SEAT - South East Adventure Trail

Discussion in 'GPS Tracks - Northeast, Southeast & Florida' started by NorthernTraveler, May 10, 2017.

1. Buzztail

Buzztail Buzztopian OG Supporter

Oddometer:
    @HickOnACrick just left Buzztopia. Was great to meet you Sir! Ride safe

FA6BC403-9697-49C5-AA1B-0571B68C162C.jpeg
    gulfcoaster and Ginger Beard like this.
  2. Buzztail

Oddometer:
    I’m local. If you PM me the coords, I’ll get over that way and lend an eyeball.
    FireDog45 likes this.
  3. CloudSplitter

CloudSplitter Putterer

Oddometer:
    Thoughtful of you to bring along that chair for the dog..
  4. NxtGoRnd

NxtGoRnd This Time Around, Wearing Out Tires Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well I brought two, one for her one for me. We always roll that way!:jack 20181004_152942.jpg
    pir8liner, gulfcoaster and Buzztail like this.
  5. Jollyrogers

Jollyrogers Long timer

Oddometer:
    Unfortunately I don’t have the last known coordinates. They were on my wife’s iphone and she didn’t write them down. They were 3 hours from me when I found an At&t store and called her.
  6. Buzztail

Oddometer:
    Gotcha. Still shouldn’t be too tough to find, and power up so you can wipe it. I’m headed out that way in the morning but it’ll be dark still.
    Love your avatar by the way :thumb
    Jollyrogers likes this.
  7. Jollyrogers

Jollyrogers Long timer

Oddometer:
    It’s just south of the train tracks past RT 65 by what used to be a huge mud (black sand) hole where a creak sorta crossed. Maybe a couple miles. I imagine the tractors cleaning up the “roads” dozed it over though...
    [​IMG]
  8. Buzztail

Oddometer:
    I’ll keep an eye out when I’m over there next, but yeah, probably a lost cause
  9. HickOnACrick

HickOnACrick Groovinator

Oddometer:
    NxtGoRnd, Snake Oiler and gulfcoaster like this.
  10. HickOnACrick

HickOnACrick Groovinator

Oddometer:
    My thoughts on the SEAT:

1. Thank you NorthernTraveler for putting this together. I downloaded your gpx file, opened it in Basecamp, made a few mods to suit my style of riding/navigating, and it worked flawless.
    2. I ran clockwise from N. Georgia. The bridge out near Opelika, AL would be easier counter-clockwise.
    3. The sand is brutal on your drivetrain. Put steel sprockets on if you can. If not, make sure your sprockets and chain are near new before starting.
    4. I recommend DOT knobbies. Tire choice is up to you, but I would make sure they have some bite and can last the duration of the ride. I ran a Dunlop 606 on the rear that already had about 2K miles before I started. It was shot by the end. Had I been running the route when it was hotter, I suspect the slab would have chewed it up by the half-way point. I put a new front tire on before I left, and it easily lasted the entire route.
    5. I would not want to do this route solo on my GSA. The sand could be especially challenging if there has not been recent rain. North Georgia could be especially challenging after rains. I certainly think it is possible to do on my GSA, but I am certain I would have dropped it more than a few times and it is difficult (for me) to lift that bike solo, especially when the bike is in an awkward position. I would not hesitate to do it on a big KTM as they are much better off-road. Lastly, many times I needed to hop over downed trees, route around obstructions, or cross sketchy mud or water sections that would have made me very nervous on a bigger bike, especially solo. I would do this ride on my GSA if I was with at least one other person to help recover after a drop.
    6. If you want to camp in designated campgrounds, plan ahead.
    7. The ride is MUCH more scenic than I anticipated. I have ridden a lot in the Mountain West, and I found this route just as fun and scenic as riding in the West. I am surprised it is not more popular.
    8. Food and fuel was a little scarce North of Carabelle until the Auburn area. It is around, but you may need to re-route to find it. I have a 300-mile range and was down to my last 40 miles when I finally found gas near Opelika. I did not top off in Carabelle and wish I had. Top off on fuel, snacks and water when you can.
    9. I agree with most who have done this route, the ride has a lot of slab around Augusta, GA.
    10. Pack light. Your ride will be much more fun in the end, and you will probably have fewer issues.
    11. There is no perfect riding gear for this ride. I had 40-degree temps with pouring rain all the way up to 80-degrees, high humidity and sun. Waterproof gear was essential for me. Layering is your friend. Morning fog and condensation on lenses was the norm.
    12. Be prepared to have dogs chasing you.
    13. If you are riding a thumper, check your oil every night and be prepared to add more daily. I used up a full liter - something about the riding because my bike rarely uses up oil.
    14. I would definitely do this ride again. October is probably the ideal time pending Hurricanes.
    Jimbobvfr, FAW3, Buzztail and 4 others like this.
  11. NxtGoRnd

NxtGoRnd This Time Around, Wearing Out Tires Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great I really enjoyed your report and thanks for the time and effort to post the thoughts it will be extremely helpful to others myself included.Great Job!!:clap:clap
  12. Snake Oiler

Snake Oiler If the world didn't suck, we would all fall off

Oddometer:
    Pennsylvania, but living in a toy hauler full-time
    I 2nd that.

Thanks
  13. Yinzer Moto

Yinzer Moto aka: trailer Rails Supporter

Oddometer:

X2 on the sand and drivetrains. We had rain, combined with sand. My drivetrain was trashed and I was lucky to make it home. I had to turn up the music in the headphones and ignore the ugly noises during the last few hours getting home.
  14. Buzztail

Oddometer:
    Anyone doing this ride that wants to overnight at my place in Crawfordville I’m not far off the route, and have space to do repairs, maintenance, hot shower, etc
    NeoScout, dstutz, Snake Oiler and 2 others like this.
  15. HickOnACrick

HickOnACrick Groovinator

Oddometer:
    ...and good coffee!
    NxtGoRnd and Buzztail like this.
  16. Buzztail

Oddometer:
    Thank you Sir. Was a pleasure to host you at a point along your journey. Glad I had that spare kickstand too!
    NxtGoRnd likes this.
  17. HickOnACrick

HickOnACrick Groovinator

Oddometer:
    Unfortunately, the kickstand you donated only lasted about half a day. I don't know what it is with KTMs and kickstands, but I guess their engineers focus more on other things...like BRAAAAP!!!

My aluminum sprocket by the end of the ride:

[​IMG]

Front sprocket at the end. It was not as bad, but I replaced it with a new larger one because I have never liked the stock gearing on the XCW. 1st gear is almost useless with the type of riding I do.

[​IMG]

New steel rear sprocket:

[​IMG]

And a new kickstand. I meant to do this years ago. Every person I have moto-backpacked with who rides a KTM has had a kickstand issue.

[​IMG]

I also had to replace my chain - it was shot, and I wanted to change the gearing anyway.

I took your advice and added the Kenda Trakmaster. I am curious to see if it lasts as long as the 606.

This is the 606 after over 3000 miles of riding - probably 50% on slab, and 50% of that during hot weather riding twisties in the Appalachians. 99% of the miles were with my camping gear.

[​IMG]
    gulfcoaster and FluffyMcgee like this.
  18. Buzztail

Oddometer:
    Well if it makes you feel any better the one you got was my spare, and the one on my 450 took a dump shortly after.

That TrackMaster went on my 450 this afternoon.
    F57B57D1-9913-4C7D-9BBA-D923E8A6B0B6.jpeg
  19. Yinzer Moto

Yinzer Moto aka: trailer Rails Supporter

Oddometer:

You’ll get about 1/2 the life out of the Trackmaster. It will look like that 606 at 1500 miles. Thier saving grace is that they are cheap. They are also lighter and perform better off-road.
    Buzztail likes this.
  20. Bluford

Bluford n00b

Oddometer:
    Does anyone know if the Southeastern Adventure Trail is marked at all from Florida up through up to near savannah