been a while, but, I suggest owning mask, snorkel, fins and regulator, rent remainder if you need it.

Wet suit as rain suit. Woof, that would be pretty awful I think. Not much use in crash either.
  3. MrBob

MrBob Mystical Supporter

Oddometer:
    There are quickie certification courses taught by PADI instructors to get you into the water but I don't know much about them beyond that. I got my initial Open Water training from ex Navy divers and it took weeks but we did most of our diving in Lake Superior so needed to be very well prepared.
    Your life could depend on the quality of your training, which is something to consider as you choose.
    I don't know why you couldn't find quality training in your area and rent gear in case you decide that diving isn't what you thought it would be or your ears won't equalize or some other unforeseen glitch.
    When not used in diving, wearing a wetsuit will help you feel like a giant condom.
    If it's something you want to try, go for it, but insist on good training.
  4. dirtydeeds

dirtydeeds I'm alive.

Oddometer:
    Travelling by bike to coast to go diving is a great way to do it. I've done it a couple times, out to Vancouver.

Don't know about fishing, but sure, why not.

Well worth it. Cross it off your list.
  5. HillbillyNinja

HillbillyNinja Long timer

Oddometer:
    I just took the scuba course in Joplin at Calypso. I'm currently down south and renting equipment to dive is easy. Go talk to Joel. He's great. I really am enjoying the scuba so far and I haven't done anything more than sit at the bottom of a pool. I can't wait to do the open water dives to get my cert when it warms up.

TL:DR. Get certed, we can go dive and hit on someone's girlfriend.
  6. t6pilot

t6pilot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Find a dive school near were you live, do the classroom and pool sessions then find some warm water for the open water dives.
    Traveling in a wet suit, would be very very uncomfortable
    Dive gear is bulky to travel with, mask, fins,regulator, backpack and wetsuit can easily weight 40 plus pounds
    Rent when you get their if traveling by bike
    Above all enjoy
    PS. Been diving 40 years still love it
  7. Ruffus

Ruffus Dirty Old Mudder

Oddometer:
    Spear fishing is illegal in many area's. Do some prior research on your destination.
    Traveling by bike I'd bring a mask, booties & fins. Gear is bulky & heavy.
    Stick with established rental or charter business's, fly by night operations are always risky no matter how good the price might be. Your life depends on quality equipment & quality air in the tank.
  8. DeepSea

DeepSea electronically challenged

Oddometer:
    Yup, Mask, snorkel, booties and fins. Mask being the most important to own. Some people have odd shaped faces that make that seal challenging. A flooding mask takes away the fun, especially if your new to diving.

As far as a wet suit for rain gear. Don't do it. You'll be miserable. Just my 2 cents.
  9. WaterWheel

WaterWheel Multi Talentless

Oddometer:
    :deal

Shit. Those things are miserable for the 15 minutes you spend gearing up before you jump in the water. Especially up here in the North where you have to wear at least a 6mm if you go below the thermocline.

I couldn't imagine wearing one for any length of time, much less in the sun on a motorcycle. I won't even mention the fact that a wet suit doesn't actually keep you dry. Hence its name, 'wet-suit'.

Good luck - it's a lot of fun. Once you dive a few times and check out structure and bottom layout, you'll never look at a lake the same again.
    MiamiMotorcyclist likes this.
  10. ragtoplvr

ragtoplvr Long timer

Oddometer:
    Classroom finished.

Pool next

You have a PM

Rod
  11. urbanXJ

urbanXJ Long timer

Oddometer:
    padi certified for open water and enriched air

I think the speargun fishing rules depend on if you are still in state waters and what state you are in. At least for game species. For non-game species I think you can do what you want.
  12. ragtoplvr

ragtoplvr Long timer

Oddometer:
    I will be in Diving Arkansas, legal there.

I could do grand lake on Oklahoma, except for that seeing thing:rofl

Rod
  13. BeeJay

BeeJay Illegal Clicker

Oddometer:
    Did you get your cert. yet? Although it's late in the year, I just broke out my diving gear. We have a local quarry for divers only that has fun dives for $10, so I hope to get a few local dives in this summer.

Has anyone heard anything about the PADI SASY(Surface only scuba in a six feet deep pool) courses for 5 year olds? My son is only three now, but has been hounding me since the winter to learn to dive. For now he'll have to learn to snorkel for a couple of years.
  14. Roadrunner

Roadrunner (Negativus Supersonicus)

Oddometer:
    PADI Open Water certified since 1986. I learned in Maine and Massachusetts, but now enjoy Florida and the Caribbean.

As it appears you are learning, it is a lot more dangerous sport than people think, and one where ignorance can easily kill you.

A wet suit means you are wet - and it won't keep you warm on a motorcycle. It isn't made for that, it is made to keep you warm by holding a layer of water between you and the suit - which is something you won't be doing on a motorcycle.

You'll do nothing but wear out your wetsuit for no good reason. We sometimes wear kneepads to keep from wearing out the knees on our wetsuits, since we will sometimes be kneeling on the bottom while lobster hunting or using an underwater metal detector. But then that also means wearing more weight since the kneepads will increase buoyancy.

What thickness wetsuit do you plan to get?
  15. cbolling

cbolling Here...Hold my Beer.

Oddometer:
    I am a PADI Instructor. Taught in Grand Cayman years ago. Lots of fun.
  16. Roadrunner

Oddometer:
    Cayman Brac - Bloody Bay Wall, my all-time favorite dive place! :clap

I still need to go to Grand Cayman, however. :D
  17. Mike.Gail

Mike.Gail Intentionally Blank

Oddometer:
    PADI open water certified in April, taking my advanced course now as well as acting as a nominal assistant to my instructor who had both of her hips replaced. She's been instructing for 24 years or some such, and knows her stuff. As others have said, and I'm assuming by the age of the thread it's a moot point, take the long class. Too many stories out there about very very dead divers on the bottom with no mask and 2k# air in the tank. Also, take half your weight out. You don't need that much. "But I don't sink fast!!" You don't want to. Neutral is the key here.

I bought all my gear except a tank, tanks tend to be a pain in the ass to own. As for riding to the coast it depends on how far and what kind of bike. If you're on a custom bobber then it's not a good idea. If you're on a KTM 990 Adventure with Gobis and a top box then yeah, sure.

Haven't done spearfishing, not really into fishing.

And wetsuits are a pain in the dick to be avoided unless you're getting in cold water. Again, cold varies according to how you're built, where you're diving, and how long you're planning on being in. 80* water for an hour, you prolly don't need one. 50* for very long at all and you're going to be hypothermic in short order. They are otherwise useless.

And if it hasn't been said or become obvious, or isn't at least obvious from the rest of this site, crap gear is not your friend. Get good gear, the lack of hassles is more than worth it. And 60 feet down 200 yards from the boat is NOT when you want to figure out that your gauge is wrong. Yeah, it's spendy, but if you're like me this will become a new needle in your vein and you're going to be doing it a long long time. Don't buy crap expecting to replace it. Buy good gear expecting to keep it.
  18. Gillies

Gillies Long timer

Oddometer:
    NASDS certified 15 years ago. Currently NAUI master level. Diving does the same thing for me as 100 MPH gravel roads on the GSA or grooving single track on the 449 - all other thought leaves the mind and I become one with the moment. It's all mental for me, and 50' under the sea puts me there. Get good training, buy basic gear, and ride to a coast for some underwater adventure. You won't regret it.
    dickosaurus likes this.
  19. Roadrunner

Oddometer:
    I especially agree with your last paragraph. However, I don't find light wetsuits to be a "pain," just the 1/4 inch ones for cold water. The light ones are pretty comfortable.

We still have our BCD's from over 20 years ago - bought really good equipment. We also take really good care of our equipment, rinsing immediately and very well with fresh water after all dives. We have had to replace only one regulator, and most commercial diving outfits now require dive computers. We used to only use our analogue gauges and manual tables, but that is OK. It is good to understand the tables, too - even with the computers doing all the calculating.

[​IMG]
  20. Queen

Queen Happy Camper

Oddometer:
    Been certified since '79, did SAR diving in the 80's with lots of freezing night dives under ice. Now I stick to warm tropical water.

Second the "buy good gear" advice, that doesn't mean the most expensive, just good solid gear that will not let you down.