SEAT - South East Adventure Trail

Discussion in 'GPS Tracks - Northeast, Southeast & Florida' started by NorthernTraveler, May 10, 2017.

1. CloudSplitter

CloudSplitter Putterer

Oddometer:
    Yaaas, puts me in mind'o ridin' the TAT, back in '14. The first significant water crossing was in flood, and too dangerous to cross. Re-routed with the GPS, and came to another un-crossable ford, so found a route with a bridge but it led to an unsafe ford on another crick. Tried one more time before givin' up and goin' back to an Interstate, and killin' the whole afternoon findin' a way 'round that sucker. Wished I'd had a computer, to get a better view of the map. I'll bet there was a pretty smart way to get 'round that baby.

Anyway, I hope your bypasses all work out well
  2. Double Apex

Double Apex Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for updating @NorthernTraveler !

The bridge is at 34.651903, -85.118045 We rode that section anti-clockwise. So, at the end of Shaha Ln head north (Turn Right) and go to Hwy 136. West (turn left) on Hwy 136 for 1.4 miles then south (turn left) onto Concord rd. it will join back in just past the bridge.
    PYG RYDR likes this.
  3. NorthernTraveler

NorthernTraveler Long time Adventurer

Oddometer:
    OK, updated the file with the go around for the closed bridge above.

If someone has the GPS coordinates for the closed railroad crossing, I'll fix that too.
    I thought I had it, but I looked the other day and couldn't find it.
    FireDog45, PYG RYDR and CloudSplitter like this.
  4. NeoScout

NeoScout Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Section 6, May 22:
    • Bridge Out on CR-174 (N32.79084, W85.35076)
    • Railroad Crossing closed on CR-195 (N32.59384, W85.21954)
    • Poplar Springs Rd (right before hitting US-82) very muddy & slick after a little rain. Seems it was just re-grated with minimal gravel added.
  5. NorthernTraveler

NorthernTraveler Long time Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Updated with fixes for Bridge out and Railroad crossing closure.
    The railroad crossing fix should not be problem, it was easy peasy.
    The bridge out fix was quite a bit longer and may be a problem. When somebody rides it, let me know how it was.

I'm not re-routing the muddy road, that's part of the experience - and that varies with the conditions..
  6. NeoScout

NeoScout Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Cool, thanks for updating. My comment on the mud wasn't intended as a request for re-routing but to provide a condition update to any riders who plan to ride it this weekend. Mud is always a part of the adventure challenge, wouldn't have it any other way!
  7. NewEraRacingTeam

NewEraRacingTeam Trail Roamer - XR650L - WR 426 - KTM 300

Oddometer:
    Just completed the SEAT, from Virginia to Florida. 1650 Miles, 8 days. What an amazing trip - ride report in video format:

8. NewEraRacingTeam

NewEraRacingTeam Trail Roamer - XR650L - WR 426 - KTM 300

Oddometer:
    Screen Shot 2020-06-25 at 8.38.14 PM.png Screen Shot 2020-06-25 at 8.39.33 PM.png
    Rode over the train tracks (see my video above)
    Sprinted over the Bridge using a piece of plastic. 4 bikes did it with no problems.
    Took 2 hours to go through the washed out rode, so much fun
  9. Randy

Randy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Awesome! Thanks for sharing! The SEAT passes near my home in Newnan, GA, over in Roanoke, Al. I’ve ridden the stretch from Roanoke to Heflin a few times recently and am planning to do a larger portion of it along with the Blue Ridge 500 this year. Just curious about the RR crossing... and the road washout. I’d prefer to find an alternate route for both of those in advance. Can you tell me where those are?

Never mind. I see that I missed that info in the posts prior to yours... :thumb
    NewEraRacingTeam and Dan Diego like this.
  10. MaddMatt

MaddMatt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Excellent video! Tell us about the bikes.
  11. mandatedmotorvation

mandatedmotorvation Shunpiker

Oddometer:
    Looks like it was good fun. I live just north of you in Tarpon. Invite a friendly stranger to go with you next time!!

Congrats on the travels.
    NewEraRacingTeam and Dan Diego like this.
  12. Dan Diego

Dan Diego Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thoroughly enjoyed that, boys! Was fun watching you guys have so much fun.

Gonna have to do some research in this as it’s in my neck of the woods.

And whoever put the music together did a great job.
    NewEraRacingTeam likes this.
  13. Rusty Rocket

Rusty Rocket Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer:
    What's the Blue Ridge 500?

I did a search on ADV and all I could find was a Scooter ride that was forgotten about back in 2005.
  14. heresjeff

heresjeff Weekend Worry-er

Oddometer:
    Maybe Smokey Mountain 500
    Randy likes this.
  15. Randy

Randy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sorry, typed that after a few beer. :D

I've been researching different routes in the SE, with plans to link up several named routes into different loops of various lengths that I can do in my area depending on my available time. I have a few GPX files for some routes in the GA, NC, AL areas and have been looking into creating a few of my own variations. I got my wires crossed between the Blue Ridge Gravel Century and the Smokey Mountain 500 as I plan to incorporate some of each in the ride that I've recently begun to plan in my head... Probably had the scooter rally tucked away in the old memory banks too... :D

The SM500 is technically already a part of the SEAT. But since I'm not too interested in the SE Georgia, or N FL sections, I'm trying to devise my own ride based on a few others. So, in my mind (yeah, it's a weird place in which to reside...) I separate out the different sections into little chunks that can be linked together to form my own ride routes. For example, for my purpose I consider the SEAT as just the loop that circles GA, with the other side loops and legs as being separate "routes", even though they do interconnect. If that makes sense... Probably just to me, but there ya have it anyway....

For example, recently I've used a section of the SEAT from Roanoke to Heflin, AL, and then turned back south on the Alabama Skyway route down to Flagg Mountain. Some of the southern end of the AS was on some fairly challenging (for me) Jeep trails. The total length of that ride makes it a day trip for me, of about 300 miles or so, door to door to my home in Newnan, GA. I'm still working on finding a more interesting way to get from Flagg Mountain back to Newnan though, as I'd like to make it a more complete off-pavement loop..

I'm very new to this whole GPS/GPX thing, but I hope to one day be able to create some different routes, and GPX files, to share with others in my area.
    kvango and Rusty Rocket like this.
  16. Rusty Rocket

Oddometer:
    Darn! I thought there might be another great ride in the area. :-) I've ridden the SM500 twice and done a couple hundred miles of the SM1000.

looking forward to what you come up with :lurk
  17. Buzztail

Buzztail Buzztopian OG Supporter

Oddometer:
    Anyone doing this loop and wanting to overnight at my place is welcome to. I’m on the East side of the Apalachicola National Forest in Crawfordville, FL.
    @HickOnACrick stopped by on his way through here when he did the ride. We did a ride similar to Western half back in 2011, but turned South and headed home through GA due to time constraints guys in the group had.
  18. mpusms

mpusms Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice video and great music. I've tried using similar songs but they're copyrighted. Curious how you did it without getting copyrighted and did you use iMovie for editing? Awesome willies too btw!!!
  19. HickOnACrick

HickOnACrick Groovinator

Oddometer:
    Looks a lot like the MABDR->SM500->SEAT. Awesome ride regardless.
  20. Rusty Rocket

Oddometer:
    NewEraRacing:
    What bikes were in that video? White bike recording, looked like a DR350 maybe? And red ones Honda 650's?
    Where is that go around that had riders looping out?
    Great video