SEAT - South East Adventure Trail

Discussion in 'GPS Tracks - Northeast, Southeast & Florida' started by NorthernTraveler, May 10, 2017.

1. NorthernTraveler

NorthernTraveler Long time Adventurer

Oddometer:
    You're welcome! Glad you enjoyed it!
  2. VKPayne

VKPayne n00b

Oddometer:
    We are going to do the western side of the SEAT in May. Going to start in Carrabelle. Did Y'all ride through Tate's Hell? What GPS are you using?
  3. matt300

matt300 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yep, we rode through Tate's Hell. We used Android phones with Osmand and GPX Viewer apps to navigate.
    Snake Oiler likes this.
  4. Adrenolin

Adrenolin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Are the tracks updated often? Installing it into MotionX-GPS tonight. May be riding some of it in a few weeks or a couple months.
  5. s.ga.rider

s.ga.rider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I don't think they are updated .We did the section from Columbus north and around to Savannah then ran out of time. We rode the section south of quitman ga back to osceola national Forest last week. We didn't have any issues. It's a good route overall. If you make it down south to my area ( thomasville ga) let me know and I will meet up and ride some with y'all .
    Adrenolin likes this.
  6. Adrenolin

Adrenolin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks. Couple of us are riding down the MABDR next week and might have a couple extra days before having to ride back up. We’re looking at possibly riding some of the SEAT since it just continues along or jumping west a bit to hit the eastern portion of the KAT or Hatfield McCoy farms.
    WRing FL likes this.
  7. LoneWolfNick

LoneWolfNick Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've got a planned ride with another buddy for the SEAT here in 2 weeks. Thought is to leave Jacksonville Fl around the 24th and make it back in one piece the following week. For the time begin we are cutting out most of the Tennessee to Virginia section and circling back around tellico plains. I'm riding an 18 enduro and buddy has a KLR. I'll update as best I can if we come into any trouble
  8. WRing FL

WRing FL Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm also leaving Jax on the 24th. I was going Solo. My plan was to go counter clockwise on SEAT, and tie in the MABDR.
  9. WRing FL

WRing FL Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Wow, good thing I looked at my work calendar. I can't head out till June 6th. I was planning to spend 14 days on my trip. I would have been 7 days in when they called asking why I didn't show up.
    Rusty Rocket likes this.
  10. LoneWolfNick

LoneWolfNick Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Welp we completed most of the SEAT last week. Left from macclenny Fl going counterclockwise.. only left the trail for food and shelter the first 3 days. Beautiful trail with awesome scenery once you get into the mountains... there was a bridge closure on our first day heading to Statesboro but they have a detour that we shouldve taken... few other sections claim road closures but motorcycles can drive right on through. Ended up losing my phone somewhere in John's mountain... good luck to everyone else completing this journey
  11. soloventures

soloventures n00b

Oddometer:
    got this file and linking it to a route from Pittsburgh through wv to va that someone sent me. I will be doing this solo out of Pittsburgh to fl and back is there a lot of off pavement on this route I've never done a trip like this before. do i just follow the gps turn for turn and it will keep me in as much dirt as possible? I'm running a ktm350 with a garmin 66s with the city street map package. I'm looking for a trip with as much dirt as possible on the east coast is this the right trip for me?
  12. worncog

worncog YBNormal Supporter

Oddometer:
    You need to load the route as 'tracks'. Tracks will display the route on your screen. Kinda like following a breadcrumb trail. Just make sure you change the color of the track so you can see it easily. If you load it as a route you will be chasing your tail every time the gps does a reroute.
  13. blk-betty

blk-betty bam-a-lam Supporter

Oddometer:
    How much of the SEAT (loop section) is off-pavement vs. paved roads? ....thinking about doing the loop since I'm relatively close by and need to decide on which bike to ride.
  14. WRing FL

WRing FL Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Mostly off pavement. Plan your sleeping in AL. That section of nothing but a gas station is all fenced or No trespassing signs. The gas station area is a rough neighborhood. There is a big chunk of road in the Augusta area. I just did it and more on a WR250R. It was fun. There is a section of closed road North of Augusta. A tree has fallen blocking the road. The tree is too low to go under and 8" where it goes off the side of the mountain. The option is to cut it up or unpack the bike and drop it over tree. Then pick it up on the other side. Or go around. The pic is why the road is close. There is a lot of sand and dirt in the southern portions. I liked the small bike but there is no reason a big bike couldn't do it. I just got home yesterday. The other closed roads were no issue. The water crossings in AL were over the front tire deep with all the rain. The bridge is still closed that he mentioned above. Looked fine to me. IMG_20190619_081652152.jpg
    blk-betty likes this.
  15. Buzztail

Buzztail Buzztopian OG Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just outside of Crawfordville, FL I’ve got tent space, or a bed and hot shower depending on how roughing it you wanna be.
  16. swamp

swamp Shut up. Ride.

Oddometer:
    If any of you riding the SEAT want to make a detour towards Barber Motorsports Park/Museum (ALABAMA) Im located East of Birmingham. I run a private enduro club on my property and can put you up for the night and guide you on my single track trails for the day (if you're on smaller bikes). you can camp here too. just message me on here or you'll get a faster reply if you get me on instagram @xc_trail_guy. have fun yall
    cKeggs, FireDog45, buckbo972 and 4 others like this.
  17. Jbrowning

Jbrowning Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Little confused about the color chart in the Dropbox file. Like on SE01, my main route is red (track) and SE01a is black.

i think I can figure it out with the text descriptions and labels, just wondering if the color chart is off
  18. NorthernTraveler

NorthernTraveler Long time Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I just checked the files in Dropbox, Green is main route and Blue is the alt.
    I've seen some apps that totally change the track colors, I suspect that's what's going on.
    OSMand did that when I tried using that, but haven't tried in a year or two.
    Locus seemed to handle tracks much better - left the colors and track names alone.
    Jbrowning and Snake Oiler like this.
  19. Edway

Edway n00b

Oddometer:
  20. Edway

Edway n00b

Oddometer:
    Is there an SD card available for Garmin GPS of the SEAT? My computer won't read the files for downloading.