Seat Cover Installation Advice Needed

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Boomer343, Oct 4, 2019.

1. Boomer343

Boomer343 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have put seat covers on CB350's I've rebuilt but they were all flat seats, pretty straightforward.

This time around I have an aftermarket seat foam and cover that has the cafe hump. My concern is that I will end up with a loose area where the seat transitions to the hump. So do I use spray adhesive on that section?
    The grey foam cover doesn't strike me as a good product to glue to.

DSC02908.JPG DSC02907.JPG
  2. Yinzer Moto

Yinzer Moto aka: trailer Rails Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just start stapling, you may have to pull a few staples here and there to remove creases.

Do you have a air powered stapler? That will make life much easier.
    TonyKZ1 likes this.
  3. H96669

H96669 A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer:
    If you decide on spray adhesive,get some with a high heat resistance spec.Covers get rather hot in the sun and that releases some adhesives.

I have a can of some commercial 3M product.Heat resistance spec is up to 230F.Old can and marked as "not for sale to public" but I remember buying it at an autobody supply store.
  4. Boomer343

Oddometer:
    It is going onto the original steel pan that has the bendable metal spikes. The spacing of the spikes varies but is about 1.5 inches apart. Stapling isn't an option. The cover and foam were made to go on the original pan.

H96669 I'll check into the temp rating of the spray I have.
  5. ozmoses

ozmoses . Supporter

Oddometer:
    Somebody had a thread here years ago which inspired me to build a new seat for my '81 G/S.

He used a material which was pink(??) in color in place of the grey in your pic;iirc it did accept adhesive.

I forget what he called it, but two fairly major foam suppliers in my area did not have it.
  6. H96669

H96669 A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer:
    I see the Permatex adhesive on your pic.That one is easily available at most autoparts but not the best,it did turn to squish on me in the heat.

Off the top of my head as I am on the road a ways from home,specs are around 180F for the Permatex?

3M 08090 Super Trim adhesive?As per their TDS would have the highest heat resistance.
  7. Boomer343

Oddometer:
    H96669 you are correct the max temp on the permatex adhesive is 177 F.

I know from experience that things need to be smooth or will show up later. It was an expensive seat/foam replacement that I got in a project bike buy. At one time I found it online but can remember the site. Will do some further digging about the mfg and a glueable foam.
  8. rotaxhippie

rotaxhippie more cowbell

Oddometer:
    We steam covers which allows more movement and stretch on difficult covers. You can also use a heatgun or hair dryer, just be cautious to not overheat. Some adhesives will also make the vinyl firm up. So maybe try a test piece.
  9. anonny

anonny What could go wrong?

Oddometer:
    I do tons of these things, 3M makes a spray adhesive named Super 77 that works decent. Just follow the mana fractures instructions.
    Bigger Al likes this.
  10. Grinnin

Grinnin Forever N00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've covered 4 older Honda seats and they have a few styles of spikes. Some are easier to work with than others.

For metal pans like that, I usually use binder clips to hold the vinyl in position while I work around and hook the vinyl on the barbs. Fold the vinyl over the edge of the seat pan and put the clip on to hold the position. The clips won't hold the final amount of tension, but generally keep things in position and straight.

It helps to warm the vinyl between clipping all around and going back to stretch the vinyl in the final position and tension.

I wouldn't glue to that thin open-celled foam. YMMV.