Sea to Sky Adventure Ride - Halifax to Lake Placid

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by gasgas17, Aug 30, 2019.

1. gasgas17

gasgas17 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I will be waking up in 11 hours to head out on a 9 day adventure with 3 friends all from the Halifax Nova Scotia Area. Halifax to Lake placid and return in 9 days, taking in as much scenery as possible along the way. A good break from pounding rocks and roots on the dirt bike. This is the first overnight group ride for a couple of us. I have done Mt. Washington and back in 5 days a few years ago and that was an awesome trip. We do not plan to do any camping along the way, so that will greatly reduce the amount of stuff we need to bring. Although by looking at the bike you wouldn't know it. Stay tuned for some introductions and new updates as we navigate this grand scheme of mine. I can't believe I found this many willing participants to come along for the ride! There was going to be a 5th rider but they succumbed to an old back injury and still can't tie their shoes. Let's all wish him well and hope he makes a speedy recovery. We will miss him on the trip as he has a lot of knowledge of most of the area's that would have been an asset. That and he is an all round great guy with a chill disposition.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Sal Pairadice, AngusMcL and Amphib like this.
  2. Amphib

Amphib A mind is like a parachute....

Oddometer:
    Looking forward to your report!
  3. MT 007

MT 007 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Have a great ride guys be sure to get back for the Drive to Ride :-) - looking forward to the reports!
  4. Buzzard55

Buzzard55 n00b

Oddometer:
    Enjoy , will be watching the thread
  5. gasgas17

gasgas17 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Let’s get this trip started! We all decided to meet down town on the water front in Dartmouth for a quick photo op before we got started. Us Dartmouthians always say the best thing about Halifax is the view from Dartmouth!

[​IMG]

Then we found a bystander to take a picture of us cool dudes with the stead’s. From left to right, Scott (myself), Mel, Devon and Steve.

[​IMG]

Then that was it, at shortly after 7:30 am we were off on a 9 day adventure from the sea to the sky some place higher than any land mass in Nova Scotia. What would the coming days bring? What would we experience and see or witness? What would the weather be like? What would the dynamic of these guys turn into over the duration of the trip?
  6. gasgas17

gasgas17 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    DAY 1

Day 1 got off to a bit of a boring start as we did mostly highway work to get out of dodge so to speak. We did however ride trough the Wentworth Valley. Home of our dirt bike stomping grounds. It’ a little snippet of what’s to come.

[​IMG]

We also stopped at Motoplex in Moncton so Steve could pick up a spare front sprocket. They are the only Ducati Dealer in Atlantic Canada.
    After drooling over their large inventory of bikes and goodies, we were back on the road for adventure. We headed for the Fundy national park loop to avoid the main highways and the high winds that came with them.

[​IMG]

After exiting the Fundy loop at Sussex NB, we headed south on the main highway to Saint George and out to the ferry to Deer Island NB to do some Island hopping.

[​IMG]

We were not sure if we would be able to get on the boat when we pulled up behind this crane on a flat bead, but they filled the deck to capacity and we were off.

[​IMG]
  7. gasgas17

gasgas17 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The Tides

Crossing waters in the Bay of Fundy is always interesting as it has the highest tides in the world and the currents are pretty impressive. Lots of whirlpools in the water. Not a place for swimming that’s for sure. But the coast line is very picturesque!

[​IMG]
    mrmushman and B10Dave like this.
  8. gasgas17

gasgas17 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    mrmushman and AngusMcL like this.
  9. gasgas17

gasgas17 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
  10. gasgas17

gasgas17 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The tide trying as it may, to steal this navigational buoy.

[​IMG]
    MT 007 likes this.
  11. gasgas17

gasgas17 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
  12. gasgas17

gasgas17 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The weight of the crane was pushing the ferry deep in the water. As evident at the ramp. [​IMG]

The boat raised up out of the water about a foot and a half when it rolled off.
  13. gasgas17

gasgas17 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The ride across Deer Island is a hoot. The road is pretty twisty and in pretty good condition but with a rough surface. It only takes about 10 minutes to cross the Island on motorcycle. Your times may vary depending on talent level.... Then your at the ferry to Campobello Island.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sailing past Eastport Maine

[​IMG]

When we landed on Campobello Island, the ferry crewman comes over to Steve and tells him to stay off the green parts going up the ramp. Good advise in theory, but Steve is a bit color blind and the ramp is just a concrete drive way wide enough for a vehicle to drive up the rocky beach. So Steve pulls off the boat with a new found lack of confidence. But he makes it up the ramp without incident. Few! Then it was just a short hop to the motel and the local diner/tavern was right next door for supper.

[​IMG]

They had some live music that night and a portion of drinks were going to a local charity for a new basket ball court in the memory of a student that had passed, so we all had some beers or pops or hard lemonade as tastes required along with a tasty panini for supper. Then that was a wrap on day 1.

[​IMG]
    mrmushman, B10Dave, Davidprej and 2 others like this.
  14. gasgas17

gasgas17 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Day 2 Sunday the 1st of September, Campobello NB to Freeport Maine

Another semi early start to the days riding along the coast. I had originally planned to just ride the number 1 south to Bar Harbour, but we got greedy and rode every meter of rideable coastline that was not a dead end. But first we had to clear customs at the Lubec boarder crossing. It all went smooth as silk and we were in America! We rode the coast until well after lunch time and stopped on the way in to Bar harbour to get some grub.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  15. Fast914

Fast914 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Great report as always Scott....enjoyed the last one and looking forward to this one....I am coming with you guys next year!
  16. gasgas17

gasgas17 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have a new bucket list ride Grant. Calgary to Vancouver via the Canadian Rocky Mountains of course, down the pacific coast highway to LA and across the desert via Arizona, New Mexico to Colorado. It's gonna require a bike upgrade and some air fare.......
  17. gasgas17

gasgas17 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sorry folks but I am having a bit of a time catching up with regular life back home here in Nova Scotia. We just had a direct hit from our friendly hurricane Dorion, also A factor later in the ride. Between clean up, no power to over half the province for several days and getting our clients fixed up along with our regularly scheduled renovation work it's a bit insane here at the moment. let's get back to this ride shall we.
    Day 2 continued. I think we had lunch around 2:30 and proceeded to ride the Bar Harbour loop. As you can tell by the time of day and our desired destination, our greed of coastal riding was catching up with us in a hurry. You would think we all came from a land of straight roads or something, but Nova Scotia couldn't be any further from it! I guess we know good riding when we see it and well just maybe there is a little "twisty road whore" in some of us.... I had originally planned to just ride down the #1 from Lubec. But a quick study of a map made "Steve the twisty road whore" all excited and here we are eating lupper (lunch and supper, eaten mid-afternoon) with half the days riding to come.

Us on the side of the road wondering how in the firetruck we are getting our asses to Freeport tonight to eat and sleep before the sun comes up.

[​IMG]

The Bar Harbour loop. My last trip down this way I drove right by this gem. Shame on me.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This pull over........

[​IMG]

....has a bit of a low shoulder! Careful dismount is in order.

[​IMG]

But we were risking life and limb to get the shots we needed for this thread. All in a day's work of a bunch of "twisty road whores"

[​IMG]

See..

[​IMG]

Or is it sea....

[​IMG]

Dapper Devon on the R1200 GSA

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I definitely want to come back here and spend some time. Beautiful place that's for sure.

Someone caught my eye when I snapped this shot......

[​IMG]

..... out there in the middle of this river, most likely waiting for his or her (or however they may identify their feathered self these days.... bird kind I suppose. The Canadian's following along will see the humor)

[​IMG]

Not a bad shot for a point and shoot at full zoom, resting on a wooden stake.

That's a wrap on the Bar Harbor loop, but I will leave you with some video as we made our way around. https://photos.smugmug.com/Sea-To-Sky-Adventure-Ride/i-SDqwB7T/0/891841c3/640/20190902_230820_5478844424418-640.mp4
    mrmushman likes this.
  18. gasgas17

gasgas17 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Day 2 Continued, Bar Harbor to Freeport. Back out to the #1 and headed south to Freeport it's hard to miss the Penobscot Narrows bridge.

[​IMG]

Someday I will get up to that viewing point at the top of the tower..

As the view looks pretty good

[​IMG]

We showed up here at dusk. I had attempted to plan this trip so we would not be riding in the dark at peek deer season. Onward to Freeport the fastest way possible while getting lostish (lostish - somewhat lost, but only sort of. Mostly an inability to arrive at your destination) and missing one of those exits on the left side of the highway. (We don't have any left lane exits back here in NS) After some highways (the 295) and byways, navigating in the dark with deer on the side of the road we finally arrive in Freeport and our destination, the Idyll Motor Inn cottages. A quick check in and drive around in the laneways of the cottages after some really bad directions from the staff we send a man back for more directions and more importantly the room numbers as they were not on the key tags (somewhat relevant information eh). Then we find our rooms and unload the gear and we were dragging our frozen soles off for a late 10pm supper in downtown Freeport at the Broad Arrow Tavern. A hot meal and a wobbly pop hit the spot and wrapped up day 2.
    Joris van O, AngusMcL and B10Dave like this.
  19. gasgas17

gasgas17 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Day 3, the day we trade sea for sky............
  20. gasgas17

gasgas17 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Day 3 started out pretty nice weather wise. A bit on the cool side for this time of year. We had decided to sleep in until 7:30 am in our new found time zone. You gotta like a bonus hour. I'm not too sure where in this trip we received it, but it was in there somewhere I'm sure. It was probably absorbed back up by the 3 of us waiting for Steve "the twisty road whore" to get on his bike each morning. We didn't know what he was doing each morning, but I think we figured it out by the end of the trip. More on that later. The cabins where pretty roomy and we all had our own rooms so there was no snore factor to deal with. I believe we were on the road for breakfast by 8am ish. The cabins were a few miles outside downtown Freeport, so we just had a short ride to food. The plan for the day was to ride a big loop around the White Mountains and end at the top of Mt. Washington (hence the sky in the title).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Unfortunately for us the sky decided to find us by mid morning. We stopped at a small park in some little town along the way to dawn our rain gear. We were heading to meet my Brother for the ride around the White mountains as he was down at his cottage outside Bethel Maine. We were meeting at the intersection of the 302 and the 117. After riding through a bunch of little towns, construction zones and pouring rain we found the intersection but my Brother was nowhere to be found. We did find however some shelter....

[​IMG]

Then we figured out that there are 2 intersections of the 302 and the 117. So we rode over to the next intersection to find the Diner where my Brother was waiting for us, but he had decided riding in the rain all day was not for him when he had a warm dry cottage to hang out at. We didn't blame him one bit. It was not great riding weather, but we had a schedule to keep so we were going weather be damned. But not before checking out the local pizza joint, Bridgton House Of Pizza. Great pizza by the way. Along with an extensive menu of healthy delectables.............

[​IMG]

Then we were off to ride the Kancamagus Highway, and the rest of the White Mountain loop. In The Rain! I'll tell you what, it was still fun and we were staying relatively dry in the rain gear.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It was shortly after leaving Sugar Hill that it started. My rain gear started to leak! It was just a few drips, then it was like someone else peed in my pants. LOL I will have better rain gear on the next trip I can assure you. The race was on to get this day in the books. We were headed to my brothers cottage just outside Bethel Maine. Due to the poor visibility, we just scratched Mt. Washington off the list and headed for a place to dry out and a hot meal. Stopping for photo op's along the way.

[​IMG]

Other than a smallish gas tank the NC was working out great. I upgraded to a taller Seat Concepts seat foam and cover since the last trip and it was paying off big time! I also added a taller windscreen and luggage. I had a small set of soft bags the last time and it was nice to be using the luggage this time. Makes life on the road a bit easier that's for sure. Just turn the key and push the button and the luggage is in your hand. Even easier going back on. The cases did leak a tiny bit, but nothing the dry bags couldn't handle. I had also picked up a heavy duty dry bag for the overflow stuff that I may need along the way. Like rain gear and battery booster and extra shoes. This was just bungee corded to the cases over the rear seat.

We finally made it to my Brothers place in time for supper and hung all our wet belongings up to dry. Stuffed all our riding boots with news paper and placed them near the wood stove. That wood stove worked out wonderfully as we would not have had dry riding footwear the next day without it! After some hot spaghetti and a cold beer followed by some chit chat, it was time for bed. You 3 sleep upstairs in the bunk room and I will take this awful pull out. Snoring friends averted! HaHaHaaaa.... (;
    Joris van O and B10Dave like this.