Seattle to Argentina on a KLR650

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by OZYMANDIAS, May 7, 2006.

1. kailuasurfer

kailuasurfer Dreamer

Oddometer:
    I don't think this detracts from the power of this thread...
  2. protondecay123

protondecay123 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The end of February came around and I knew that I was forgetting about something.

It is unfortunate that there has been so much editing of the thread, but I hope it's been in someway to help the family with it's grief in Clayton's passing and I respect that.

I know that the family is also upset with the online posting of Clayton's book, but as hard as it is to read, there was some enlightenment there for me.
  3. LadyLisa

LadyLisa Moving moving moving

Oddometer:
    I read thread and the book back in early 2010. I think in it's whole it is an amazingly honest and sober look at this one man's tragic story. I am saddened to read that the original thread has been altered.

Blessings on the family of Clayton and all who loved him in life and respect and admire him in death.
  4. rthuey

rthuey twist your wrist!!!

Oddometer:
    insanity is not as easy as i make it look
    Out of an estimated 20,000 threads (40 per line x 500 pages) Yes i see that there are 733 pages, a bunch seem to have been moved.

There are currently only 11 Ride Report threads that can claim the additional fame of being members of the 1 million + views club.

Glen is way closer to his 3 millionth view than the 1 mark. :clap
    Doug is here twice...looks like your dirtster is a bit more popular than the panhead.
    Clayton appears to engage his readers so much in his stories that they are to mesmerized to reply.

Would be great if the mods could let us know how many subscribers each of them have.

Thread Title - Start Date n Time - Replies - Views
    Striking Viking bumming the world (On the road again) 05-12-2004, 01:43 AM 7,022 2,988,422
    Quit my job to go on a "little" ride....US Tour '07 02-11-2007, 12:42 AM 5,363 1,837,533
    Seattle to Argentina on a KLR650 05-07-2006, 05:01 PM 1,264 1,610,653
    The BAM Road - ultimate test of man and machine 12-14-2009, 08:00 AM 1,646 1,538,485
    Can a Harley make it to Magadan? 04-27-2011, 03:04 PM 2,490 1,441,766
    The Mobius Trip 05-23-2008, 06:33 PM 4,880 1,367,401
    From Estonia with love (Round the World awesome ADVenture!!) 06-30-2009, 11:05 AM 2,559 1,318,875
    Angola, it's not like they said. 09-23-2007, 03:40 AM 1,175 1,237,584
    Sydney to London on a105cc Honda callled Dot 05-04-2009, 07:47 AM 2,878 1,204,865
    Siberian Extreme 2010 - Back for More 07-21-2010, 08:27 AM 1,820 1,076,804
    The WRONG Way Round.... on a Chopper! 05-07-2009, 07:26 PM 1,583 1,067,433
  5. 2handedSpey

2handedSpey bunned

Oddometer:

x2

I just have to add, I read this thread for the first time last night. It affected me, it dug into my dream. My thoughts upon wakening. Man, such a strange thread. Very touching and spooky in some weird way. One minute this person's here, happy, joyous & free. The next, tragedy then, much more tragedy. But, strangely, it happened nearly six years ago. I hope the friends & family of this young man have grown & healed as best they can. This story is now a gift, to all of us as we walk the earth about the fleeting moments.

Thank you.
  6. xKLR_John

xKLR_John Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I read the thread long ago...

What book?

Answering my own question :

http://www.2arms1head.com/

7. sp600

sp600 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    From what I've read, I believe it was Clayton's birthday yesterday, 9/20.

I just finished his 13 Chapter blog that he conceived before he killed himself. WOW. Shocked would be an understatement. It's unbelievable that someone so happy-go-lucky, could so suddenly and distastefully be reduced down to such a small part of who they once were. In his case, it was completely out of his control. He held on to life for 1 year after the fact, but the idea of "shitdigging" and cathing was more than he could bear to embrace for 30+ more years.

"I am two arms and a head, attached to two-thirds of a corpse" as he put it. I hope that Clayton found peace in a better place.

I hope that your spirit will be my guiding angel everytime I get on my motorcycle Clayton.

REMEMBER, if you see an animal at the side of the rode...SLOW DOWN. They are unpredictable and dangerous to be anywhere near on a motorcycle.
  8. petefromberkeley

petefromberkeley -

Oddometer:

It was. I have it marked on my calender and go for a ride with the passenger pegs down to "take him for a ride" on 9/20.
  9. pdxbrit

pdxbrit Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I actually ride more carefully thanks to this report. I wonder how many other people do the same because of the lessons Clayton taught us? "Remember your parents" rings through my head often when riding. For what it's worth thank for reminding me to slow down.
  10. KLRUSERIOUS?

KLRUSERIOUS? Farkle-whore

Oddometer:
    This story has obviously touched a lot of lives and in doing so, given many of us wisdom and that deserves to be celebrated.

Scholar, gentleman and noble adventurer.

Rest in peace
  11. jonboy29

jonboy29 Adventurer

Oddometer:

Petefromberkeley, thats awesome, a wonderful gesture!
  12. Jettn Jim

Jettn Jim This is Liv'n!!!

Oddometer:
    NE PA Some... PNW Some... On HIGH ADVENTURE Most!
    Thinking of you Clayton... Peace my Brother!
  13. Schatzman

Schatzman I Saved Latin

Oddometer:
    Didn't know it was his Birthday yesterday, but we talked about him at CroMag.:cry
  14. FLYING EYEBALL

FLYING EYEBALL out of step

Oddometer:
    rest easy, bud.
  15. GypsyWriter

GypsyWriter Yup, I'm a girl.

Oddometer:
    I remember reading this several times when it was stickied to the top of Ride Reports. It definitely taught me from the beginning of my riding career to never take things for granted, ESPECIALLY animals. Everyone and everything is out to get you when you're on two wheels and, as wonderful as travelling via motorcycle is, the chances of a catastrophic accident from even a tiny error is much greater than, say, from a car.

Rest easy man. I hate, hate that you died like you did but I hope your life continues to mean something. :cry
  16. GSF1200S

GSF1200S Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Not that an accident on such a scale is any less tragic for an average joe like me, but I am struck by Clayton's intelligence and how this intelligence only magnified his struggle. Unfortunately, I read the book posted online before I found this thread, and then realized some conflict happened with the parents over the book being posted; now I feel like shit.

In other places of the web (fortunately not too many), people degrade him without much thought just as he predicted; say what you want, but the man managed to make me FEEL what he felt, and managed to make me consider a number of things in different subjects I had never considered.

Most people could not think or write like him, at least if they are honest with the self. I certainly dont condemn what he did; he needed to leave as he said. It is a shame, however, that he didnt get more time to complete his ideas and to make more of a mark.

I wish I could contact the mother who was commenting here, but I see she hasnt been around forever and might even be at odds with the community for something to do with the book..
  17. RandoCommando

RandoCommando Wannabe

Oddometer:
    I avoided reading Clayton's book for the fact that the parents were at odds with it being released. I can't imagine what she felt when it was linked here. It's most likely the reason why she never returned to ADV.

Clayton's story touched me in a major way. I'm more cautious when approaching animals and ride slower in general because of the unexpected deer, dog, etc... running into the street.

I put this thread in my sig when I read in hopes that Clayton could help others like he helped me.

R.I.P. Clayton.
  18. Wfofunk

Wfofunk IdahoWFO

Oddometer:
    Clayton wrote his story for people to read, regardless of the parents' wishes. I read it and will never forget it!
  19. ManiZ

ManiZ Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Oh my God. Just found this thread and read the end of Clayton's book. Oh my God. May be I shouldn't have; will be impossible to ride with a clear head in the near future. My thoughts are with Clayton's family.
  20. KLRUSERIOUS?

KLRUSERIOUS? Farkle-whore

Oddometer:
    I know how you feel Mani, I too had a hard time riding after reading this thread and consequently Clayton's book. The summer after this tragic story, I only rode a handful of times until I bought added spine protection.

If anything, his story should make you a more careful rider and should make you reflect on the regular everyday things that so many of us take for granted. I never met Clayton, but I am confident that I could say that he wouldn't want anyone to stop riding as a result of his sharing the aftermath of this devastating and life changing event.