Seattle to Argentina on a KLR650

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by OZYMANDIAS, May 7, 2006.

1. worldrider

worldrider Adventure & Discovery Around The World

Oddometer:
    Locked Down. Me: Leucadia, CA - Bike: Greece
    Good god Clayton. I'm so sorry to read and hear of your story. Thank god you had MedJet Assist, as I did when I broke bones in bolivia... my heart is out to you and many prayers. Keep the attitude.

smiles!
  2. roberts

roberts GS'er

Oddometer:
    My wife and I are going to visit Clayton tomorrow (Sunday) morning. We are going to take him some magazines and best wishes from everyone on Advrider. When we get back I will post an update.
  3. OZYMANDIAS

OZYMANDIAS RIP, Clayton...

Oddometer:
    My nurse contrived an awkward but workable way to pull me up to a computer for a bit, so just a brief one for now. I was able to read some of what all of you have written, and I'm so thankful for your support. Someone wrote, "Ride on, Clayton" and it made me cry. I'll try my friends. I wrote a post on a pad the other day and my parents are going to get it to Honey so she can post it. Thank you Honey. Thanks to those who have made (some shockingly generous) contributions, and to those who have expressed the desire to do so. I'll thank you all individually when I am able. My mom has a paypal account through her teamweaver@aol.com address. I will soon have my laptop, and will be able to write more easily and at length. I have many thoughts in my head, and will share them with you as I am able. You have all come to mean a great deal to me. I've only told about five of my friends about the accident, because for some reason I'm not ready yet.
    I want to say something I think very important. Many people have mentioned my inexperience as a possible factor in the accident. I think it was. I'm hot-headed, and believe I rode foolishly. I saw the donkeys on the side of the road, and tried to get to the right to get around them. That was when the one bolted in front of me. I should have simply applied the brakes, for which there was plenty of time, and passed them very slowly and cautiously. The moral here is that I should have approached my riding much more cautiously and prudently, and not have felt in such a rush. I feel like an animal from one of Aesop's fables- when they behaved foolishly, they got drowned, devoured, or what you will. I did so and got myself paralyzed. If only I had said to myself before each ride, "Take your time, relax, and don't be a hot-head", I'd probably be in Panama now, with two working legs. Learn from me my friends.
    I'm told there are other threads about my accident on here, and I'll try to find them, but if any of y'all would copy and post this to them, I'd be grateful. Thanks friends. I'll be in touch. Clayton
  4. AndrewAnonymous

AndrewAnonymous Making things worse.

Oddometer:
    Good to hear from you!

There isn't a person on here who can honestly say they've never done something stupid and extremely dangerous as a new rider.

Hopefully your story can help other new riders. I'm sure I'll repeat it to a few.

Hang in there.
  5. Mr. G

Mr. G Normal Dude

Oddometer:
    Some of us (me included) have done things extremely stupid as experienced & seasoned riders.

Heal quicky and well Clayton
  6. Scribe

Scribe £Bob£

Oddometer:
    I'm taking off for a couple days soon and I've been thinking about your accident a lot. Thanks for the insight on how it happened; you are 100 percent correct about the notion that being in a hurry can get you in trouble. Godspeed on your recovery, you are very brave.
  7. anatinae

anatinae As Bad As Can

Oddometer:
  8. mattzuki

mattzuki Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Clayton thank you for sharing your experience with us. I know it can’t be easy to acknowledge your fault in a situation where the punishment dealt is so harsh and unjust- it is very generous and humble of you to do so. As a noob myself I’m trying to hang on to a healthy amount of fear inspired caution despite feeling reckless thrill seeker or impatient urges. Remember everyone has been guilty of taking chances from time to time. I wish you wellness and strength during your recovery.
  9. PackMule

PackMule love what you do

Oddometer:
    You're a big man, Clayton. As you know, life is what you make of it. You'll do well. :beer
  10. dynamos2000

dynamos2000 is boinking your mom

Oddometer:
    I can already tell by your posts that you are one tough sob but all the same, we are thinking about you man.
  11. Zanzibar

Zanzibar Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Riding is a combination of both experience and luck. Experience can help improve your luck, but not always.

I almost ate pavement due to a flat tire on my recent trip. The luck part was that it happened on a flat straightaway instead of a curvy downhill section (close - the truck 'brake check area' was only 1 mile ahead...) and I wasn't being tailgated by an 18-wheeler.

The experience part was lacking - had I known the importance of matching tire pressure to weight load and speed, it never would have happened in the first place.
  12. DaFoole

DaFoole Well Marbled... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Clayton, we are ALL proud of you for your strength and attitude. :clap What happened to you could happen to ANY OF US on any day. That's just part of the deal. Life is dangerous. My heart and prayers go out to you and I hope I can be as strong as you should my ticket be punched. Carry on, my man. We are ALL pulling for you!! :freaky Get on with your life and be what you can be. You WILL do well. You have the ADVrider attitude. Good on ya', mate!!!!
  13. 396

396 low-post lurker

Oddometer:
    Clayton,
    For some reason your story really got to me. It started out like so many light-hearted, fun ride reports. Then, bam, it hits you. The reality that your life can change in a heartbeat.
    I've been riding since the late 60's without a serious go-down. You get complacent and think nothing of it until something like this happens. It makes you re-evaluate your ablilities and priorities. It could happen to any of us regardless of experience or prepartation. Shit happens.
    It makes me think of what would happen to my wife & kids if in the blink of an eye, life as I know it ended. Damm.
    It makes me think of my son, 14, he's a good trail rider. I've taught him how to ride well & safely, and I know he will be just like dad and always have a motorcycle in his life. Makes me worry like hell.
    I've given him this gift that could take his life. Is it worth it? Who knows. The freedom of the road is like nothing else. But is it worth the risk? For me it was. My dad did the same for me, but now I wonder.
    God be with you. Your zest for life you pull you thru this, and I am sure that somehow you will be in the wind again.
    Ray
  14. Two Dot

Two Dot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So Cal (winter) Montana (summer) NC (spring&fall)
    Clayton,

As everyone has said, I am saddened by your accident BUT inspired by your toughness and resolve.

To keep fighting and living the good life is the best revenge on this terrible accident.

Please don't blame yourself. Animals are unpredictable. Mexican animals, especially so. It could happen to any one of us ADV riders.

Be well, my friend.

Stephen
    aka Two Dot
  15. larryboy

larryboy Stable genius.

Oddometer:
    it's called 20/20 hindsight...please don't beat yourself up over it. many of us are lucky to be alive due to mistakes/crashes we have made when riding.

keep your resolve and get to school in september,

rob
  16. Spades

Spades n00b

Oddometer:
    Clayton, I followed your story from your first post, and your accident has shaken me, as it appears to have shaken many of us. I read your first several posts with interest, and I was impressed by your courage and sense of humour. I believe you can pull through this tragedy, I believe you will overcome the challenges that lay ahead. The courage that drew you to the road will one day bring you to your feet, and like others here, I hope we'll see you ride again. All the best, keep your spirits high.

Evan
  17. sandiegoland

sandiegoland Adventure Boy®

Oddometer:
    Peace and strength, in whatever order and quantity you need them!!
  18. 396

396 low-post lurker

Oddometer:
    Bump
    Any news about Clayton?
  19. Mr. G

Mr. G Normal Dude

Oddometer:
  20. freeflow

freeflow get in or go in

Oddometer:
    sorry to hear of this......damnit....this happened on Mex 200?....rode thru there last spring on 2 KLRs...and one went down....shook up my buddy but was ok...I can visualize the area....but that is irrelavant.....

Clayton...keep on it....cheers