Seattle - Alaska - Labrador - Seattle - Summer 2008

Discussion in 'Americas' started by GhostriderADV, Feb 2, 2008.

1. GhostriderADV

GhostriderADV Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'll be riding my F 650 GS from Seattle, WA, to Prudhoe Bay, AK, to Yellowknife, YT, across Canada to Labrador/Newfoundland, then back to Seattle in the summer of 2008.

Check out the website I made for the trip: www.CanadaOnTwoWheels.com. I'll definitely be posting on ADVrider when the trip begins.

Any comments or tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for looking!

Attila
  2. rpilottx

rpilottx Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was planning trips to Newfoundland and Alaska during the summer. I was originally looking at Newfoundland in June and Alaska in August (with Barko1 on his retirement).

Don't see any reason I could not ride to Alaska twice (did it once in 2003) and have in-laws in Anchorage. Then it is off to TDF in November.

I figure I will get the Americas out of my system and then perhaps look for a post retirement career. My telephone is 915 588 5054 if you want to chat. Rich
  3. Bueller

Bueller Cashin? Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    That's quite an undertaking. Wish I could join you.

Best of luck!
  4. GhostriderADV

GhostriderADV Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Rich, I'll be leaving from Seattle to Alaska on July 25th. I'm in no rush to get anywhere in particular, so maybe we can arrange for our paths to cross and share some stories. I'd be interested in hearing how the roads were near Labrador. PM me when you have more details of your trip and we can do the math.
  5. Maddaddy

Maddaddy Terradrifting

Oddometer:
    Congratulations on you trip! :thumbI hope it's everything you hope for and more. There are MANY good resources here for you to get your trip planned and prepared. The will to make it happen, you already have. You can defiantly ask around in here about equipment and resources. Advice is good and it's free. :deal
  6. GhostriderADV

GhostriderADV Adventurer

Oddometer:
    How real is the threat of bears when camping in and around Alaska / Labrador and what are some handy tips in warding them off. I thought about rigging simple military style trip alarms (made with string and a noise device) around my tent and bike. Bear spray is a must, but any other suggestions?
  7. Maddaddy

Maddaddy Terradrifting

Oddometer:
    More people are attacked by Moose than Bear on any given year. Just follow the camping rules on food. Especially when you get up into the Yukon. and Bears don't like surprises so let them know you are there throughout your stay.
  8. GhostriderADV

GhostriderADV Adventurer

Oddometer:
    What's the best way to avoid getting attacked by a moose?
  9. tlgreen

tlgreen Dirty adventurer

Oddometer:
    I don't know, I can't turn this thing around...
    If you come across one, stay upwind & move away slowly & quietly. If he/she attacks, curl into a ball & stay as still as possible. The moose will not continue to attack if it thinks you have been subdued.
  10. Maddaddy

Maddaddy Terradrifting

Oddometer:
    I was enjoying your website and reading about your $30.00 a day. It will definitely make for an adventure if you stick to that.

I'm not one to give unsolicited advise so I'll just make you ware of the prospect of $6.00 per gallon as you travel up north.

I also noticed your expandable BMW cases. If you are planning for off road you may want to poll for some experiences of those that have had them. They tend to fail in rugged situations.

Lookin out for fellow riders.
  11. GhostriderADV

GhostriderADV Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Maddaddy,

Yeah, $30 a day is definitely a stretch, but the longer I can get my money to last, the longer I can stay on the road. I'm really hoping I can find cheap or free campsites. I'm willing to eat nothing but salami and bread if thats what it takes. About the gas, I'm going to try to conserve as much as possible and ride very economically, but this is one element I truly can't control and will have to bite the bullet if forced to.

Thanks for the heads up on the side cases. I will run a thread on that. Unfortunately, I don't think there is much chance I will be changing them out before this trip. If they don't hold up, I'll buy a set of Zegas for my next journey. About the durability, I made some aluminum brackets and reinforced a couple of the brackets where they connect to the bike. I would upload a picture of this to show other readers but my bike is in Los Angeles for now. When I get back home in May I'll throw a few pics up on my website.

And what the heck, what kind of journey would if be if everything went to plan?
  12. Frostbit

Frostbit Is it cold in here?

Oddometer:
    On a trip from Az to Ak my wife was riding a 650gs with a 45 tooth sprocket and pretty much stayed 65 mph or slower and got 75 mpg for an overall average. I feel pretty good when I get 65 mpg on my 650gs.

:nod
  13. GhostriderADV

GhostriderADV Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That's great mileage! The best I've had was 63, but most of my riding has been winding up and down narrow canyon roads in Malibu, CA. I've never had anything under 61 on my 2004 F 650 GS. The 2005 and newer models have the twin spark ignition, which is supposed to give better mileage. I don't know how much better, but they say it makes a difference.
  14. Maddaddy

Maddaddy Terradrifting

Oddometer:
    The good news is that camping is BC is Free!!

check out this site.

http://aardvark.gov.bc.ca/apps/recst/

You can get (UTM) coordinates to any campsite and plug them in to your GPS. This is where i got all my BC camp info for my AK trip.
  15. GhostriderADV

GhostriderADV Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Nice. Free is what I like to hear.