SeaBee1 & Buddy Memorial - Thanksgiving Coke Ovens Ride 2020

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by Reidy008, Nov 8, 2020.

1. Reidy008

Reidy008 I,m in if we go fast

Oddometer:
    We're planning to do the Coke Ovens loop again this year on Saturday the 28th of November. Staging area will be at the High School Parking Lot in Superior.

We started doing this ride many years ago and a number of years back we turned this into a memorial ride for a great friend and rider SeaBee1 (Don) This year we add another amazing man to this memorial ride in 4Play (Buddy). Buddy has been the one posting up this ride for many years and this year we get to gather and remember him along with Don starting a new tradition of remembering both of these incredible men.

The loop is ~55 milesish. Right out of the gate we will run up a rocky hill (If that hill makes you uncomfortable, you may want to consider going back) the ride only continues getting more difficult & rocky with the occasional trouble spot. On to Ajax mine & passed the famous Coke Ovens then out to the trucks. Lunch will be at Porters in Superior. This is a very remote, very rocky ride. Competent, well prepared riders on well prepared bikes are welcome to follow along.

RIDE Details:
    Ride at your own risk.
    I was asked about liability forms.
    Myself & a few others are offering to show the route to & from the Coke Ovens. If you decide to join us, you must assume full responsibility for yourself & your safety. If that is not acceptable don't come.

Riders meeting 8:15am
    You should be unloaded & mostly suited up prior to the meeting.

Ride time 8.30 am
    Given the number of riders in the past, we will practice bump n go. There are several places that would be easy to miss a turn, so this is not optional.
    Each rider will make certain the rider behind him knows which way they went. Showing up at a checkpoint without your "buddy" will not be taken lightly.

If you come to an intersection & you're not sure which way to go :dunno , STOP AND WAIT, someone will come back for you while the rest of us are beating :thwak or at least verbally abusing the individual who didn't make sure you knew which way to go.

There will be traffic, other bikes, quads, side by sides & Jeeps frequent the entire route. Stay to the right & try not to become a hood ornament. Lots of rain wash outs that are not visible until you are on them. Lots of dust, don't ride faster than you can see, back off & let the dust settle. Remember the rider in front of you will make sure you don't miss the next turn.

If you show up late for the ride we will not wait on you. Nothing personal, but the rest of us did not get up early to wait on you. Your welcome to catch up.

This is a very rugged, remote, rocky son of a gun. Please use ATGATT. IMHO knee & elbow guards are not optional equipment, if you fall it will be on something hard and/or pointed. If you get hurt back there there is no easy way out, plan on paying for a helicopter ride.

You must be self sufficient, lots of water, snacks, tools/parts & ability to repair a flat etc. I'm thinking it'll be close to 2pm by the time we get to eat lunch at Los Hermanos so plan your snacks & water accordingly. I have no problem with beer AFTER the ride, but not before or during please.

We do not tolerate littering, you pack it in, you pack it out. We also try hard to be polite, give others plenty of room & gently pass them when it's safe to do so.

Only healthy riders with well maintained equipment should attempt this ride. Please air your tires up accordingly for this ride, lots & lots of sharp rocks & ledges. I remember very few Coke Ovens ventures that did not involve at least one flat repair.

Please read all of the ride reports that where posted earlier & be sure you are up for this ride. This ride is unique in that there is very little "cruising". From start to finish it's loose rock, washouts etc.

I'm not big bike bashing, but if you plan to show up on something that big and heavy, you'd better be very, very good on it. I've seen guys on the big KTM's & KLR's make the ride look easy, but they were exceptional riders. Your call. please respond to this thread if you plan to join and you will be added to the in list below. If bringing friends let us know how many in your group.

Come join us for an amazing day and very cool ride while remembering two of the best.

Should be a blast :thumb

In List:

Reidy008
    Cyberdos
    Slowred
    Yardstick
    pfdskipper
    CookiemonsterMoA
    Todd M
    Oc1
    Strappyman
    sonoran likes this.
  2. cyberdos

cyberdos Easy Bonus Loop ♦♦

Oddometer:
    Sign me up.
  3. Slowred

Slowred Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I’m in, but only if Cyberdos clears all the rocks out of my way, like he promised years ago. :D
  4. dangerzone02

dangerzone02 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What a great idea, sure beats a backyard football game!
  5. Yardstick

Yardstick Hydrophobic

Oddometer:
    I'm in! Will someone write me a note to get out of Jury Duty the following Monday if I get injured?
  6. cyberdos

Oddometer:
    Unless you guys really want Mexican food my suggestion would be for lunch at Porters instead. Los Hermanos used to be really good but the quality of the food as withered in the last few years. Porters has a new location down the street of where it used to be and it's really nice.
  7. Reidy008

Oddometer:
    I'm open for the lunch destination. Last time i rode down there was with you and that's were you took me to eat after.. so I guess you take the important people to the nice places..:D
    cyberdos likes this.
  8. Reidy008

Oddometer:
    Sounds like you could bring the family with you in the SXS..:happay
    BIG-E likes this.
  9. 2 SPOT

2 SPOT bring the rape whistle

Oddometer:
    should i bring my sxs? turn it into a cage party?

as much as i want to, thanksgiving w/e has never been good for me to get away.
  10. Reidy008

Oddometer:
    You have a SXS..? Hey Thanksgiving can be a tough time for sure with family commitments. I just know these two guys would have dropped every thing to help me or anyone else out and I can't pass up a chance to spend time remembering them and riding with friends.. but that's just me. :beer
    AZ TOM likes this.
  11. 2 SPOT

2 SPOT bring the rape whistle

Oddometer:
    i know i know,,, is what it is.

And technically its hers, i hate the damn things
    AZ TOM likes this.
  12. pfdskipper

pfdskipper Westside Trash Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'll be in on the motorcycle ride. Hopefully the sxs folks can haul some of our tasty snacks and
    beverages? Should be a great day to enjoy the trails and remember times spent with Buddy and Don. Hope to see lots of familiar faces.
    BIG-E likes this.
  13. cyberdos

Oddometer:
    I should read the details of the ride before posting. I just figured it was Saturday like every other year. If it's on Friday I'll have to miss it since unfortunately I work that day.
  14. Reidy008

Oddometer:
    Ride has been moved to Saturday with lunch at Porters afterwards. :clap
    pfdskipper and Yardstick like this.
  15. cookiemonsterMoA

cookiemonsterMoA Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Im in no matter what day it is :clap
  16. Plawa

Plawa ¿ʞO ǝʞᴉq ʎɯ sI

Oddometer:
    Timing doesn't quite work for me this year... Enjoy guys.
    2 SPOT likes this.
  17. cookiemonsterMoA

cookiemonsterMoA Adventurer

Oddometer:
    What you cant fly in for the day??
  18. Slowred

Slowred Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    S
    some people look for any excuse....:nah
  19. Reidy008

Oddometer:
    We could get a GS for you for the day Plawa.
  20. cyberdos

Oddometer:
    I ran the route today. There were a TON of jeeps out there and believe it or not, there were a lot of mountain bikes too :loco

It was a bit annoying. I know that the place is not only for us but I've never seen anything like it. On the trail that leads down to the coke ovens there was a convoy of 22 jeeps. 22!! and the lead guy was high centered on what was a spot that was nothing terrible. Steve was tagging along so he couldn't get around them so we just bailed on reaching the ovens. Still a nice day of riding. Clocked in 45 miles.

Oh, an the Ajax mine wash is good to go with very few obstacles in the way:lol3

[​IMG]
    redrock88, Foiler, BIG-E and 2 others like this.