Seating the bead

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by RustyTruck, Nov 8, 2019.

1. RustyTruck

RustyTruck Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Trying to put new tires on my 690 and I cannot get the beads to set on either wheel. Tried lube, heat gun, ratchet strap around the circumference. I can take them to the shop but Open to ideas so that I can have confidence that I can do this on the trail
  2. this is a RV

this is a RV Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Do you have the valve core in or out? Out will let you get more air in faster.
    kantuckid likes this.
  3. redfishguide

redfishguide Old Dirt Biker Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nice tip.....hadn't heard that one before.....Often takes me 50 or 60 psi to get them seated but I had one I could not get to seat and I have done many. Wd 40 helps but when all else failed my local immigrant (nothing intended) did what he used to do in Mexico. A shot of propane and a match and WOOSH tire seated.

Now I have never done this and I definitely do not recommend it!.....but take a look on YouBoob and it has been done over and over again using all kinds of nasty but FLAMMEABLE chemicals with much success including big off road four wheelers.

Your opinion SHOULD vary but I offer any way.

Jack and Buck
    davebig, Bobmws and brstar like this.
  4. ooweel

ooweel Throwing wrenches one at a time

Oddometer:
    Tubless rims? If so?

ME? I try gently bouncing the tire on the ground in the most affected area, repeat as needed, trying to air up sometimes I have laid full body weight on the tire and rim till it seats enough for the pressure I am using. Air pressure usually cures this issue. Good tire lube is worth its weight in gold out on the trail!
  5. FLYING EYEBALL

FLYING EYEBALL out of step

Oddometer:
    valve core out+decent sized air compressor

If its cold, throw the wheel and tire in the pickup with the Heat cranked and let it set awhile.
    Jimr80gs likes this.
  6. jfauerba

jfauerba Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    When i had this problem, removed all air from tire, pushed down on the tire all the way around the rim, not just the part that did not deal. Lube the edge of tire with windex along wit spray any part of the rim that the edge of the tire contacts inside the rim all the way up to the edge of the rim. Filled it back up along with ratchet strap and it worked fine.
  7. RustyTruck

RustyTruck Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Tubed. Been going up to 60psi. Have used all of the windex.

I’ve been doing it with valve core in because I don’t have a hose attachment that works without it. Big difference without it?

Compressor is medium sized. Not sure what’s necessary
  8. RustyTruck

RustyTruck Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Also, what do you do on the trail? Just ride it carefully at high PSI and let it seat itself?

thanks guys
  9. sieg

sieg Wearing out tires......2 at a time, day after day. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Valve core in or a small compressor don't mater on a tubed tire ………….propane or a ratchet strap won't mater either.

Heat, lube and PSI. I'd put 60+ in them and ride it down the road...………….centrifugal force will get the job done. I've mounted lots of tires on the trail that did not bead up with my hand pump. Only so much you can do then, no lube, no heat and I'm not pumping it up several times by hand. So I just ride it and wouldn't you know the first time you stop and look at it …………….it's beaded up.
    RustyTruck likes this.
  10. RustyTruck

RustyTruck Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That makes me feel better. Thanks
    sieg likes this.
  11. Bobmws

Bobmws Curmudgeon At Large

Oddometer:
    Just for future reference, this forum is:
    Hacks
    Sidecars & other cooleo 2+ wheeled moto-contraptions.
    You got lucky this time! :augie
    davebig likes this.
  12. greasyfatman

greasyfatman Long timer

Oddometer:
    I bet a dollar you have your tube pinched in the bead. Every time I fought with one this was the issue.

Thick tube? Not on the bead near the valve stem?

Oh and real tire lube is sold at auto parts stores one bottle should last a life time.
    Beecher Snipes likes this.
  13. ded6080

ded6080 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    D8678D91-AEF3-47AA-8527-B7DE4916FC3E.jpeg Works wtf better than windex .... less than $15 @ Napa
    ohgood, dpike, racer1735 and 2 others like this.
  14. Beezer

Beezer Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Anchorage, formerly Spenard (hub of the universe)
    K60s?
    Grinnin likes this.
  15. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    Use a proper bead lube, not wd40 . This also helps to insure the bead seals well not just about setting the bead. They can look seated and yet leak!
    I bought some magic stuff that smells like girly juice but works like f-ing magic on beads! Seems they don't sell it anymore?
    Amazon- 1.7, Formula 8 in google it says unavailable? For the record-> it also makes a black vinyl MC seat look brand new, seriously!
  16. slobinski

slobinski easily amused

Oddometer:
    I've had pretty good luck with Murphy's Concentrated Tire and Tube Mounting Compound. Ordered it from O'Reilly's (stock # 14-708); comes in a gallon bucket. Kinda gooey, slick, and stringy all at the same time and doesn't dry quickly like Ru-Glyde sometimes does. Seems like it was about twenty-two bucks for what will be a lifetime supply. Share it with your friends, etc.
    greasyfatman likes this.
  17. ded6080

ded6080 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Going to try the Murphy’s - Yea you can’t wait around or the Ru-Glyde will dry out - Knocked the jug over and spilled most of my lifetime supply of Ru-Glide anyway
  18. Grinnin

Grinnin Forever N00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    "Seating the bead" means 2 different things in 2 different contexts.

For all kinds of tires seating the bead means getting the bead into the final position on the rim so the "witness line" around the tire is just visible all the way around the rim.

For tubeless tires it also means getting the bead to touch the rim well enough that the tire will hold air long enough to inflate more. After the bead holds air a little, the tire needs to be inflated more to seat the bead in the other sense of getting it to its final position.

The suggestions about ratchet straps, taking out the valve core, and flammable fluids are all specifically for tubeless tires. They're not for getting a tubed tire to the final position.

I have always gotten tubed tires to seat with a lot of lube and sometimes high pressure. Ruglyde does work better than soap and other substitutes, but it's possible to seat some tires dry on some rims.
  19. foxtrapper

foxtrapper Long timer

Oddometer:
    In fact, the ratchet straps are working against you.

with a tubeless tire, rattling around the rim, it won’t hold any air. So you ratchet strap it, to push the tire bead near the rim, and hold air, then you can build up pressure.

As soon as it starts to hold air, you release the ratchet strap. That’s important! You do so to let the tire expand. A crucial step in getting the bead all the way up and on the rim. You can also rupture the ratchet strap if you leave it on, which can have ugly consequences.

so get that ratchet strap off.

And lube. The slide is so much better with lube. I’ve heard KY works well, but never tried it. On a tire that is.
  20. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    foxtrapper: in other words..."back off strap as tire takes on air, then lube"...:rofl