Seattle to Alaska should I ride or take ferry

Discussion in 'Americas' started by FJR_ski, Mar 2, 2010.

1. Zerk

Zerk DILLIGAF

Oddometer:
    Straight jacket memories, and sedative highs
    I just can't see seating on a boat for a couple days, next to bike, sounds boring. I am sure the scenery is incredible.
  2. Foot dragger

Foot dragger singletracker

Oddometer:
    I did the whole hiway from nor cal to Anchorage,fun but a loooooooooooooong straight away,some nice scenery here and there but mostly trees lining the road for days and days. Not many corners,the bears are neat to see along the road as you get farther north,moose,rock sheep,etc.
    The ferry ride is supposed to be really nice,just kick back and watch things go by. Riding the backroads in Alaska is my plan next time,ferry it up and hop on the bike and go.
  3. mike54

mike54 You don't get me

Oddometer:
    When I did my trip I rode all the way up the Cassiar and then took the Ferry from Haines to Prince Rupert. Didn't save me any time but I did get to see things I wouldn't have seen otherwise. We had Orca playing around the boat the whole time. Met some interesting people on the boat too. I'd say about 1/2 the passengers were bikers. When we got to Prince Rupert I was ready to get off though. I was about stir crazy by that time.
  4. Chaos-in-MT

Chaos-in-MT OK lets GO!

Oddometer:
    Does it have a bar on board??Restraint??free beer?If I get board easily.

Chaos
  5. H96669

H96669 A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer:
    Alaskan Pale Ale for sure.....not free however! But the showers were free...!:ricky
  6. FJR_ski

FJR_ski Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  7. CaptUglyDan

CaptUglyDan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  8. FJR_ski

FJR_ski Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    CaptUglyDan,
    <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p> </o:p>
    Thanks for the info. Why do you suggest under the solarium? And do you really feel that 4 ties are recommended? Also, with FJR, is it better to use the side and center stand?
    <o:p> </o:p>
    Also, I had no idea that they close the car desk. I was so sure that it would be open the entire time.
  9. CaptUglyDan

CaptUglyDan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  10. FJR_ski

FJR_ski Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for info/update.
  11. usgser

usgser Long timer

Oddometer:
    Agreed do both. The I've sailed the inside passage a dozen times(commercial fishing boat) and it's spectacular.
  12. FJR_ski

FJR_ski Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What is the fastest route to take from <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:City w:st="on">Seattle</st1:City> to <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Whitehorse</st1:place></st1:City> with as little dirt/gravel as possible?
  13. Alcan Rider

Alcan Rider Frozen Fossil Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just follow me. :rofl

Seriously, for most riders it will be east and north on 1, then running north on the Cariboo Hwy (97) through Prince George and Dawson Creek to switch to Yukon 1 just south of Watson Lake and continue on that to Whitehorse. The Cassiar is some 120 miles shorter but generally will be a bit slower to travel due to having more blind curves and the need to watch for large mammals that may dispute the right-of-way.
  14. 250senuf

250senuf Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ferry to Haines -> blacktop to Whitehorse. If no ferry Alcan Rider's answer got it.
  15. FJR_ski

FJR_ski Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well, I took all your information and from Prince George to Dawson Creek to Whitehorse it's 1100 miles. And from Prince George to Whitehorse via (37) it's 998 miles.
    Total of around 100 which is not bad, if at the end it's a faster route.

Thanks again for all your info.
  16. wetrock

wetrock McLovin

Oddometer:
    I just finished planning my AK trip for this summer. My riding partner thought the ferry was worth doing, so we put it into our trip. Our plan is Seattle to Prince Rupert. Get on ferry at 6:30pm on a tuesday and get dropped off in Skagway at 8:15am on a thursday to continue on to Anchorage and then back to Seattle via the Cassiar. So, 2 nights and one day on the ferry, and a chance to see some otherwise hard to get to scenery. It came to $392/person for the ferry. Expensive? Yes. But, also an added experience in the trip, which is what trips are about. We'll still be logging well over 4,000 miles on the bikes this trip, so it's not like we're skimping. I agree with other commenters that a longer ferry ride might make me itch for dry land, though. YMMV.
  17. FJR_ski

FJR_ski Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What day are you taking the ferry?
  18. wetrock

wetrock McLovin

Oddometer:
    June 29, I think.
  19. FJR_ski

FJR_ski Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Same time as I will be there.
  20. 250senuf

250senuf Long timer

Oddometer:
    As Alcan Rider posted above the longer distance is the shorter ride time. Hwy 37 will be more scenic especially if you throw in the side trip to Stewart/Hyder.