SEAT - South East Adventure Trail

Discussion in 'GPS Tracks - Northeast, Southeast & Florida' started by NorthernTraveler, May 10, 2017.

1. VKPayne

VKPayne n00b

Oddometer:
  2. Rusty Rocket

Rusty Rocket Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer:
    Windows 10? When I click on the link my computer has a message at the bottom of the screen (Open, Save, Cancel) I usually hit the little arrow on the save button and select <save as> and send it to downloads with what I want to call it.
  3. Jolly Roger 250

Jolly Roger 250 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Not sure of any interest here, but the SCAR was released last night. Information can be obtained at the Facebook page. It will provide you with a link to the official website for the tracks and information. This is in my backyard, so I am looking forward to doing this. https://www.facebook.com/groups/SCAdventureRoute/
  4. wawarides

wawarides where's Laura0107? Supporter

Oddometer:
    And if you're not on the Book of Faces, http://scadventureroute.com.
    Beetle66, Rusty Rocket and mazocar like this.
  5. srelegante

srelegante srelegante

Oddometer:
    Anyone care to suggest whether this route is feasible at this time, given the state of affairs in GA, AL and FL? Looking at putting a ride together for next weekend.

Any input welcome.

TIA!
    dcwilcox likes this.
  6. Jolly Roger 250

Jolly Roger 250 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I guess it depends on a lot of factors. Are you camping or staying at motels? Since it is partially in Alabama and Florida, check the campground and motel status. Eating at restaurants or buying food at the grocery stores and gas stations? I don't think gas will be an issue. So, if the other factors check out, and the weather will work for you, then go for it. Where will you start and end? How much time are you giving it? Hope it works out for you (and others if they are going). Let us know how it goes.
  7. s.ga.rider

s.ga.rider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What sections? A weekend isn’t enough to do the whole thing.
  8. gtdsrider

gtdsrider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It would be possible to ride the SEAT now but you might want to plan on a "camping only" trip. Gas, groceries and take out food are available in every small town. The state parks and campgrounds are closed . I don't know how many of the small motels would be open along the way but the ones that are open would be happy to see you. You can always camp in the national forest under the dispersed camping provision as long as you follow those guidelines.
  9. s.ga.rider

s.ga.rider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Me and a buddy were planning on doing the section from bountstown fl to Columbus on Sunday. I would have the trail complete then except for Jacksonville to savannah.

state parks are open in Georgia. South ga anyway.
  10. gtdsrider

gtdsrider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The weather in Georgia has been just about perfect recently. Cool morning but highs in the seventies each day with clear blue skies.
  11. mpusms

mpusms Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I agree with gtdsrider and BTW you're not missing anything between Jax and Sav just make sure you ride Osceola Wildlife Management Area north of Lake City.
  12. gtdsrider

gtdsrider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    We rode the SEAT ride in late January before Covid , seems like a long tine ago! The big national forest sections were the most interesting sections of the whole trip . The Talledega NF with the cool high speed hills and valleys in a straight line, then the huge Apalachicola NF followed by Tates Hell State Forest approaching Carabelle. The other one that really was beautiful was just mentioned, Osceola NF between Lake City and the Ga. State Line.
    The deepest sand we encountered were the unpaved roads between Tallahassee and Lake City that had just been graded. There were miles and miles of foot deep loose sand that required some speed and concentration, some sections were more than 10 miles long. The guys on the big bikes with street oriented tires were cussing but the riders on lightweight singles with good knobby tires were having a blast. Choose your bike carefully for those sections. Of course, going around those places would have been very easy to do if required.
  13. RockBreaker

RockBreaker Long timer

Oddometer:
    Athens, TN...The best riding area ever!!!
    Just rode most of it for the 3rd or 4th time, always camp, we try to wild camp whenever we can, have camped in cemeteries, in church yards, in the woods, where ever we can find a place to throw down, leave no trace in the morning... So just do it!
    Downeyman and Toddv like this.
  14. cKeggs

cKeggs n00b

Oddometer:
    We have some guys meeting up Thursday night at Osceola National Forrest near Lake City Florida and riding the route West on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday if anyone is interested in joining. Camping along the way.
    swamp likes this.
  15. TAHogan

TAHogan n00b

Oddometer:
    I'll be on the route going clock-wise sometime next week, starting near Anniston. I'm only doing part of it to start a bigger trip I'm taking. Most of the public campgrounds I'm seeing on iOverlander are closed for right now. Florida is opening up in phases, but most sites are not allowing overnight stays. You'll have to check with private campgrounds.
  16. NewEraRacingTeam

NewEraRacingTeam Trail Roamer - XR650L - WR 426 - KTM 300

Oddometer:
    Doing the SEAT second week of next month. Full ADV setup with a bunch of people. Not taking the current Covid situation at hand, are the original GPX files at the start of this thread still accurate? If yes, I converted them into KML so we can run it in Maps.me. Below for anyone that would like them.
    https://filebin.net/sm6js7ym1f6tjl01
  17. RockBreaker

RockBreaker Long timer

Oddometer:
    Athens, TN...The best riding area ever!!!
    A few roads are dead ends now easy go arounds, one gas station was destroyed on the West side ( go east 3 miles to another) careful at the closed iron bridge walk it first, big hole at the South end... Have fun...
  18. cKeggs

cKeggs n00b

Oddometer:
    We rode sections 5,6,7,8 this past weekend. Like Rockbreaker mentioned there is a bridge out and also another road closed at a RR crossing that has a short detour. I will post up exact GPS locations later.
    Rusty Rocket likes this.
  19. Double Apex

Double Apex Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    We rode section 5 last weekend. The road that is closed is here 34.5869847,-85.0332606 we continued on Hill City Rd to Smith to cut over to Hwy 136, it was a quick bypass. The bridge that was out was a bit longer of a detour.
  20. NorthernTraveler

NorthernTraveler Long time Adventurer

Oddometer:
    OK, I updated the files in the first post to reroute around the closed road west of Hwy 136 in the above post.

When you give me the coordinates of the other problem areas, I'll go into the files and fix them too.
    Obviously I won't have ridden the reroutes, but I'm pretty confidant that the fixes will be OK.
    dml9, PYG RYDR, heresjeff and 2 others like this.