Seat Adjustment on R1200GS

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by teomannaskali, May 4, 2011.

1. teomannaskali

teomannaskali Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have a 2005 R1200GS

And i find that it is most comfortable with the front side set to the high setting and the back side set to the low setting.

I just read in the manual that one should not do that, any idea why? I find the seat is much more comfortable this way and i dont end up sitting on my nads.
  2. viz

viz I Ride Ms Piggy

Oddometer:
    Been doing that for the last 27,000 km on my GSA. Way more comfortable than having the rear up as well - otherwise I get to sit on my 'nads and them fellas don't like that at all...

And I have seen the reference in the manual. But cannot see the reason why.

viz
  3. teomannaskali

teomannaskali Long timer

Oddometer:
    Its been 1.5k for me, no probs.

Except now you do see under the seat a wee bit. I can see the battery terminals when i sit for example.
  4. Avocet

Avocet Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've been doing that for around 60,000 miles on three different bikes and never had a problem. I don't know why BMW says that it shouldn't be done.

If they would design the seat so that it sits at a reasonable angle, as opposed to tilting you against the gas tank, it wouldn't be necessary. BMW does a lot of things right, but when they do something wrong they really hate to fix it, as if fixing it would be admitting that they made a mistake. They therefore carry on with stupid design features for years. I've observed this behavior in their cars as well as their bikes. Don't get me wrong, I like their bikes and their cars, but they always make you put up with a few dumb things in exchange for allowing you to enjoy the things they do so well.
  5. tallguy-09

tallguy-09 Smile 4 Miles

Oddometer:
    You'll see that the seat guide taps in front of the seat when set to high and rear to low will press a bit against the tank panels but not a big deal.

I'm on a GSA seat and want to raise the front leaving the rear on high (I'm 6'6")

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=680744
  6. AviatorTroy

AviatorTroy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Pretty much everyone I know rides that way. Personally, I still don't think it really cuts the mustard in the comfort department, but my wife would shit if I go and buy an aftermarket seat right now. Next attempt is an Airhawk.
  7. tallguy-09

tallguy-09 Smile 4 Miles

Oddometer:
    I find the GS pillow rear seat pretty good (better than GSA rear seat) and the front is also good, GSA seat adds 20mm to the GS seat in terms of height. Personally I think if you're not riding all day long the seats are just fine.
  8. freyke

freyke Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yup, I do it this way too... I really like the seat set up this way. I've got over 2500mi on 'er set this way, no issues. :1drink
  9. tallguy-09

tallguy-09 Smile 4 Miles

Oddometer:
  10. pbennett

pbennett Adventurer

Oddometer:
    :thumb I got an airhawk for my GS - once you get it adjusted correctly it's wonderful.
  11. tallguy-09

tallguy-09 Smile 4 Miles

Oddometer:
    I liked my standard GS seat in high position but needed more leg room so switched to a used GSA seat, great seat height for me and since I'm not too heavy (190lbs) my main complaint was the forward slope of the GSA seat, I'm now very happy with my solution.

12. jolly green giant

jolly green giant biggles

Oddometer:
    I'm 6'7" and pretty light myself - good on the knees, not so good to drag a heavy bike on its centre stand.

Anyways, when I bought a 05 GS last summer it came with a low seat, so Houston we have a problem. Ordered a high seat from BMW and thought problem was solved. But we have another problem - seat slopes towards the tank. Partially solved it by raising the front seat clamps by 13mm.

Next improvement will be to add bar risers, although to be honest I haven't been offroad yet because that is not my main objective. Here's a photo of my bike with seat raised.

[​IMG]

I also fitted a GIVI Aiflow screen to impove protection. It is better than the stock screen but for people over 6'6" its not so effective, apart that it looks hideous.
  13. Okie Preacher

Okie Preacher Long timer

Oddometer:
    "I'm 6'7" and pretty light myself..."

"I got an airhawk for my GS - once you get it adjusted correctly it's wonderful..."

A couple questions for the long legged among you. (I am 6'4" and 250# with a 35" inseam.) I have an 09 GS with GSA seats. I generally run them high in front and back, unless I have the AirHawk attached when I drop the back into the low position which makes a nice notch for the back of the AirHawk to settle in.

On long runs the AirHawk is a vast improvement over the stock seat as far as comfort goes. I put almost 3,000 miles on the bike last week on a run down south with multiple 600+ mile days. But...I can't help but think there is something better.

I keep looking at the RDL but have one primary concern. With my long legs my natural seating position has me sitting on the split between the front and the pillion seat. (Not a problem as the wife does not enjoy riding and I am one-up 99% of the time.) I am using aftermarket pegs set in the "low" position as well. The RDL, with it's raised cantle and wide wings looks comfortable in its ability to support and distribute weight, but it also looks like it would lock a guy into a more forward position.

Does anyone have any first hand experience that they could pass on that might be helpful? Can they "stretch" a RDL to allow for some room fore and aft?
  14. JKGREEN

JKGREEN Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I did mine that way after my first ride. Have 900 miles on the bike and the seat hasn't fallen off yet..
  15. teomannaskali

teomannaskali Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for sll the info.

The gap in front bothers me a bit.
  16. tallguy-09

tallguy-09 Smile 4 Miles

Oddometer:
    As far as function goes the gap can be filled with some foam tape (~1" thick) used in construction and attached to the tank, this would keep water away from the battery when it rains. I'm not bothered but my balls are thrilled :D

[​IMG]

17. teomannaskali

teomannaskali Long timer

Oddometer:
    How do your testicles appreciate this :D
  18. Callisto224

Callisto224 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    +2. Airhawk with the front of the seat up and the back of the seat down. :evil
  19. teomannaskali

teomannaskali Long timer

Oddometer:
    There are two little flexible tabs that are at the mounting points of the seat, towards the tank.

One of them fell off, and i noticed it is much easier to replace the seat without them. So i just removed them both as i could not see a purpose to them. What are they good for?
  20. teomannaskali

teomannaskali Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hnm. Why do they fold then?