Seattle to Argentina on a KLR650

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by OZYMANDIAS, May 7, 2006.

1. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    You're making good progress! Riding in North America is a breeze.. and you take everything for granted... the adventure begins south of the border! Thanks for keeping us posted.
    :lurk
  2. Bummer

Bummer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :lurk :lurk

Have fun.. we´re right behind....:freaky
  3. Flyingavanti

Flyingavanti With the Redhead on Back!

Oddometer:
    If you are not overloaded and can easily pass trucks and busses, Mexico is a breeze. Back in 1996 we logged 3 days, with over 1,000 miles per day. Not fun, but doable......

Be safe, and enjoy the trip! :1drink
  4. OZYMANDIAS

OZYMANDIAS RIP, Clayton...

Oddometer:
    Hey Y'all-
    Okay, I was able to get some of my pictures onto a computer. Now let me see if I can get them up here.
    Well so far I'm having problems because it says they are too big to upload, and also wants a URL when I do "Insert Image", and does not let me browse for them. Any advice? How do I do it? I'll keep trying, but if anyone can help in the meantime, I've got to get to Mexico in a few hours! Clayton
  5. OZYMANDIAS

Oddometer:
    Hey All-
    I made it to Topolobampa, Mexico, about 500 miles in. Not a ton of time to write because the internet place is closing in two minutes. I decided I´m writing a book for sure, assuming I make it, so I´ll keep everyone up on that. More soon. Clayton
  6. danbrew

danbrew GSAdv.com

Oddometer:
    The intro to your webpage is mucho cool - but too complicated. Folks aren't going to be able to easily get to your moto pages.

Do us all a favor and wear gear, ok? I know I sound like a putz, but we don't wanna hear about you busting your ass 'cause you were wearing shorts & a tshirt cruising around town. You bought it, why not use it?

Good luck!

:lol3
  7. OZYMANDIAS

Oddometer:
    Thanks for caring Danbrew- I've been trying. Yesterday I hooked up with a motorcycle gang (it sounds cooler than "club") and they invited me to ride with them to a little town called San Ignacio. It was a beautiful place. Everyone ate a ton and they got pretty drunk and rowdy. We all stayed in the same hotel and in the morning went for breakfast. The government here is trying to promote tourism to the town because it is generally perceived as dangerous due to the proximity of drug dealers/growers in the nearby mountains, so we were provided with free catered meals. Since we were guarded by police with AK-47's, I take it that the general perception may not be far off. The custom here seems to be to move from meal to meal with little or nothing in between, so we had lunch immediately after breakfast. I then said my goodbyes and headed to Mazatlan, where I am now. It seems like a nice place so far, and I may spend the day here tomorrow to take in the cultural attractions. I'm wondering if my rear shock is adjusted optimally. As it is, I can see the number "1", surrounded by yellow, just to the right of the bolt on the shock. Is this right for me? I'm guessing I should have it adjusted as stiffly as possible, but I'm not sure what's what. I thought I had it before I left, but now I'm wondering. Also, I have a Pirelli MT 21 on the front, and it's wearing really oddly. The nubs in the middle aren't really getting worn much, but the sets of two that they alternate with are getting worn quite a bit, and not uniformly either- one corner toward the cencer, is shearing off of each of them. I don't understand it, but the tire only has about 2500 miles on it. Sorry if my webpage is a bit unusual, but I don't have anything specific to motorcycles on there anyway. It's just my personal page, and remember, I just started riding! Well it's getting near time to go out and check the nightlife, so wish me luck with the Mexican senoritas! Clayton
    WildAnCrazymtl likes this.
  8. RickMcD

RickMcD Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Clayton, don't know whether you have heard from anyone on this or not but it sounds like you have the "preload" set on the lightest setting (probably OK for unloaded riding) but needs to be some higher for loaded down. The 12mm nut you see changes this setting. Turn it clockwise ONLY. The collar will move down to higher setings until it gets to 5 then it will "snap back" (loudly, and may startle you but is OK). Might try it on three or four to see how it works. Again if you go to far, keep turning clockwise till it snaps back to 1 then go up again. There is also a "rebound" setting on the other side of the shock at the bottom behing a rubber snap on cover. Pull the cover off (from the right side of the bike). Some number of lines indicate the setting. 1 line lowest 4 lines highest. Turn the wheel with a screwdriver (or some such) to the right or toward the front of the bike. Again only go to the right. If you go past the setting you want, keep going till a lower one comes around again. I am loaded for my trip to Alaska and I have the "preload" set on 4 and the "rebound" set on 3. Give it a try. I don't have any thoughts on the tire situation, other than the air pressure may be too low, but maybe someone else will weigh in.
    Rick
  9. OMGWTF

OMGWTF Wherever I may roam

Oddometer:
    Ran into Clayton in Panguitch, Utah and here are some pics I took. Man, I was jealous and wanted to quit my job and go with him.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Clayton, I'm looking forward to seeing pics of your own in this thread.

Good luck with the senoritas.

CHEERS!... er, um I mean SALUD!
  10. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    :thumb

11. X Banana Boy

X Banana Boy Long timer

Oddometer:
    cool stuff man. Looking forward to the rest.

12. OZYMANDIAS

Oddometer:
    <TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"><TBODY><TR height="100%" width="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on"><TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off">Hi Everyone-
    Thanks Jason for posting those pictures. I rode from Mazatlan to Puerto Vallarta yesterday, and though I'm getting a late start I'll try to make some more distance today. I'm finding that I don't like the tourist towns much, and will try to avoid them when I can from now on, though I did manage to land myself a juicy American college girl last night. Ole! In my research on this trip I often heard mention of small "mom-and-pop" type places where I could stay cheaply, and where they would cook me breakfast and what not. It may be me, but I'm not seeing them. Maybe I don't know what to look for, or maybe they will start appearing as I move further south.
    So far the trip has been really interesting. Something notable seems to happen every day, and being out of my element is giving me a chance to practice patience and to fortify aspects of my character that are not usually taxed as they are down here.
    I feel like I'm making good time, though I can already see that getting off of the interstate-like roads is going to slow me down tremendously. Passing trucks and such is fun, but many of the Mexicans drive like lunatics, and I often come around corners to face oncoming cars and trucks in my lane, causing me to brake sharply and pull to the edge of the road. I also need to find a way to cut costs, because I'm spending money at a much greater rate than I'd like to be. Besides, I've been reading the Motorcycle Diaries, and it seems that many of the adventures Che and his friend had were due largely to their lack of funds, so even if I'm not completely poor, I may be better off faking it, and I'm going to need something when I start school in the fall. Anyone from Nashville? That's where I'll be in August.
    Well I'd better get on the road. I'll write again further on. Clayton

</TD></TR><TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on">

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
  13. OZYMANDIAS

Oddometer:
    <TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"><TBODY><TR height="100%" width="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on"><TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off">Oh, and thanks to RickMcD for the advice on my suspension. I adjusted it up to 5, and it's better. I decided not to lug my Clymer manual, following Gregory Frazier, and I have not regretted it yet, because I know I can count on everyone here for help.
    Also, I wish I'd brought an Ipod or something. I got this Shakira song stuck in my head yesterday because I saw the video, and it was going around and around in there for about four hours. I was even singing it out loud, which was a little embarrassing even though I was the only one there. She's a hot potato, though. Yowzer. Clayton
    </TD></TR><TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on">
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
  14. OMGWTF

Oddometer:
    LOL - strong work.

15. OMGWTF

Oddometer:
    Clayton's pics:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  16. Mr. Ray

Mr. Ray Glistening Shaft Supporter

Oddometer:
    This is the greates I want to do this asap.

till then :lurk
  17. OZYMANDIAS

Oddometer:
    Hola Amigos! I'm in Acapulco, and it's pretty nice. I found a hotel for $120 pesos per night (about $11) and though there is no toilet seat, it came with complimentary tattered towel, soap, and two enormous, dead cockroaches on the bathroom floor. I met a German and an English guy last night, and we walked around and checked the place out. A garishly made-up hooker started walking along with me and grabbing at the family goods. I didn't really mind because I figured it was a free handful of ass, but when I got home I realized it had cost me the $400 peos in my front pocket. Live and learn! I camped out the other night, and thought to just sleep under the stars, until I found a scorpion while clearing the ground. "On second thought, I think I'll set up the tent." Lots of iguanas on the road, and I was thinking of running one over and taking it somewhere to have it cooked, but I was told it is illegal. Not so for armadillos, though, and the next one that wakes me up in my tent might get shish kebabed. I bought some gas from drums for the first time, and was a few liters short, so the girl offered to fill up a two-liter coke bottle she picked up from the ground and poured some liquid from. When I looked it had about a teaspoon of sand in the bottom, so I said no gracias. Thanks Jason for posting my pics. I have a bunch more on some disposable cameras, so I'll scan them when I get home. The truck is just my old beater, "Old Red", I had so regrettably to let go before the trip, and the boxes are more or less everything I own in the world, packed up nice and tight. I threw away or sold a lot of shit before I left, including all of my furniture. Well that's all for now. Wish me luck with the senoritas! Clayton
  18. OMGWTF

Oddometer:
    Bummer about the manwhore taking your 400 pesos.:D

[​IMG]
    Looks like you're making some progress, coming up on Guatemala very soon. What have the roads been like? Bike holding up okay?
    ...:lurk

PS. Clayton, I finally posted my pics from my trip: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=141846
  19. OZYMANDIAS

Oddometer:
    Hello Friends-
    The bad news is that my trip is over. The worse news is that I had an accident, broke my back, and am now paralyzed from mid-chest down. It happened about four hours outside of <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:City><st1:place>Acapulco</st1:place></st1:City>. A donkey was on the side of the road, and I went to go around him, but when he saw me he got startled and ran out in front of me. I was knocked unconscious, waking up unable to move my legs when some Mexicans found me.
    I’m doing alright. My psychological state is good, and the doctor tells me the surgery, which was about six days ago, was a success. Although there is of course emotional pain to deal with, I have not been suffering a great deal in that way, but have rather been trying to keep my eye on goals I’ve set for myself, like starting law school on time this year. I still believe it possible for me to live a good life- I just have to learn to deal with this new challenge. I still want to write my book too, but of course it will have a different ending than I originally intended.
    When I got to the hospital in <st1:country-region><st1:place>Mexico</st1:place></st1:country-region>, I asked them to go on the internet for the number to my Med Jet Assist insurance, to provide me with medical transport back home. The hospital did not have internet. I asked them to make a phone call but they wouldn’t let me unless I gave them money to go buy a phone card. I gave the guy the about $40 US in pesos I had in my pocket, he took forever to get the card, and I was finally able to contact my mother for about a five minute call. When I asked to make another call, the man refused until I gave him more money, so I directed him to a $100 US bill I had hidden in my wallet. This bought me about another five minutes to Med Jet Assist. After that, I wasn’t allowed any more calls, and was generally ignored. Simple requests were refused for no apparent reason, and I would sometimes spend long periods saying, “Por favor?” while lying on my back in the hall, until one of the many hospital staff around would decide to stop ignoring me for a moment. I want you all to know about this, because if I hadn’t had that insurance, something even more horrible may have happened to me.
    My internet access is limited here, so I’m going to leave off for now. I’m pasting below a copy of a letter my Mom sent to her friends and colleagues. You have all already been very helpful and supportive of me, and I’m very grateful for it. I’ll let my Mom say the rest. Best to everyone, and I’ll be in touch. Clayton

Dear Friend and Colleague:<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    I am sorry to be writing to you with such sad and awful news, but a week ago today our son, Clayton, was injured in a horrific motorcycle accident. He was taking a trip through M<st1:country-region><st1:place>exico</st1:place></st1:country-region> before entering <st1:place><st1:placeName>Vanderbilt </st1:placeName><st1:placeName>Law </st1:placeName><st1:placeType>School</st1:placeType></st1:place> in August. He was medivaced out of <st1:country-region><st1:place>Mexico</st1:place></st1:country-region> to the <st1:place><st1:placeName>Methodist</st1:placeName><st1:placeType>Hospital</st1:placeType><st1:placeName>Neuro</st1:placeName><st1:placeName>Trauma</st1:placeName><st1:placeType>Center</st1:placeType></st1:place> in <st1:place><st1:City>Houston</st1:City>, <st1:State>Texas</st1:State></st1:place>, where I am now. He is now paralyzed from his nipples downward, and short of a future medical miracle, he will never walk again. We are blessed with having the kindest, most qualified surgeons and trauma professionals possible.<o:p></o:p>
    He is the bravest person I know, and has been a hero for his father and me. His willingness to fight and sustain is inspirational to his doctors and nurses. His dream is to make it to law school on time, and according to the rehab team, that may happen...however it will take a great deal of commitment and fight on his part. We are praying for that, and ask that you do the same.<o:p></o:p>
    Clayton had no insurance. The medical bills are enormous and while the hospital is trying to work with him and us to provide some assistance, he needs all the help that he can get. The costs are staggering. I am coming to you with hat in hand. So many have asked what they can do. The smallest contribution will make all the difference in the world as they add up dollar after dollar...<o:p></o:p>
    We set up a fund the: Clayton W. Schwartz Paralysis Fund
    If you would like to make a donation, please make checks payable to the fund as stated and mail as follows:<o:p></o:p>
    <o:p></o:p>
    Clayton W. Schwartz Paralysis Fund <o:p></o:p>
    c/o Marylyn Schwartz<o:p></o:p>
    <st1:Street><st1:address>35 Fleetwood Avenue</st1:address></st1:Street><o:p></o:p>
    <st1:City><st1:place>Bethel</st1:place></st1:City>, CT 06801<o:p></o:p>
    All contributions will be used to pay medical, rehab and educational expenses directly related to his life circumstances as they exist today. <o:p></o:p>
    Please share this note with your agents/region (if applicable) or others who know me, will want to be aware of the situation and may not have been includedod bless you for the prayers, love and kindness we have received already
    Marylyn B. Schwartz, CSP<o:p></o:p>
    President Teamweavers <o:p></o:p>
    Master Trainer for Leader's Choice<o:p></o:p>
    <st1:Street><st1:address>35 Fleetwood Avenue</st1:address></st1:Street><o:p></o:p>
    <st1:place><st1:City>Bethel</st1:City>, <st1:State>CT</st1:State><st1:postalCode>06801</st1:postalCode></st1:place><o:p></o:p>
    203-798-8031<o:p></o:p>
    teamweaver@aol.com<o:p></o:p>
  20. Mr. G

Mr. G Normal Dude

Oddometer:
    Real sorry to hear about your accident and the subsequent mis-treatment by Mexican hospital personnel. Thankfully you had evacuation insurance. It sounds like you have a good attitude which should greatly help with the healing process.

Two suggestions, you may want to set up a Paypal account for donations. it simplifies things. Also post this (or a link to it) in the "Face Plant" section of this site.

Best of luck to you. Let us know when you have Paypal set up. I have a few dollars sitting there I can send your way.