SEAT - South East Adventure Trail

Discussion in 'GPS Tracks - Northeast, Southeast & Florida' started by NorthernTraveler, May 10, 2017.

1. RockBreaker

RockBreaker Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Athens, TN...The best riding area ever!!!
    What do you mean when you say "marked"?. It's a GPS track/route that you follow...PS Welcome to ADVrider
    Yinzer Moto likes this.
  2. Bluford

Bluford n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks, i am having a prob loading the maps. I downloaded the app for dropbox, but says cant preview a gpx file. So i am trying to find out if you can follow it from fla to savannah without the gps route map. Thanks
  3. Bluford

Bluford n00b

Oddometer:
    Or...does anyone have a better method or source for a s e a t route map?
  4. NxtGoRnd

NxtGoRnd This Time Around, Wearing Out Tires Supporter

Oddometer:
    You could possibly download Garmin base camp into your computer then down load the gpx file but if you don't have a gps you would then have to view the file and write down the directions shown in base camp. Can be a big learning curve at least it was for me.
  5. RockBreaker

Oddometer:

In any case your going to need a GPS or a GPS app on a smart phone (all dropbox is good for is a storage site) I use Backcountry ($12) for my android phone, I hear Gaia works too, and if you have a iPhone use Motion X... Also I downloaded Garmin Basecamp on my PC to move everything around from (free) I don't know of any paper maps that you can use to follow the SEAT plus it would be a pain in the butt to try to follow it on paper, theirs about a kazillion turns all while navigating deep sand on the section you want to ride... Everybody needs a nerd for a friend....
    Snake Oiler likes this.
  6. Emgo

Emgo Started on a CT70 almost 50 years ago

Oddometer:
    Two other great navigation apps are discussed here https://advrider.com/f/threads/locus.989332/ and here https://advrider.com/f/threads/help-with-osmand.952238/

If your are determined not to use a GPS, even the one in a smart phone then you could get familiar with the on line trip planner Furkot, import the GPX SEAT and end up with something like the attached picture. I'm sure other members may have better solutions.

Capture.JPG
    FireDog45 and PYG RYDR like this.
  7. HickOnACrick

HickOnACrick Groovinator

Oddometer:
    I loaded the seat GPX file into the Locus app as a backup, but primarily used my Garmin. The Locus app does require that you buy maps for areas you plan to travel, but the maps are much cheaper than what Garmin sells (Like $1 per state). Personally, I used basecamp to break the map into sections then renamed each section to my preference, uploaded them to my cloud account, opened the Locus app, and downloaded them to the app. The Locus app takes a bit of getting used to so you may want to do some trial runs if it will be your only source of navigation.
    Snake Oiler likes this.
  8. matt300

matt300 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Looks like a cool track. Has anybody done this in mid to late February? I drew the short straw on vacation this year.
  9. dstutz

dstutz Long timer

Oddometer:
    First week of March?
  10. Yinzer Moto

Yinzer Moto aka: trailer Rails Supporter

Oddometer:
    We did it in early April this past spring and it was chilly up north. Florida was nicer but we got a lot of rain, so it was a bit chilly still. I used my heated grips every day. I think February would be possible but you might need to be willing to cancel or really tough.
    Snake Oiler likes this.
  11. NorthernTraveler

NorthernTraveler Long time Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I laid out the east side from Carabelle FL up to Dillard GA in JANUARY 2010.
    The last section up by Sky City I did in the dark in about 6" of snow going over the ridge.
    Had time constraints... ya do what ya gotta do.
    Of course, I live in northern Michigan, so the snow didn't seem too bad!

It all depends on the weather... if you catch a break and get a few warm days for the northern sections, you're golden!

What was more of a concern for me was the time I was rechecking the route after some heavy rains just north of Tate's Hell... the two track was flooded and it looked like a log had ended up in the right hand groove... so I slide over to the left hand groove and never slowed down... it was a gator.
  12. matt300

matt300 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    [QUOTE="What was more of a concern for me was the time I was rechecking the route after some heavy rains just north of Tate's Hell... the two track was flooded and it looked like a log had ended up in the right hand groove... so I slide over to the left hand groove and never slowed down... it was a gator.[/QUOTE]

Whoa!! That'll wake you up! :yikes
  13. Yinzer Moto

Oddometer:
    We did not see any gators down there, I kept looking.
    Snake Oiler likes this.
  14. Jollyrogers

Jollyrogers Long timer

Oddometer:
    Either did I, and I was paranoid as hell about them cause I was by myself!
    Yinzer Moto likes this.
  15. Yinzer Moto

Oddometer:
    We had wild hogs in our camp one night in Florida, that was some freaky noise, I never heard those noises before.
  16. dstutz

dstutz Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not cool to talk about your friends that way...that's how you end up riding solo!
  17. Yinzer Moto

Oddometer:
    :rofl
  18. NorthernTraveler

NorthernTraveler Long time Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Actually, there are gator tracks down there often - especially west of the 2nd grate bridge.
    Look for a long straight line across the road with alternating disturbed patches of sand on either side of the line.
    The straight line is from the gator's tail, the alternating marks are it's feet as it's walking.
    Yinzer Moto likes this.
  19. RockBreaker

Oddometer:

That could be Bigfoot in the rut as well...
    Rusty Rocket and Snake Oiler like this.
  20. Jollyrogers

Jollyrogers Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sure you weren’t in Georgia, near a river?
    Yinzer Moto likes this.