SE Idaho: Bone, Gray's Lake, Palisades, and Ririe.

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by His Pistolship, Jun 10, 2012.

1. His Pistolship

His Pistolship Kp calm, shoot alfas

Oddometer:
    HI All,

I thought I would post some pics of the stompin grounds in South East Idaho. This is just a little chunk of the 40,000 miles of dirt road in Idaho. I started in Idaho Falls, then went SE through Bone to Grays Lake. From there I went east to Freedom WY, north to Alpine, WY then back west through Palisades to Idaho Falls. Bike is a Yamaha Super Tenere 1200, which i just rode home from Washinton, D.C.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Motorcycle/rock chuck hunting. I just broke down the AR and stuffed it in the rear bag, then reassembled and shot 7 rock chucks, and another 4 with the Glock. Motorcycle hunting is awesome.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Grays Lake, ID. It is more like a marsh.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mt. Caribou near Grays Lake.

[​IMG]

Seagulls eating vermin after disking.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Idaho Highway 34 near Grays Lake, ID.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Freedom, WY.

[​IMG]

McCoy Creek Rd, Palisades, ID.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

At the top of Jensen Creek Rd., Palisades, ID. This road was actually closed, but there was enough room to sneak around the edge of the fence.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I met this guy at the top of the Jensen Creek Rd. He asked me if the road closed barricade was passable on the east end. I said it was, and he told me the west end was a little tight but doable. Nice fellow from Jackson, WY. He raved about the roads in Mackey, ID.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It looks tighter in real life. Sort of a chore to get around with the Tenere.

[​IMG]

Palisades Reservior, ID.

[​IMG]

Snake River in Irwin, ID.

[​IMG]

Tex Creek, ID. Soft grippy dirt made for some 70 mph riding. Lots of fun. No gravel, just dirt.

[​IMG]

Ririe, ID in the Big Hole Mtns, west of the Tetons. I went everywhere the little 200's went, and faster. I wish I would have taken some pics of the gnarly stuff the big Tenere was conquering. Crooked steep 4 wheeler trails with snow and mud and rain ruts; the Tenere gobbled it up, and I was leaving the little 200's in the dust. I'm still amazed at what the Tenere can handle. The other guys (dad and friends) were astonished.

[​IMG]

Taking a break.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. waylongway

waylongway madmax Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nice pics!! Got it all in the map book now,Thanks for posting :clap
  3. Questor

Questor More Undestructable

Oddometer:
    Super Tenere...:tb

Long Valley... :D

Motorcycle hunting for rock chucks. :huh
    What a great idea! :gun1
    Why didn't I think of that?

What power scope is that? :wink:

Thanks for the Ride.
    I'll keep an eye out for a Black S10 in the area.
    Thanks for posting "neighbor".
    Q~
  4. His Pistolship

Oddometer:
    Thanks all.

Questor, that is just a 3x9x40 cheapo bushnell. Later this summer I'm putting on a Burris LRS 1x4. I assembled that AR from parts and it has been my best one yet. No malfunctions yet (4000 rounds) and I just cleaned it for the first time. I put a bunch of goodies on it like a Rock River Match trigger and a Yankee hill compensator and rail.

Questor, we should do some rides. I want to go from IF to Hells Canyon on dirt if possible. That is my goal for the summer.

The Tenere is awesome. It will do everything. I've taken it from DC to Key West, then from DC to here, as well as daily commuting. It does everything.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  5. Questor

Questor More Undestructable

Oddometer:
    Hello Pistol.

I'm going to the Hells Canyon event this coming weekend.

I'll take an 8 hour dirt route through Copper Basin and into Ketchum, and then into Boise by following the South Fork of the Boise River to the reservoir Thursday to stay with a friend Thursday night.

The event is Friday, Saturday.

For the return to Idaho Falls, I've got a good route all plotted and in the GPS, and I'll be riding back that way Sunday and Monday, though Cascade, and into Stanley via the National Forest.

I'll let you know how the route works out and save tracks.
    From what I understand, it's going to be a great ride.

For my birthday I bought myself a Ruger SR-556A featuring the new two stage piston driven system. 3K + rounds and still going strong. :wink:

I think we have a lot in common. :lol3

Q~
  6. DCrider

DCrider Live from THE Hill

Oddometer:
    Well I was about to ask you how you wore those new knobbies down and then saw the KW pic. Glad to see you finally got dirt, that Tenere is dirtier than your KLR ever was, looks like great roads in ID.:D
  7. His Pistolship

Oddometer:
    Thanks Eric.
  8. His Pistolship

Oddometer:
    Sounds good. I have to work this weekend or I do the Hells Canyon thing for sure.

I did 200 miles today down to Blackfoot Reserviour and back. I found a sweet trail that is East/North-East of Bancroft. It is called Indian Creek Rd, but it is more like a trail. It was 20 miles long. The trail was about as wide as a car the whole way and non-ruted. It rides along to top of a mountain for a while that lets you look into Bancroft, Soda Springs, and Blackfoot Reserviour at the same time. I was super stoked to have found it. I was just meandering around without a map and stumbled onto it. I'll be going back soon, it was a super fun trail. A little bit rocky at parts however.

Also, Wolverine Canyon/Sellers Creek road is a fun one. I took that form Idaho Falls to hook me onto Blackfoot Reserviour road. I saw another fellow on a KTM going to the opposite way but didn't think to stop and say hi.

I don't have GPS but if you want me to point that trail out on Google maps or something let me know.

We should meet up.
  9. Bappo

Bappo Long timer

Oddometer:
    See if these look familiar :D
    [​IMG]

Something about Idaho Falls, an S10 and varmints.

[​IMG]
    And a little McCoy Creek action. I only saw ONE rock chuck but many ground squirrels.
    Shady Pass David likes this.
  10. His Pistolship

Oddometer:
    Nice Bappo. I like your blue Tenere. I see that you have the Parabellum windsheild as well.

Is that a .204 Ruger I see there? Also, what sort of seat is that?

I've found some awesome double track just north of Bancroft/west of Blackfoot Res. it is called Indian Creek Trail, and there is a whole network of trails that branch off of it. A bunch of ground squirels down there too.

My best luck with chucks has been in Shoshone, ID, and Fairfield, ID. I'll be heading to those places this next week, although for work, not riding.

Nice to see another S10 owner in the area.
  11. Bappo

Bappo Long timer

Oddometer:
    Do you shoot the USPSA/IDPA matches at the SEIPS range? If so we probably shoot together and don't know it. I also shoot F-Class at Unified (1000 yd) outside Rexburg.

The seat is a Russell Day-long I had made through a drive in last fall in Shasta, CA.

The T/C is a .223 although my primary and favorite varmint gun is a Cooper in 204 Ruger. Good ground squirrels on Kepps Crossing road.
  12. squonker

squonker Stupid is the new norm

Oddometer:
    Wow, what a beautiful area. I'd like it there!
  13. His Pistolship

Oddometer:

I do shoot at SEIPS. I was the Match Director two years ago. My name is Chase. I shot last months match, Production. I've been meaning to get into the 1000 yard stuff. I've built me a gun for it, but have not competed yet.
  14. Bob

Bob Formerly H20Pumper

Oddometer:
    Nice report, nice hardware!
  15. His Pistolship

Oddometer:
    Thanks.