Seattle to Alaska should I ride or take ferry

Discussion in 'Americas' started by FJR_ski, Mar 2, 2010.

1. H96669

H96669 A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer:
    Hummmm Yeah, go get Hyderized...!:super

But is there still a weekly ferry from Hyder to Ketchikan/Juneau/Skagway? I had to take that one from very bad weather around Stewart. The Cassiar Hwy was going to be a huge Mud Puddle, but that was before they paved most of it.:ricky
  2. FJR_ski

FJR_ski Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I hear that Cassiar Hwy (37) is 90 percent paved. There might be 15 miles of dirt/gravel. Is that a correct number?
  3. 250senuf

250senuf Long timer

Oddometer:
  4. Holaday

Holaday Man of Leisure

Oddometer:
  5. Alcan Rider

Alcan Rider Frozen Fossil Supporter

Oddometer:
    Cassiar Hwy Kitwanga to Jct 37 ~448 miles. 10% x 448 = ~45 miles. Pretty close. :nod When I rode up it in '06 there were 3 stretches of gravel totaling 48 miles. Things have changed since then, but there is still nearly the same amount of gravel.
  6. Slowphil

Slowphil Big Man in a very very small pond

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info. Why do you suggest under the solarium? And do you really feel that 4 ties are recommended? Also, with FJR, is it better to use the side and center stand?

>>>Anytime your on a ferry use the sidestand on any kind of bike, gives you a wider stance which is more stable
  7. The_Precious_Juice

The_Precious_Juice The Virginian

Oddometer:

This is what I'd like to do myself.

I have one thing that most do not. An abundance of time.
    I agree with being as fresh as possible before undertaking Alaska and Yukon. Plus, the DR is not that great on the slab. :D

Instead of setting up a hard date appointment for a ferry, I'd rather role up to the scence (N.W. Washington) and go from there.

What I'm liking is the Port Hardy to Prince R. route you type of.

What would be the ultimate:
    Getting the DR on a fisherman's boat or something to Stewart and getting off there. Apparetnly there is no ferrys to Stewart from the inland passage. :cry
    I wonder if that town even wants a ferry there? It would change the entire atmosphere of the town.

__
    I'm not even thinking about how to get back south. But, Ideally it would involve Haines or Skagway and lots of ferry time.
  8. H96669

H96669 A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer:
    :lol3We took our ship to Stewart/Hyder a few years ago. The boys were in fine shape the next day.:evil I am too old for the corn juice.....:1drink
  9. High Country Herb

High Country Herb Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer:
    Some friends of ours went to Alaska in their VW Bus. They got some sort of pass for the ferry that allowed them to get on/off wherever they liked, and they traveled all up and down the coast like that. In their case, they slept in the bus the whole time, but they said lodging was available on board for motorcyclists and hikers.
  10. OrcasKen

OrcasKen Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ferry is pretty boring when you have a quarter mile visibility for 3.5 days. But if you're not from this area and luck out with at least some good days, the ferry can provide some spectacular scenery. We rode up from Seattle to Prudhoe and brought the ferry back from Skagway. I probably wouldn't do it again, though if I did, I'd get off for a day or two at the various stops along the way and enjoy.
  11. The_Precious_Juice

The_Precious_Juice The Virginian

Oddometer:
    What do you'all think about riding up the Nisga'a highway up to New Aiyansh, or maybe the correct name is Gitlaxt'aamiks?

It looks like the route would be shorter, and it's just 100km north of Terrace.

Riding northeast from the town, you would link back up with the Stewart-Cassiar Highway.