SD to SF- Best route

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by Gregg Wannabe, Sep 17, 2005.

1. Gregg Wannabe

Gregg Wannabe Just killing time

Oddometer:
    I'm planning a quick trip up the coast from San Diego to the Bay Area and back. What is the best street route? I don't want to miss the Big Sur part of 101 but I also know there are some kick ass roads in the coastal range of central CA, I just don't know what/where they are. I could take 1-2 days to get there.

Favorite routes please.

Thanks in advance.
  2. fahrtleiter

fahrtleiter Volunteer Staph

Oddometer:
    Big Sur is on Highway 1, not 101. You should not miss the Indian Valley/Peach Tree/25 route between Paso Robles and Hollister, but you might also enjoy cutting through the military base on Nacimiento/Ferguson road,which will deposit you on Highway 1 south of Big Sur.

In any case, sounds like you need to get some Central CA maps - don't leave home without them.
  3. richard cabesa

richard cabesa The Mayor Supporter

Oddometer:
    I would buzz up I5 to Fraizer Park just to get that out of the way. Then head towards Mt Pinos and on to Cerro Noroeste Rd to Hwy 166/33 and north to Hwy 58 and go west From Paso Robles there are a cople of ways to the coast. Hwy 41 & 46 but as fartlighter said, G14 to Nac/Ferguson Rd is a good route. Watch the loose gravel after the summit.

If you want to skip the coast, Indian Valley/Peachtree/Hwy 25 are a lot of fun

Look them all up on Pashnit.com

Have fun
  4. Gregg Wannabe

Gregg Wannabe Just killing time

Oddometer:
    Thanks guys.
  5. CGA

CGA Rider

Oddometer:
    What he said! If you take Hwy 25 check out Pinos National Monument and Hollister Hills OHV area. If your over on the coast just north of Morro Bay take Old Creek Rd. to Santa Rosa Creek Rd. which will come out near San Simion. This is a road that alot of MC mags use for the cover shots. In Arroyo Grande, there is the 227 that will take you to SLO town, turn left at Tank Farm Rd. and go over to Los Osos Valley Rd to get to Morro Bay. There are so many alternatives that I'm exhausted just thinking about them. Call me if you want to go over some maps.

Hey Cabesa, I'll be up in SB for the Carp avo fest and I'm planning on riding around my old stomping grounds. How's Gibralter Rd / Camino Ceilo holding up?
    I'll PM you whith some contact info.

CGA
  6. pierce

pierce Ex Tourer

Oddometer:
    If you're a AAA member, get their map that shows the california coast from SD to SF in detail. I think its called "Coast and Valley", its great, shows nearly every navigable road in the whole area, and the scale is such that you can usually fold it so enough is visible in your tank bag window for a good chunk of a gas tank.
  7. saintbubba

saintbubba Your Average C Student

Oddometer:
    San Diego , California...Rancho Penesquitos Sector
    Do you mean the best route to pop wheelies Gregg ?

Dude you were killing me on Sunday...I'm trying to just stay on the bike
    and you out there playing Crusty Demons Of Dirt.....
    I swear I was waiting for you to do an Indian Larry stand on the seat
    stunt..just to make me
    go crying home like a hurt little school girl...hehehehehehe

Your trip sounds fun...stay safe bro.....

.I know that means alot coming from
    Chief Wounded Knee...
  8. dyvking

dyvking ahead of his flamin star

Oddometer:
    Nac-Ferg road through the base will require valid license/proof of insurance/registration docs at the gate. Have them ready if you go that route.
  9. pierce

pierce Ex Tourer

Oddometer:
    i love naciemento fergueson (even if I can't spell it :rofl)

[​IMG]

:deal
  10. Rad

Rad Done riding

Oddometer:
    yup :thumb
  11. PozoRider

PozoRider Just Ride

Oddometer:
    If you decide to go through Mt. Pinos I'd recommend taking Soda Lake Road from Hwy. 166 to Hwy 58, to get off the pavement. Here is a link: http://www.pashnit.com/roads/cal/SodaLakeRd.htm

Once your on 58 you could get more dirt in by taking La Panza Rd. through the N.F. to Pozo. If your lucky and it Sat. or Sun. stop at the Pozo Saloon and get a Double Ortega Burger. From there you can hang a left on High Mountain Rd. and ride more dirt over to Arroyo Grande, and on to San Luis Obispo.

Rich
  12. Reno

Reno Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I can only recommend http://pashnit.com . As far as California roads go this site has it all...