SEAT - South East Adventure Trail

Discussion in 'GPS Tracks - Northeast, Southeast & Florida' started by NorthernTraveler, May 10, 2017.

1. Yinzer Moto

Yinzer Moto aka: trailer Rails Supporter

Oddometer:
    We were a short distance from Georgia and next to a river....
  2. Johnnybags

Johnnybags n00b

Oddometer:
    Looking to ride the SEAT.
    Experienced rider from southern california.
    Got 5 LA-B-2V's under my belt and 2 Big Bear Run hard way plaques.
    525exc
    Xr400r
    Looking to ride my new 1190R on some over nighters in preparation for some BDR trips.
    Anyone interested
    Message me here or call text john
    619-241-3268
    Also open for any ride anywhere. Currently living on lookout mountain georgia just outside of chattanooga.
    Yinzer Moto and Buzztail like this.
  3. RockBreaker

RockBreaker Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Athens, TN...The best riding area ever!!!

I may get something up toward the end of March
  4. PittsDriver

PittsDriver Fuse lit.... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Living where you do now, you should look into the Smoky 500/1000 tracks. That's a great ride that can all be done within a half day of where you live but will take you 3 - 5 days to ride it through some very good and varying terrain, water crossings, and views.
    Johnnybags likes this.
  5. RockBreaker

Oddometer:
    I have rode parts of both those tracks, also rode the KAT x2, MABDR, SEAT x2, Georgia Traverse, Part of the TAT, Michigan UP off road, Blue Ridge x2, and a whole bunch of lesser known routes. All within the last 2 years, so I do enjoy motocamping... Check out my YouTube page I just started "Rockbreakers Adventures"
    Johnnybags, Woonjas and Snake Oiler like this.
  6. Glenn247

Glenn247 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wow. Would you possibly email me any gpx tracks you may have for Michigan's UP, Blue Ridge, KAT, and Georgia Traverse. They all sound interesting. I have family in Michigan and Florida
  7. RockBreaker

Oddometer:
    I think all these tracks can be found here on ADVrider in the GPS tracks thread.
  8. ssbogger

ssbogger Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Would a slightly lifted 4runner with a winch be able to do this route?
  9. Rusty Rocket

Rusty Rocket Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer:
    You can do anything in a rental car
    Buzztail, ssbogger, dstutz and 3 others like this.
  10. Yinzer Moto

Yinzer Moto aka: trailer Rails Supporter

Oddometer:
    There are places that I would not want to take a 4 wheeled vehicle
  11. RockBreaker

Oddometer:

Yes, I'm sure it could, except for the closed bridge, and one short section of road in Tates Hell that had alot of trees down. Should be easy to find go arounds..
    ssbogger likes this.
  12. GlennR

GlennR Chasin' my tail

Oddometer:
    And enough Beer! :beer
    Rusty Rocket and ssbogger like this.
  13. Johnnybags

Johnnybags n00b

Oddometer:
    I should've been more clear on my expected dates. Got some work commitments and Dr stuff end of March and possibly into April.
    So my expected dates would be end of April or later.
  14. Johnnybags

Johnnybags n00b

Oddometer:
    The tracks I was able to find and download for the SEAT appear to be from 2017....
    Are there more recent tracks and where, or should these be ok..
    Not opposed to a true adventure. But missing some relevant updates would be nice.
  15. matt300

matt300 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm riding the SEAT now. So far the gpx track has been spot on. We picked up the loop near Augusta on Monday, Feb 18 and have been riding it backwards (clockwise). Currently camping in Apalachicola area. We did take a few shortcuts on pavement to stay on schedule though.
    Johnnybags, FDSR_MIKE and mpusms like this.
  16. NorthernTraveler

NorthernTraveler Long time Adventurer

Oddometer:
    There are a couple of small known road closures, not a big deal to get around them.

I haven't been down to update the route in a few years, maybe I can get down for some updates this year.
    I mapped out a route to replace the TET up the east coast, then the MABDR came out before I had a chance to scout it.

Life got in the way for awhile as far as working on big routes go.

Starting last spring I've been working on several major historical routes.
    I've got the Mormon National Historic trail over 90% done, doing the Santa Fe National Historic Trail next month, the Pony Express and Oregon Trails about 50-60% done. Finishing them this year is my priority.
    scanda, GAS GUY, PittsDriver and 3 others like this.
  17. PittsDriver

PittsDriver Fuse lit.... Supporter

Oddometer:
    The Mormon National History trail you mentioned - does that follow the Mormon Pioneer Trail from Navoo to Salt Lake City? I ride with a couple of Mormons and we road it on the pavement on our way to Mt. Rushmore and beyond. Not a lot of elevation changes until you get to Wyoming I seem to recall. The Pony Express and Oregon Trails could be a great ride. I'd love to buy you a few beers sometime and hear how you approach defining and refining these tracks.
    Kiharaikido likes this.
  18. NorthernTraveler

NorthernTraveler Long time Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yes, the Mormon Trail goes from Navoo to SLC. Orginally followed in 1846-47. Used through the 1850s.
    These fall under the National Park Service who have published routes.
    Unfortunately, from my point of view, these are almost always on paved roads somewhat near the actual route.
    I have managed to get my hands on tracks that the NPS think are the ACTUAL main routes.
    So, I've been mapping routes that are as close as possible to the actual routes on public roads... the more minor the merrier!
    Still more paved than I would like at times, but it is as it is.
    The original section across southern Iowa was actually fairly hilly, tough sledding in oxen drawn wagons. The NPS version is on a smooth easy highway.
    Just that section has Garden Grove, Mt Pisgah, Richardson's Point and numerous river crossings.
    PittsDriver and Emgo like this.
  19. matt300

matt300 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Well we just finished the loop part of the SEAT yesterday on DRZ 400's. It was a great trip! We left from Charlotte and picked up the trail around Augusta, riding clockwise to Clayton, GA before heading back to Charlotte.

We detoured slightly to see Providence Canyon near Lumpkin, GA. It's a beautiful canyon that was formed in the last 150 years! Total mileage was 1830 over 8 days. We did end up slabbing a bit each day to stay on schedule. I think the days are still a bit short in February to make that much mileage off-road, especially when camping...or maybe we're just too slow! Also, we had to detour a couple times due to high water.

Thanks Northern Traveler for putting this route together! We had a great time.

Here are a few pictures: IMG_20190220_114909422_HDR.jpg IMG_20190221_105906306.jpg IMG_20190221_145244651.jpg IMG_20190222_111622001.jpg
  20. matt300

matt300 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    A few more:
    IMG_20190222_111710943_HDR.jpg IMG_20190222_172340554_HDR.jpg IMG_20190224_115657578_HDR.jpg IMG_20190224_184434433.jpg
    FAW3, PYG RYDR, gulfcoaster and 4 others like this.