Seat Concepts

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by OldRnger, Jul 14, 2019.

Tags:
  1. OldRnger

OldRnger Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have an '09 F800GS was a Russell seat. My riding buddy just got a new African Twin and he let me ride it. In addition to being a great bike, the seat was really comfortable. I was going to sell my GS and get the Honda. But thought I would try a new seat. I got a seat from Seat Concepts in Caldwell, ID. It is the most comfortable seat I have ever sat on. It simply works! It was only $200 and is vastly superior to seats costing 5X as much. I would highly recommend this seat to anyone wanting to improve the comfort of their ride. J.
    RedEX, baldman1, Motonirvana and 3 others like this.
  2. Strong Bad

Strong Bad Former World's Foremost Authority Supporter

Oddometer:
    Seat/saddle choices are a personal preference. One man’s comfort is another man’s torture. I suggest not buying any off the shelf seat/saddle, have it custom fit to you and your ride by the maker.
  3. BikerBobber

BikerBobber Trying to get lost

Oddometer:
    I'll second Seat Concepts. Got one for my X challenge. Very comphy.
    cra_fizzer and 996DL like this.
  4. Panther6834

Panther6834 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    In what I'm about to say, I'm not going to mention product quality, as I have no clue on the quality of Seat Concepts products. That being said, I did check their website out...and, while their products do look "interesting", they don't appear to be a true improvement. Before you decide to contradict me, you have to understand that the problem with most OEM saddles isn't so much the cover, or the density of the foam, but the SHAPE of the foam, and the MATERIAL of the cover.

Briefly mentioning cover material, most OEM saddles are made of vinyl, and that vinyl tends to be on the thinner side (off-road bikes do tend to have slightly thicker vinyl). When you go with a custom saddle, yes, they cost more, but you are also usually presented with a wide variety of material choices, color choices, texture choices, and even stitching choices. For those offering vinyl, that vinyl tends to be considerably thicker, and will last much longer, than the vinyl on the OEM saddles. The higher cost is due to the fact of higher quality materials being used (again, compared to the OEM saddles). Now, about that foam..........

Any two people of the same height won't necessarily have the same leg-length (ie. inseam), or even the same arm length, thus their riding positions will be different. Taking that one step further, any two people with the same leg length can easily have different upper & lower leg length, thus, again, their riding position will be different. Taking things to the extreme, you could have 100 people of the same height, but all of them having different combinations of arm length, inseam, upper left length, and lower leg length, thus, you'll have 100 different riding positions, each one who would need a differently-shaped saddle to truly be "comfortable".

The point of all this is simple: As nice, and as inexpensive, as the Seat Concepts foam & cover might be, it's only going to be truly comfortable for a very small percentage of people...probably less than 5%. There will be a larger percentage...probably less than 10%...who will be (mostly) comfortable for short-to-medium length rides, but anything longer, and they "comfort" is gone. As for long-distance (and even medium-distance, depending on the type of bike) rides, for the other 90+% of riders (myself, included), the ride would be anything but comfortable. This is where custom saddles truly shine - not only is the material & stitching custom, but the shaping of the foam is custom.

The best custom saddles (I'm not mentioning any specific manufacturers, thus I can't be accused of promoting only specific manufacturers) are typically done through a manufacturer's "Ride In" service, where the pan is made, and the "basic"-shaped foam is attached, before you arrive (obviously, this means an appointment had to be scheduled, in advance). Then, upon arrival, the first thing you do is take the new saddle (no cover...just a piece of cloth) out for a test ride (10-15min is what's usually recommended). If it's too your looking, then the cover material & stitching selection is done, the cover is cut & sown together, then attached to the pan, and off you ride. However, if the shape of the foam isn't too your liking your new the TRUE customization begins - you tell the fitter what 'adjustments' need to be made, he/she shaves the foam (or replaces a section, if you're wanting additional foam), and you go for another test ride. This process continues, until you are satisfied with the shape of the saddle. Once satisfied (as mentioned, above), then the cover is made, attached, and off you ride.

Is a true custom saddle worth the higher cost? To some, it's not truly worth it. To others, it's "somewhat" work it, but a coat they're willing to pay. And, to others, it's most definitely worth it, as it's the ONLY way for them to truly be comfortable. The thing you (and every other person considering replacing any part of the OEM saddle) need to ask yourself is, "For your riding, is the OEM saddle TRULY comfortable?". If the shape is truly comfortable...for short, as well as long, rides...then, maybe, replacing the cover will solve your needs. However, for those needing to change the shape of the saddle, then a custom saddle is going to be the best solution, even though it will cost more. Costing "less" is not always 'better'...in fact, it's rarely 'better', but (usually) only 'slightly better'. In some cases, it could even prove to be worse.

Using myself as my own example, because of my "unusual" measurements (height, inseam, upper leg length, lower leg length, & arm length), a custom saddle is the only realistic answer. More importantly, going with my chosen manufacturer's "Ride In" service was one of the best, and smartest, things I've done with any of my bikes. Best of all, the "Ride In" service doesn't increase the cost (in actuality, it cost less, as I had no shopping cost). And, when I get my next bike...whenever that is...I will, again, go with a custom saddle. While a custom saddle will cost you more money, there are SEVERAL reasons why it will be better...much better, in many cases...than the OEM saddle.
  5. Migolito

Migolito Prognosticator and MotoYogi

Oddometer:
    Seriously! You checked out the Seat Concepts website and based on that you formed an opinion!? Hopefully, at least you also slept in a Motel 6 last nite.
  6. Panther6834

Panther6834 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Obviously, you didn't actually read what I wrote. If you had, then you would have understood that I made NO "opinion" of the Seat Concepts products. What I said had do with true custom saddles vs "replacement cover & padding" options, of which Seat Consoles falls under.
    ArcticRider likes this.
  7. bikerfish

bikerfish flyfishandride

Oddometer:
    well, I have one on my strom, it was a vast improvement over stock, and still comfy coming up on 50k miles.
  8. bomose

bomose Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've had 5 Seat Concept seats. KLR, DR, XRR, 950 KTM, and 990 KTM. All were much more comfortable than the stock seats. They may not be as comfortable as a custom seat, but they're not nearly as expensive. My Russell is more comfortable, but cost about $600. So 3 times as much and not too good for off road riding.
    996DL and csw1742 like this.
  9. 996DL

996DL Buell me

Oddometer:
    Std height Seat Concepts kit, straight vinyl covering for wet weather, fitted onto my DRZ400SM's oem seat base, VERY satisfied.

Their lineup for the DRZ400, DR650 and Suzuki's VStroms, is as close as you'll get to a premium quality and affordable seat upgrade homerun. :thumbup

996DL
  10. Milekone

Milekone Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Very happy seat concepts seat owner here. On my second one from them. 1st Super Tenere tall and now KTM 1090 tall
  11. bluestar

bluestar sheep shagger

Oddometer:
    Obviously, you didn't read what you wrote either dumbass.
    MikeinSA, BluByU and XTremeRide like this.
  12. elcabong

elcabong Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've had Seat Concept saddles on each of my rides and could easily ride 500+ miles per day with no discomfort. Far superior than the OEM. Does that make me a 5%er now?
    FWIW, riding buddy did the ride-in fitting at BMS and spent a few hours with them. Nice saddle however he still can't do the miles I can. No guarantees on either end.
  13. gzrglyde

gzrglyde Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I put a Seat Concepts seat on my G650GS and love it!!!
    cra_fizzer likes this.
  14. 2whlin

2whlin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    99% of the people probably don't live near a custom seat manufacturer where they can just go in and test ride a seat. Stock seats are terrible and aftermarket seat manufacturers do a very good job of filling needs of most. Sux to be you who can't find the right seat.
  15. gzrglyde

gzrglyde Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yeah...agree. The only places you can actually sit on an aftermarket seat is at some rally or show, and it makes no sense to drive 300-500 miles to a show just for that...IMHO. I bought my Seat Concepts seat for the GS based on recommendations, and I love it. I have a KonTour seat on my AT that was built for the previous owner. It has great cooling but it did not fit my butt and was literally a pain...until I put the seat in the low position...now it works for me...could be better, but it works.
    Eatmore Mudd likes this.
  16. bluemax151

bluemax151 青空

Oddometer:
    I purchased the Low seat step seat with gripper top & carbon fiber sides for my KLR back in 2016. Whole seat with the Seat concept pan. My Father sent in my original seat and got the commuter for his bike. Vast improvement over stock.
  17. BluByU

BluByU Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I am no expert on what seat works for anyone butt myself, so take this with a grain of salt if you please.
    Over the many years I have been on 2 wheels, I have tried almost every custom seat on the market. Some were great on one bike but sux when ordering the same seat for another bike. Custom made (ie;ride in and have made on the spot) have always been the best, but not always practical. Used custom seats can be a crap shoot, although ya can save a few $$.
    I have had a Seat Concept and in my opinion it's a dam good seat for the $$$ spent. Are they the most comfortable? how the hell would I know what you need in a seat. It did the trick for me on the KLR, and I would buy one again if I needed to ride a KLR from NJ to CA again.
    RedEX likes this.
  18. Schmokel

Schmokel Key to Happiness: Low Expectations

Oddometer:
    I have an SC Tall on my DR. Did a 17h, 700 mile road trip in a day. I was fine afterwards. Well, my ass was. My mental status was a bit drained.

Its now covered in an Alaskan Sheepskin. Like sitting on a bag of titties.
    H&B Unlimited and Byrdmando like this.
  19. shrederscott

shrederscott Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hi

Seat concepts clearly is not a true custom saddle.

That said

It is a HUGE improvement in comfort over the factory KTM saddle.

I am happy Seat Concepts ridder ! !

Scott
  20. cra_fizzer

cra_fizzer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So did I. So much better than OEM.