SE PA Geocacher

Discussion in 'GPS Tracks - Northeast, Southeast & Florida' started by not2fast, Dec 12, 2005.

1. not2fast

not2fast Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I do some geocaching with my 12 yr old son. We have been caching for about a year. Great sport. I have a Magellan explorist 200 and it works very good for this activity. Any others out there close to Lancaster PA??

Terry
  2. Wassallj

Wassallj Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I live near Oregon Dairy and was going to take my 11 year old son out to find some geocaches in the area. We were at the Dairy and my son told me their was a cache there. I asked him if he wanted to search for any others and he said yes. I have a Garmin 76C which should work fine. If you have any tips or suggestions please let me know.
  3. not2fast

Oddometer:
    Have you checked out www.geocaching.com?? Great site. I have done the cache at Oregon Dairy too. My son and I have done over 60 caches, including some in West Virginia during our summer vacation.

I'll send you a PM when we are going out again. Snow and hunting season adds a bit more challenge to finiding caches so we haven't done too many recently.

Nice bike pic too...do you also have a 650GS ?? I've seen one in that area on my way to work. I have a grey '02 DL1000 V-Strom and live near Lititz.

Terry
  4. Wassallj

Wassallj Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have been working in Lititz and pass someone on a V-Strom pretty regularly on Becker Rd or Oregon Pike, is that you? I think it is a dark bike and a red jacket on the rider. I have a blue/white R1150GS and a /5.
  5. TomN

TomN Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey Terry how is it going, have not bugged you in a while, you guys get much snow?

Tom
  6. not2fast

Oddometer:
    Yes, I'm the one you have been passing. I have a red Joe Rocket jacket and ride a dark gray Strom. Of course, with the snow and bone chilling cold, the Strom has been in the garage since Thanksgiving weekend.

I also have a DR650 for when the trails get too rough for the DL. I think I've passed you on the GS a few times too.

Did you get the GS at Trans-AM??

Terry
  7. not2fast

Oddometer:
    Hey Tom,
    Good to hear from you...how's the arm??

Both the DR and DL have been in hibernation since the cold and snow arrived. There's about 8" in the Northland of Lanc County. And with temps in the teens there wont be any riding by me for a while. So its back to working on the 64 Vespa or getting my 1970 Yamaha Enduro 90 out for a spin in the snow.

I'm hoping the weather gets better over Christmas since I'll be off work the whole week leading up to New Years. I'll post a notice if it looks like a ride is possible.

Terry
  8. Wassallj

Wassallj Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I do not ride the bike to work very often, usually on Fridays. Last time I rode was about Thanksgiving. I go up Oregon Pike and then get on Becker then cross over to Warwick and then take 772 into Lititz. I used to pass you about every day, small world. My GS is a blue/white 02 and usually wear a dark jacket and a blue/white/black helmet. I bought the GS new in 2001 at Trans-Am. I have had a number of BMW's but this is my first GS and I love it. How far do you commute?
  9. TomN

TomN Long timer

Oddometer:
    Cool, can't wait to see the Vestpa when it is done, send me a msg when it gets into the 50s again :rofl
  10. TheMOABjustBLUXU

TheMOABjustBLUXU Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey Terry, guys,
    My youngest is into learning and using the GPS we never did any Geocaching but it sounds like fun... we ought to all get together some morning and grab breakfast and go out for a couple hours or what ever it takes Three guys here with Dual-sport adventure bikes in Lititz with 11,12 year olds? sounds like we ought to meet!

JKE
  11. not2fast

Oddometer:
    Hey John, nice to see you check in on this thread.

Wassallj- I live north of Lititz and commute to the Bule Business Park at the junction of RT 30 & 23. Its about 15 miles one way. I'm addicted to the back roads to get to work...more turns = more fun!!

TomN- I hear ya about the temps :vardy . I've been looking at some cold weather gear but methinks staying indoors and keeping warm is the best short-term plan right now.

Yes- we will have to get a chapter of the Lititz area adventure geocacheres started as John suggests!!.

Terry
  12. Wassallj

Wassallj Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sounds good to me too!
  13. TheMOABjustBLUXU

Oddometer:
    be done by 11 am or so!

Terry you know anything about these little weed whacker powered scooters?

What do you guys ride?
  14. Wassallj

Wassallj Adventurer

Oddometer:
    When do you guys want to get together?
  15. not2fast

Oddometer:
    John: I have not seen or read much about the weedwhacker powered scooters. They seem like they might work good for about a week and then blow up from the (ab)use they would get.:lol3

As far as geocaching goes, these last few days before Christmas are just a bit busy, but I'll be off work from Dec 23 to Jan 3 and the kids will be home from school, so that seems like a good time to plan to get together. Might even be able to get a motorcycle out of the garage by then!!

Also I have have heard a rumor that Santa was bringing another handheld GPS to my house. I must have been a good boy this year...na must be something else!!

Terry
  16. TheMOABjustBLUXU

Oddometer:
    between christmas and new years!!! that is BTW what do you guys ride????
  17. TheMOABjustBLUXU

Oddometer:
    Terry, we have one of them things we got it at costco and run the soup out of it!!! it's still goes real well it's just that the boys started turning screws on the carb and well... you know what that turns into...

the other thing is it need s the steering bearings tightened... back to the gps thing we have a garmin etrex summit with altimeter, and i have a brand new 276 color that i haven 't ever used not real knowlegable on either. so I look forward to seeing you guys use yours hopefully we can catch on quick!

keep me informed
  18. Wassallj

Wassallj Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I took my son up to Oregon Dairy just before dusk and we found the cache there. He was psyched, he wanted to go find some more even though it was almost dark. Let me know when you guys want to get together and have a Merry Christmas!