Seat damage.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Nandoclp, Oct 7, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Nandoclp

Nandoclp “V-Strom 650 XT Rider"

Oddometer:
    The seat of my motorcycle (V-Strom 650 2019) suffered minor cuts caused by a social parasite (cat). I wonder what repair options are available to prevent water from entering ... Thank you!
    PS: Sorry for the bad english !!!
    374120EA-FF06-4C1E-91E7-0CC42550A1BD.JPG
  2. TripleTriples

TripleTriples Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    baldman1 and Nandoclp like this.
  3. Zuber

Zuber Zoob Supporter

Oddometer:
    Vinyl spray paint, for vinyl seats. It actually sprays vinyl. Use in a really well ventilated area. I've sprayed it into a cup, then use a stick to trowel it into minor cuts. Can look like original if you have skills.
    Nandoclp likes this.
  4. Beezer

Beezer Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Anchorage, formerly Spenard (hub of the universe)
    Nandoclp likes this.
  5. PeterW

PeterW Long timer

Oddometer:
    1) Kill the cat, skin it and use it to cover the holes.
    2) Seat concepts base and cover.
    3) Seat covers from eBay
    4) Local furnishing store, buy some vinyl & DIY. Won't look great, but it will work.
    5) Phone round automotive and marine upholsterers. Most can do a really good job on a bike seat.
    6) If you haven't disposed of the cat yet :), work through options 2-5 until you get pissed off enough to do that.

And yeah, shoe goo will also work, sortof.

If you have a compressor you can do better. Get an air stapler and stainless staples, pull the staples at the front, repair from underneath using a vinyl repair kit (Camping stores sell them for fixing holes in air mattresses) and put a waterproof layer under the repair, staple it back down. With CARE you can make that almost unnoticeable. (Something like heavy duty garbage bag, or phone around and see if you can find something intended for the job). Problem with using common household plastics is that most will break down.

A lot of those options need an air stapler, if you have a compressor and are in the US, cost is around $30. A hand stapler is NOT good enough.

Note: I like cats, I have a cat but seriously some things are above and beyond ;)
    Nandoclp likes this.
  6. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    #3 then daub it in with an artist brush or small matchstick like end and then smooth tape it (to flatten the repaired area) for a day or so until it dries. You don't need $30 worth of colors, just black. There are many brands of vinyl repair material.
    Nandoclp likes this.
  7. foxtrapper

foxtrapper Long timer

Oddometer:
    Turned the child loose with some of his black Sugru to fix some splits/tears on my Honda seat. Been several years now, the repairs are holding up just fine. It's visible, but you have to actually look at it to see it.

There is also the likes of tear-aid tape.
    Nandoclp likes this.
  8. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    I'd look into options mentioned.

Fix it with some vinyl spray, maybe liquid electrical tape.
    Seat cover from ebay and staple over the original.

I'd also be concerned that the cat will return to it's new found scratch pad.
    Nandoclp likes this.
  9. Salsa

Salsa Long timer

Oddometer:
    Vinyl Glue

Don
    Nandoclp likes this.
  10. big-g-nm

big-g-nm Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have used black RTV (room temperature vulcanizing) sealant on a couple of motorcycle seat covers that were sun dried and cracked, and it worked okay. Appearance was not an issue for me but I did sculpt it a little so it at least followed the original seat cover embossing pattern. I roughed up the area around the cracks with sandpaper to give it some "tooth" to bond to and it's held up for several years on my old bikes.
    Nandoclp likes this.
  11. Nandoclp

Nandoclp “V-Strom 650 XT Rider"

Oddometer:

LOL... Thanks man!
  12. Arbolmano

Arbolmano Not so Studly

Oddometer:
    Sheepskin cover EZ an useful. Cat may be back. Repair seat, no worry about appearance. I like to go to scrap yards and
    get fancy car seat covers from wreck, cut out seat cover. Sheepskin much nicer to your precious parts if left to sit in the hot sun.
    Toss in pannier if rain threats.
    Nandoclp likes this.
  13. H96669

H96669 A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer:
    Nandoclp likes this.
  14. rotaxhippie

rotaxhippie more cowbell

Oddometer:
    Water is going to enter your seat foam regardless of whether the cover is intact or not. Most marine vinyls shed water away, but the seat foam will still get wet if you ride or let the bike sit in wet conditions. We use VLP for small cuts to keep the vinyl from tearing further. It seals looking like super glue.

[​IMG]
    Nandoclp likes this.