Second Annual Latin American Riders' Rally (SALARR) - Carbondale, CO

Discussion in 'Latin America' started by Nata Harli, Dec 29, 2008.

1. Nata Harli

Nata Harli Accidental Tourista

Oddometer:
    Dates: August 6-11 (Arrive Thursday or after, depart Wednesday or before)

EDIT: July 4, 2009

$$$ EDIT $$$$ - This is growing beyond our original expectations and it is starting to involve some costs for porta-potties, etc. We are now asking for a $30 "donation" per person to help cover some of these costs. We guarantee all of the monies collected will go towards necessary expenses. You can send your donations to my Paypal account: nata harli @ gmail . com (remove the spaces) or PM me and I'll send you my snail mail address.

Riding, hiking, camping, fishing, riding, gourmet meals, Ron Zacapa rum, hot springs, riding, cows, 5 acre picnic area and much more.
    We had a blast last year - rain, sleet, snow, hail, rain, rain, and more rain. And, lifelong friendships were formed amongst a group of strangers.
    Climb Mt. Elbert, the highest mountain in the Rockies, at the end of the rally if you're into that sort of thingy.

It's official. We have a spot reserved just south of Carbondale, CO.

<s>No registration fees. That's not to say it's completely free</s><s>. We'll be collecting donations to cover the actual costs of porta-potties, food, etc. No registration forms. Just let us know if you plan on attending.</s> (See above edit)

Probably Attendees:

Nata Harli (and buddy - Dave) - Missouri - <del>Ural </del>
    Bananaman - Wisconsin - Honda Spree
    Mr. & Mrs. GSDiablo - Minnesota - Dakar & F650GS PAID
    CCjon - Texas - R1150GS PAID
    Mr. & Mrs. Colomtnbiker (Thanks for getting us the spot!!!) - Colorado - KLR & KLR
    BobLoblaw - Vancouver - R1150GS
    Throttlemeister - Oklahoma PAID
    <del>LaOutbackTrail - </del><del>Louisiana - XR400</del>
    itileman - Montana - Buell Ulysses XB12XT
    Qwik - Colorado
    daveg - Texas - DRZ400 PAID
    Rockiestwin - Colorado
    Jimmy2020 (and buddy "stretch") - Colorado PAID
    <del>pdedse - Oregon via Mexico - KLR</del>
    <strike>Pilot - Missouri - Versys</strike>
    topaz69 - Colorado - KLR
    RedHawk47 - Colorado -
    ddrags- Pacific NW - F800GS
    PAID
    <del>Flyingavanti & The Redhead - California - </del><del>R100GS</del>
    smeghead & Mrs. smeghead - Texas -
    Belz (Mr & Mrs) - California - KLR
    GSABest & Son - Canada - GSA & VFR
    oomis - Canada - FZ1 w/TKC 80s
    PAID
    Lucio and Paula from Brazil - probable long distance winners?
    Moose and Mini from Denmark - PAID - which is further away - Brazil or Denmark?
    GatoGato - Iowa
    ontheborder (Mr & Mrs) - Arizona

Climb Mt. Elbert? (http://www.summitpost.org/mountain/rock/150325/mount-elbert.html)
    Nata Harli
    Bananaman
    Mr. & Mrs. GSDiablo
    Throttlemeister
    LAOutbackTrail

If any of you aren't familiar with FALARR (First Annual Latin American Rider's Rally - but you knew that, didn't you?) click on the link that's located with my signature.

Last year's rally was highlighted by rain, snow, sleet, hail and my hitting a deer and totalling my friend's VStrom. And, I just have a feeling that this year's rally will be even more exciting.:eek1

Here's a teaser from one of Colomtnbiker's posts:
    Things to do here. Wow, lots to do in a short amount of time. First off I can't or won't list all the rides available but from our area there are an abundance of great rides: short, long and all day. When you actually are here we can get the maps out and locate your daily great ride.
    The ranch is located off of Hwy 133. which is a Colorado state scenic byway. Hwy. 133 is a twisty highway perfect for motorcycles and hitting animals if you aren't aware. From the ranch you can ride to Crested Butte, Black Canyon of the Gunnison national park, up and over the Grand Mesa, Aspen, Independence Pass, the Flat Tops, all kinds of loops, the town of Marble, Redstone, Crystal, Paonia, Uncompahgre Plateau and the list goes on. You can do rides of 30 miles round trip or 400 miles round trip and all in scenic western Colorado. All of your riding will be between 6000' and 12,300 or so feet. You can do only pavement or easy dirt roads or even some gnarly to very gnarly trails and jeep roads.
    You can hike, fish, camp, swim, raft, kayak, golf and any other summer sports you can think of.
    You can pretty much head north, south, east or west and have some fun riding. Some of you had mentioned Telluride and Durango areas. Those towns are 3 1/2 to 5 hours away, so I wouldn't plan on them unless you are packing your camping stuff or plan on being gone for a couple of days. Moab is 3 1/2 hours away by the interstate.
    Buena Vista, where West Fest will be, is 2 1/2 hours away on the direct route or more if you want to go scenic ways.

Coordinates at the entrance of the rally area: 39°19'55.40"N 107°12'39.98"W
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is our official sticker (beta version). T-shirts are also on the way.
    [​IMG]<!-- / message -->
  2. C5!

C5! Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It's not in Cartagena in November ???
  3. Lone Rider

Lone Rider Registered User

Oddometer:
    Taylor Park in Colorado would be a nice location.
    You can find campsites away from the hords, and they're free.
    There's more great dirt riding there than anybody could ever do, and also CO paved mountain riding, of course.
    Supplies are had in Gunnison and Buena Vista, and there's a small store near the resevoir. With beer, too.

You're probably talking mid July - very late Aug (early Sep maybe) for the passes to be clear and good weather.

I don't know what facilities and conveniences you want.
  4. bananaman

bananaman transcontimental

Oddometer:
    Pay Attention! We're having two! One north of the Canal, and one South of it.

If we do this one where Lone Rider suggests, can we ride that one called Engineer's Pass?
  5. Throttlemeister

Throttlemeister Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    It's in August cause that's when I'll be jobless :crybut then there's plenty of time for :freaky all the way to South America and on to Cartagena ( my Carti for short) for SALARR IIa.:clap

Any hot springs in CO other than Ouray's little pools?
  6. Lone Rider

Oddometer:
    Engineer is the San Juans, which can be reached from Taylor, but if the main interest is in the famous San Juans - high pass fiesta country for dirt - then another base camp location would be better, such as the Silverton area, Lake City, etc.
  7. Charles Seguin

Charles Seguin Noob4Life

Oddometer:
    Ozarks!!!!

I don`t know if I`ll be able to afford a bike when I get back... :cry
  8. Lone Rider

Oddometer:
    The Ozarks would be the 'most central' location in the US for good riding opportunities.
    Around Jasper, AR there's too much to do - too many roads and trails to ride...and paddling.
    An overnight (or multi-day) canoe trip could be frosting on a pretty cake. As backcountry traveling is what brung us to the dance, so to speak.

Mid April - mid October in the mountains.
  9. Charles Seguin

Charles Seguin Noob4Life

Oddometer:
    :thumb
  10. Nata Harli

Oddometer:
    Max,

I must have been out of the loop too long. When and where is the rally south of the border? Cartegena?
  11. Nata Harli

Oddometer:
    No excuses! I've got a spare bike you can ride. Just pick your color:

RED:
    [​IMG]

or, BLACK:
    [​IMG]

What's Joe's excuse going to be this year?
  12. Nata Harli

Oddometer:
    We definitely want to have it when you're jobless :super . August is hot and humid in the Ozarks and really nice in Colorado if you don't mind rain, sleet, snow, hail and dumbass deer.:eek1
  13. Nata Harli

Oddometer:
    That must be the one Banananananaman is talking about, eh?

I'm a working man now so can only plan on the U.S. version.
  14. Nata Harli

Oddometer:
    Are you going to make it this year????
  15. Throttlemeister

Oddometer:
    Those crazy deer are everywhere, just no escaping them unless we rally at Yuma.
  16. Throttlemeister

Oddometer:
    Ozarks is home territory, lets just have a couple pre SALAAR luncheons at Oark.:D
  17. bananaman

Oddometer:
    I'll take the red one with whatever comes under that hat, please. :evil

Barb is planning a bike tour around Colorado this summer. That's bike, as in bicycle. Maybe we can get her to stop by. I don't need to do Engineer's, so as long as there's snow or sleet or mean green men, I'll vote with the sheep.
  18. Nata Harli

Oddometer:
    None of them are dumb enough to be cruising across the road at 2 in the afternoon except Colorado deer, though.:eek1
  19. Nata Harli

Oddometer:
    So if the rider on the black bike had had a hat on your decision would have been much tougher, eh?

If Barb would promise to drop in on us, that would make our decision much easier as to the where.
  20. bananaman

Oddometer:
    Barb went to the Bahamas. I'll try to pin her down when she gets back.

And of course I'd take the black one, but please be careful about who you let wear that hat.