Seattle to Argentina on a KLR650

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by OZYMANDIAS, May 7, 2006.

1. Smersh

Smersh n00b

Oddometer:
    RIP, Clayton. Your story has touched me deeply, even though I was not even thinking of riding motorcycles at the time when it took place. I've been sitting here for the last two hours just staring at the screen. I am questioning riding now. I'm pretty sure this will not make me give it up at the end, but I have some serious thinking to do.
  2. Tooth

Tooth Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am new to ADV....this is a story that has left me numb and speechless. I hope there is great purpose in all that has happened to this man, his family, his friends and all of us who read this. I am trying to make up all these altruistic excuses why this occured....its all crap...doesnt make sense,.....I'd love to say this was a "moving" story.....only it has stopped me dead in my tracks...

Peace to all
  3. Odinie

Odinie Hey.

Oddometer:
    I just read this thread for the first time, and as a new rider it has touched me deeply, causing me to tear up on more than one occasion. I gave myself a year to get ready for my cross country ride that I'll be taking in June of 2011, and I will be thinking of Clayton every time I get on the bike. Who knows how many people his story has impacted, and caused them to ride safely, and use caution. His legacy will live on with me every time I get on the bike.

Rest in Peace fellow adventurer.
  4. Radar Rider

Radar Rider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just as an FYI I took the liberty of copying his 'book' off the blog and editing it into a word document - nothing major, just line breaks and indentation so that it's more readable than the blog. Whole thing comes to about 120 pages.

If anyone would like a copy of the file (not a hardcopy though you could print if off yourself like I did) PM me with your email. Honestly I think it should be formally published someday. Although sad, it brilliantly shows the man's love for life and clarity of vision.
  5. krautrock

krautrock new here, old elsewhere

Oddometer:
    Definitely not forgotten. Every few months when going for a day trip, I'll be putting down the passenger pegs and take Clayton along for the day. Thanks for riding the Blue Ridge Parkway with me last weekend.

And yes, this should definitely remain a sticky.
  6. longtallsally

longtallsally Yeah I'm a chick

Oddometer:
    I have stayed subscribed to this thread since I originally posted after reading it.

I don't read the replies as I am reminded every time I log in and go to my "Control Panel" and see this thread here. It is the reminder to me of Clayton and his story and what motorcycling and life in general mean to me.

So much has already been said and so many folks have been touched, moved, influenced by this story that I don't have anything new to offer other than thanks in appreciation of what it represents to me. Peace be with Clayton's soul and the souls of his family and loved ones.
  7. Boondoggle

Boondoggle no good deed

Oddometer:
    Rest in Peace, kid.
  8. silverspurs

silverspurs why?

Oddometer:
    I came home from work the other day and while opening the mail found a premium due notice for an additional life insurance policy on me. I had never been aware this policy existed... hmm, so I asked my wife if she knew anything about it... she said she did, that she had purcased the policy on me. I asked her what's up? she stated: you raft class IV whitewater, you do orienteering races on your horse in the mountains, you snow ski in places most people won't go, you ride your motorcycle in places most people won't go... you live a high risk life style...

Although she has never complained about what I chose to do for "entertainment" she obviously does not share the possibly dilusional belief I've had of my invincibility...

I have read this saga with great interest. Reality is: all of us are one blink of an eye from an unlucky accident and the same fate. There is no guarantee that life will turn out like we have planned.

While I am slow to elevate to hero status people I don't know simply because they have had tough things happen to them; I am saddened and sobered at the trials Clayton and his family have endured. My heart goes out to them and I pray that Clayton has found peace... may God bless him

Will this change the way I do things or the the way I play?? no it won't, but it will cause me to slow down a little, appreciate life as it happens and not depend on my next "adventure" to define my satisfaction with life... enjoy and be thankful for what I have now, it may be all I get...

for that I thank Clayton and his family... their sharing has made that crystal for me.... syotr
  9. Mej

Mej Adventurer

Oddometer:
    first time i have seen this thread. talk about ups and downs.

cant imagine what it must have been like.

Makes you think hard about life, that quote will stay in my head forever and im gonna try and take it easier.

RIP Clayton.
  10. ApostateAbe

ApostateAbe n00b

Oddometer:
    I am bringing this thread back from the dead for good reason. I have put Clayton's book on the web, in the original formatting, and anyone is free to read it and share it. You'll feel much wiser after reading it, probably because you will be. Clayton was a philosopher and a rhetorical genius. Give yourself a few hours. Once you start reading, stopping will be difficult. Here is the URL:

www.2arms1head.com
  11. maloryII

maloryII ey brah Supporter

Oddometer:

Good on you.

One suggestion --- white text on black is very difficult to read. Please consider changing it to black text on white background (or an off-white shade.)
  12. maloryII

Oddometer:
    I understand that the ADV leadership has to keep the place tidy, and that an immeasurable effort goes into providing us consumers a great community (which we all appreciate greatly every day), but I think Clayton's story is a particularly powerful & poignant reminder of the hazards we face.

I think it should be kept at the top of this page -- maybe even with a modified title entreating members to read it -- so that all new riders are aware of the risks and consequences of the journeys we all aspire to undertake.

His story will inevitably be buried unless it's Sticky'd.
  13. ApostateAbe

ApostateAbe n00b

Oddometer:
    You got it.
  14. ApostateAbe

ApostateAbe n00b

Oddometer:
    Hear, hear.
  15. ApostateAbe

ApostateAbe n00b

Oddometer:
    I had a little trouble changing the colors, but it is back to the comfortable black text on white background.

www.2arms1head.com
  16. maloryII

Oddometer:
    Nice work :thumb
  17. danceswithcages

danceswithcages Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:

+1

Moderators?
  18. soph9

soph9 Would Love to ride ALL the TIME

Oddometer:
    Haven't read the whole thing but WOW! Where did you get all that info about the end? And all those details...perhaps I missed what he said in the thread.
  19. yamalama

yamalama wet coaster

Oddometer:
    Jesusfuckinchrist.
  20. ApostateAbe

ApostateAbe n00b

Oddometer:
    Sorry, are you referring to the online book? Clayton was a very close friend, and he left the book to be delivered to his family and friends.