1. eNewsletter Sign Up

SE Asia Equipment?

Discussion in 'Asia' started by jeff_connors, Aug 9, 2015.

1. jeff_connors

jeff_connors Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My wife and I are headed to Thailand to live for several years. Has anyone ridden there or any SE Asia countries? If so, what did you need there that you did not anticipate? I'm trying to take as much maintenance, safety, clothing needs as possible. Thanks.

Jeff
    '06 Vstrom 650
  2. TBR

TBR One Life ~ Live It...

Oddometer:
    Well ~ firstly bring $$$$'s as most things are more expensive not made or manufactured locally due to import duty and VAT.
    Furthermore, wearing larger or unusual sizes (helmet / gloves / boots / shoes / gear / etc.) bring all as might not be readily available or expensive....
  3. Farang Paul

Farang Paul A Late Convert

Oddometer:
    I second the above - bring money! A GS will set you back 1 M Thai Baht and don't even contemplate the thought that you can bring your own!- A GSA 1.2 M. Both come full spec. But you will pay more for boxes etc. than you are used to.
    Good news is that with more bikes being assembled here (Triumph, BMW, Ducati and others) prices are coming down. I just bought a F800R for my g/f to tour with me for 430,000 THB.

Second hand big bikes are available (Baht & Sold has the best selection on the web). But don't even enter into a conversation if the bike has no green book (reg. doc.) You can't tax or insure without one - whatever they tell you.

The best of the local helmets (Bilmola, Real) are made to EU standards and are available in all sizes. If you want anything imported bring your own or pay top dollar.

Find and bring riding gear that is highly ventilated there is little choice here in large sizes. Some shops have large sizes in Scoyco local brand which are not bad and well priced. Then bring top quality rain gear - there is a reason this country is so green.

Bring your own boots unless you have girl sized feet - large sizes are limited and that gives you little choice.

Panda Rider in Bangkok have a good selection of gear (you can google their website) and send the next day (delivery in 3-4 days)
    Shops in Phuket, Bangkok and Chiang Mai have available product and can order. If you are out in the sticks then things are tougher. - I have to do a round trip of 200km to get my bike serviced

I ride every day and have clocked up 40,000km on my GS in 2 years- Thailand has a fabulous variety of places to ride to and it will take years just to cover Thailand, then Malaysia is just next door. Add in Laos, Cambodia, and Myanmar - all of which are getting easier to travel in, you wont get bored!

Riding can be difficult in the big Towns/Cities and the accident rate is very high everywhere. Fix extra lighting to make sure they know you are a big bike and always ride as if you know they are trying to kill you!

If you are in Bangkok then just watch the traffic, take a few rides on motorcycle taxis - then decide whether you want a bike!

There are many formal and informal riding groups everywhere - but don't join one full of Thai riders unless you are prepared to ride like a complete idiot.

If you need more information then pm me letting me know where you are going to base yourself in Thailand.

Good Luck - you will enjoy a whole new riding life here!

Paul
  4. TBR

TBR One Life ~ Live It...

Oddometer:
    More "Land of Smiles" (Thailand) info over here = http://www.rideasia.net

Sounds like the norm in a few Asian countries as I gave up on riding with the natives over here in China a very-very long time ago....
  5. Bajatacoma

Bajatacoma Why me?

Oddometer:
    Also note that some of them like the Philippines require your helmet to have one of their own approval stickers. I wore my Arais around Malaysia, Thailand, Laos and China and never had an issue and I still wear one of them sometimes in the Philippines but I also have a LS2 helmet for everyday use.

As noted, larger sized gear is hard to find, especially quality gear.

Pretty much everything else you need you should be able to find unless it's some specialized BMW/KTM/Harley/etc tool; hell it's probably made around there or China anyways.
  6. Pomodoro

Pomodoro Adventurer

Oddometer:
    All of the above and get yourself a Thai drivers license as soon as possible. Assuming you have DL from your country, the process of getting a Thai version is pretty painless. Good quality vented and light-colored jackets and pants are often hard to get in XL-and-up sizes, so bring that. If you're traveling around a bit at first, Singapore has some quality shops.
  7. yokesman

yokesman Long timer

Oddometer:
    mesh jacket n pants,could not find the pants to fit in south malaysia.