Seattle to Alaska should I ride or take ferry

Discussion in 'Americas' started by FJR_ski, Mar 2, 2010.

1. FJR_ski

FJR_ski Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm planning to ride from <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:City w:st="on">Seattle</st1:City> to <st1:State w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Alaska</st1:place></st1:State> and was wondering which option is more interesting providing better scenery. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    <o:p></o:p>
    <o:p></o:p>
    Riding from <st1:City w:st="on">Seattle</st1:City> to <st1:State w:st="on">Alaska</st1:State> or riding from <st1:City w:st="on">Seattle</st1:City> to <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Prince Rupert</st1:place></st1:City> and taking a ferry to Haines.<o:p></o:p>

Thanks.

Peter
  2. FotoTEX

FotoTEX Long timer

Oddometer:
    We took the ferry from Bellingham to Haines and I can attest to the incredible scenery along the way. It was a great experience on the ferry. One of he highlites of the trip. I would definetly try it, you will like it. We sure did. Had a front corner 4 bed berth that was super, had a shower too.
  3. 250senuf

250senuf Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ferry from Seattle to Prince Rupert then up the Cassiar (with a side trip to to Stewart/Hyder) to the Alaska Hwy. Unless that was part of your return plan, in which case Seattle to Haines by ferry.
  4. FJR_ski

FJR_ski Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well, I'm flying from Chicago to Seattle. In Seattle picking up the FJR, riding to Prince Rupert, getting on ferry to Haines. Visiting Alaska and returning home from Alaska to Chicago taking Alaska Highway.
  5. ADVBMR

ADVBMR Polygamotorcyclist

Oddometer:
    You might check AkDuc's trip reports. He probably has pics of all this.
  6. kootenay kid

kootenay kid Lets Ride

Oddometer:
    Do both. Ride up, taking the Cassiar/Stewart/Hyder, do Alaska and take the ferry from Skagway south back home. What an awesome ride!
  7. TwoShots

TwoShots Vagabond

Oddometer:
    :thumb
  8. Bugman98

Bugman98 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Is there just one ferry operation that handles all of this? I looked into booking passage on a ferry for my upcoming ride to alaska and was surprised at how expensive it was! From what I could tell from their posted fee structure it would be close to $600 for my motorcycle and myself. Are there cheaper alternatives?
  9. FJR_ski

FJR_ski Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  10. 250senuf

250senuf Long timer

Oddometer:
    In that case take the Stewart/Cassiar on the way back instead of staying on the Alaska highway all the way.
  11. HighScore

HighScore No More, all done.

Oddometer:
    Ride to tswasssen Bc , take ferry to Victoria. Ride to port hardy and take the ferry to prince Rupert. Vancouver island shouldn't be missed, and if you take the ferry from Bellingham you will miss it altogether. Riding to prince George bc is a bit dull once you get past Williams lake, and from prince George to smithers it ain't nothin but lots of cottonwood trees and bushes. The ride from prince Rupert to terrace Is pretty amazing. ( when I lived there I never grew tired of that area, bring a fishing rod for steelhead).
  12. HighScore

HighScore No More, all done.

Oddometer:
    So skip seAttle and Bellingham, ride to Bc, jumping the ferry to Victoria and ride to port hardy, ride the ferry to prince Rupert, then ride to terrace and then head to the start of the Stuart cassiar highway.
  13. fullmetalscooter

fullmetalscooter Let me take this duck off

Oddometer:
    I got off in Juno with the largest inland glaciers in the world. There a youth hostel there. In wrangle the kids well sell you garnets from a claim someone left to town and the boyscouts . Did you get a room to sleep in? If you skip that you can sleep on the deck which is covered. It's to bad you skip taking the inland passage by vancouver island. I hitchhitch it years ago and I loved it.
  14. Zerk

Zerk DILLIGAF

Oddometer:
    Straight jacket memories, and sedative highs
    How much travel time does the ferry save? I would think it would be boring just sitting on a bike all day and night and day.
  15. Alcan Rider

Alcan Rider Frozen Fossil Supporter

Oddometer:
    Virtually none. It takes about the same time to ride all the way from Bellingham to Tok as it does to take the ferry from Bellingham to Haines and ride on to Tok. That's riding at a touring pace. I'll beat the ferry by a day and a half at my usual pace.

Boring? :rofl You haven't ridden that series of roads, have you? If you really enjoy riding, the ferry ride can seem boring after the first day or so. To me, the trip between Prince Rupert and Haines is just about right, but adding the distance between Prince Rupert and Bellingham makes it too much. I found myself itching to get off and get moving on the bike.
  16. KHud

KHud Survivor Supporter

Oddometer:
    Take the ferry. You'll see sights, towns and villages you otherwise will never be able to see. There are several distinct regions in Alaska and the Southeast is one not to be missed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  17. Holaday

Holaday Man of Leisure

Oddometer:
    Riding both ways is a lot of miles. I have driven to Alaska twice from Vancouver. When I go next time I will take the ferry to Alaska so that you arrive in Alaska fresh. There is so much to see once your in Alaska and the Yukon. If you ride both ways its alot of miles and time. Take the ferry one way and spend more time exploring the Yukon and Alaska. I also prefer Stewart Cassiar over the Alaska highway. Check out Vancouver Island and ferry from Port Hardy to Prince Rupert.
  18. AdventurePoser

AdventurePoser Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey Peter,

The ride is awesome either way! We did the ride up and took the ferry home to Bellingham WA. What an outstanding adventure....

Steve
  19. rossphoto

rossphoto GDTRFB

Oddometer:
    ferries suck!!! Unless you like ferries... Ride!!!
  20. H96669

H96669 A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer:
    I'm surprised nobody mentioned that you can get off the ferry at Prince Rupert, Ketchikan or Juneau and others, stay there and explore for a day or so, then catch the next ferry, at no extra cost. It is not called the Alaska Marine Highway for nothing.Great ferry system, great sceneries!

I have been at sea up and down the West Coast and the Inside Passage for 25 years, never get tired of it!:thumb