Sea to Sky Adventure Ride - Halifax to Lake Placid

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by gasgas17, Aug 30, 2019.

1. gasgas17

gasgas17 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Day 4. "What day of the week is it ?" was starting to creep in. Sign of a good vacation in our books. My Brother cooked us up some breakfast and we packed up all our gear. It was all dry for the most part thanks to the wood stove. Just a slight bit of moisture left in my riding boots but a change of news paper stuffed into them at bedtime did the trick on the inside. The rest would dry out on the road. I would be remiss if I didn't stop to thank my Sister In-law and Brother for their kind hospitality. They were down for a week on vacation after their busy season and still welcomed us thugs in to their home away from home. It was much appreciated! The objective today was to get to Lake Placid. Or at least our Air B&B in Upper Jay NY state. But we would take another crack at MT. Washington before heading over to the adirondacks. Steve had never been to the summit and we were going to get him up on the mountain one way or another. On our way over to Gorham NH to turn south on the 16 to Mt. Washington I turned off on the 113 to Evans Notch. It's a pretty fun motorcycle road and the view ain't bad either.

[​IMG]

Steve "The twisty road whore"

[​IMG]

The NC 700 trying to look the part among the other cool bikes. I say they just paid more to do the same thing............... (:

[​IMG]
    mrmushman, Joris van O and MT 007 like this.
  2. Fast914

Fast914 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    You guys had an awesome trip...Steve conned me into returning to Off Road a few years back and that was a great idea....so we will have to see about a new to me road machine....I gotta get in on these trips!!! Awesome update Scott!
  3. gasgas17

gasgas17 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Leaving Evans Notch, we headed back out to the number 2 and on to Gorham. Then headed down the 16 to Mt.Washington, but it was apparent that is would be for not as soon as we could see the peek. One big black cloud was lingering around the summit and we did not have time in the schedule to wait for things to clear. We confirmed with the staff at the gate that the visibility was nill at the summit and decided to head west as planned. We were 0 for 2 attempts to get to the top of Mt. Washington and I figured we still had 2 more chances. One on the way back from NY and another the morning after before heading home. Be positive, we'll get it done.

Off to lake Placid, weaving our way across New Hampshire and Vermont in order to take in as much scenery and mountains along the way. We were heading to the Burlington ferry across Lake Champlain, but as you can probably tell by now, the gang is a sucker for the twisty roads. You could almost say we had zero willpower to take a direct route. But that was kinda the point of this trip. I spent hours looking at google maps, trying to find all the good motorcycle roads while keeping the days riding to 600 kms or less and it was paying off so far with some great riding. We had booked all of our accommodation ahead of time as we needed 5 separate beds originally. being down 1 rider, I think we could have left some nights open and adjusted the days on the fly. Here are a few pics of the scenery along the way to Burlington.

Western New Hampshire

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Steve had a mechanical. We had stopped to get off the bikes for a few minutes, figure out where we were going, have a snack, drink of water, etc. When we went to leave Steve's bike was a no start! The multistrada was dead on the side of the road and would not turn over. Steve figured it was the kickstand switch as the little nub on the switch appeared to be missing. He was correct. We fashion up a small jumper wire and eliminated the kickstand switch. Presto, the Multistrada came to life and we were on the road again. Interestingly enough, our missing rider home with the bad back had the exact same problem with his Multistrada a month earlier. Although a pretty common problem on any bike with a kickstand switch. Even on KLR's ! Maybe it was just time to leave New Hampshire as we were not having much luck in the live free or die state.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Onward to Vermont!

[​IMG]

We didn't get many pictures in Vermont for some reason. I guess we were on a mission to get to New York. After heading up the 232 trough Groton and back down to Stowe for lunch and back up the 108. We had a good chuckle going up up the 108 and seeing the watch out for falling rocks signs. The only rocks we saw were the size of a large van and larger. Seemingly placed along the winding road for all to weave in and out of. It was pretty cool actually. I will see If I can find our track for Vermont as it was a great ride to Burlington.
    B10Dave, AngusMcL and MT 007 like this.
  4. gasgas17

gasgas17 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Back home in Nova Scotia now working for a living and riding dirt bikes, so not much spare time to post updates. But they are coming! Got out for an awesome fall ride in my favorite place yesterday. [​IMG]
  5. gasgas17

gasgas17 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Day 4 Continued....
    Burlington VT, or more importantly the ferry to Port Kent, NY or not. After reviewing our distance to the ferry and the ferry schedule we had to make an adjustment and switch gears to the Cumberland Head -Grand Isle ferry. After arriving in Walnut ledge and getting stuck in traffic Mel found us a go around on the GPS and we turned around for a slight back track and crossed the lamoille River higher up at the dam, then dropped back down to the #2 and across the causeway to Grand Isle, VT. It was a worthy change up in my opinion. But now we had a task of getting down to Upper Jay, NY before dark so we could find the rental.

[​IMG]
    mrmushman and B10Dave like this.
  6. gasgas17

gasgas17 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    New York state in the distance.

[​IMG]
    mrmushman, B10Dave and Joris van O like this.
  7. gasgas17

gasgas17 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Lake Placid and an unlucky cow......

It was a long day in the saddle (that was beginning to be a trend), so when we landed on the shores of NY state, I turned us to the highway and beat it south on the 87 interstate. We needed to find the Air B&B in Upper Jay and get some supper. We pulled into the accommodation right at dusk and unloaded the luggage. It was a house rental with a double garage on the main floor. Perfect for motorcycle parking. It was a good to be at our destination and all that was left on the list was to find food. We decided to head into Lake Placid and find a spot for supper. It was dark now, so we were riding all these mountain roads in the blackness, keeping an eye out for wildlife along the way. If there is one piece of advice I can offer anyone that is considering a road trip adventure for the first time, it would be to invest in axillary lighting for your bike. The stock headlight was just not cutting it on the old NC700. More on this later as it became a major safety issue.

As we roll into Lake Placid looking for some good food we take a wild guess and try the Upstairs Grill. Meat, fire, good was kicking in, so they had us at "grill". We park the bikes and head up the steps to this fancy restaurant (the food comes on plates and the napkins are linen). I already knew I was ordering steak and ordered the 10 once tenderloin, Devin and Mel both go with the planked salmon. Steve on the other hand ordered this 20 once planked beast of a steak. I'm pretty sure they had to cut some old growth forest just to get the plank!

[​IMG]

As we witness Steve devour this once great animal ( I'm sure it most likely grazed some great pasture with mountain views overlooking Lake Placid chewing its cud like an Olympian) Keep hands clear folks!

[​IMG]

Was that a moo I heard..........? No, it was the devil sacrificing another innocent animal! If the planked meat wasn't so tasty it would have been a traumatizing event.

[​IMG]

Preferred parking for the night. Handy as it poured rain over night and until 11 am the next day.

[​IMG]

And that was it for day 4. After the sacrifice we were all pretty done for the day.
    B10Dave likes this.
  8. gasgas17

gasgas17 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Day 5. A day to do some sight seeing and stretch the old legs.
    Upon waking up at the fancey abode with the rain pouring down we decided to hang out until the rain stopped. Around 11 am the rain had passed by and we we headed down the hill to The Mountain Coffee Cafe, seen here on the right. Great food and great service! We highly recommend you check them out if your in the neighbourhood.

[​IMG]

After breakfast we went and checked out the High falls Gorge and did a bit of a hike.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The walkways were built pretty stout as evidenced here supporting Steve and half a sacrificed cow.

[​IMG]

Mel and Devon experiencing the glass panel observation deck. If you're ever visiting the CN Tower in Toronto, you can look for moderately nervous people standing on the glass floor and walk over and jump onto the same panel as them. Usually good for a laugh or a stern look. ;)

[​IMG]

https://photos.smugmug.com/Sea-To-S...c25abff/1280/20190905025259_MVI_0163-1280.mp4
    mrmushman likes this.
  9. gasgas17

gasgas17 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Day 5 Continued ..

By this time we were aware of Hurricane Dorian coming up the coast and were starting to pay attention to the weather forecasting, but for the rest of day 5 we hit every twisty road around Upper Jay, lake Placid, Whiteface Mountain and everything in between. Where we found this lake.

[​IMG]

and groovy twisty section...

https://photos.smugmug.com/Sea-To-S...9115772/1280/20190905053414_MVI_0194-1280.mp4

and then this dam at the other end of the lake. Franklin Falls

[​IMG]

https://photos.smugmug.com/Sea-To-S...LB2m/0/dc51e0ad/1280/20190904_165521-1280.mp4

Unfortunately it was over cast at the peak of Whiteface Mountain, so we didn't make it up to the top of the Veterans Memorial Rd. at Whiteface Mountain. Just as far as the toll both. Try again in the morning before we head south towards Lake George area. We ended the days riding with a meal at The Hungry Trout. We ate down stairs at the bar where it's not as fancey.

[​IMG]

It's right beside the Flume Falls. This is a picture just up stream from beside the parking lot of the Hungry Trout.

[​IMG]

https://photos.smugmug.com/Sea-To-S...7pkL/0/f3d9eaff/1280/20190904_180848-1280.mp4

Then it was back to the house. By this time it was apparent we were going to get caught up in hurricane Dorion well before our 9 days was up. We were 3 days from home. Some of us had to be back for work on Monday morning, but it was not looking like we were going to make it. What to do was the evenings topic of discussion. Bee-line for home or wait it out somewhere in Maine?
    MTBRALPH and mrmushman like this.
  10. mrmushman

mrmushman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Nice trip! You went through so many of my old stomping grounds in Maine, NH, VT, and the Adirondacks> It's been 30 years since I was back there. I recommend taking the road from Burlington north and through the islands some time. One of my favs.
  11. gasgas17

gasgas17 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Do you mean Grand Isle? We did get on the ferry from there, but man there was so much to see, a guy could spend a month and a half riding around and still not see it all. Upstate NY is a pretty awesome place, I just wish it was closer.
  12. mrmushman

mrmushman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Screenshot 2019-10-18 at 9.51.25 PM.png

Yes, Route 2 all the way up and over to Champlain. Beautiful.
  13. fredgreen

fredgreen let's take it apart....

Oddometer:
    If you enjoy the New England riding, you should consider attending the CroMag rally in Vermont. It is held every September just outside Woodstock, VT. Lots of local riders to lead on rides you just can't find if you're not from the area.
  14. infoatnmmoto

infoatnmmoto with the band

Oddometer:
    Nice ride. In '79 I did it from Lake Placid to Halifax. The view from my deck with Whiteface in the background.
    IMG_20160623_171949.jpg