Second Annual Latin American Riders' Rally (SALARR) - Carbondale, CO

Discussion in 'Latin America' started by Nata Harli, Dec 29, 2008.

1. luciosiq

luciosiq Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks Ken,

Bananaman played an important role on this achievement.
    He was my "mentor" during my Panamanian adventure.:freaky
    Can you believe that ?

2. bananaman

bananaman transcontimental

Oddometer:
    I didn't think you'd actuallly ride El Llano-Cart!
  3. Nata Harli

Nata Harli Accidental Tourista

Oddometer:
    Uhh, not really. :lol3

But, on 2nd thought, yes, I can believe it. It's cool to have 2 SALARR participants on the front page.
  4. bananaman

Oddometer:
    Let's make that three! When are you going to ride to Cocuye?

I think a photo of you and a naked indian in the Darien would be hilarious. Right before you get to Meteti there's a sign pointing to an indian camp. It's to the right as you're heading to Yavisa. It says something silly, like, "Emberra Village 8 km." Of course nobody has ever measured the distance. The Indians have no idea what a km is. (I don't either.) If it's kind-of dry, you could easily ride it. (Yes, even you, Mr. Nata Harli- even with half a bottle of rum in you, you could ride it.) Go to the end of this road, and you'll come to the actual Indian Village. They live in houses on stilts. They have super-cool fish nets in the river. It's actually not a river, but part of the Pacific Ocean, but it looks like a river. If you stay late, and bring rum and beer, and maybe spend a few days with them, then they'll get naked with you (yes, even you, Mr. Nata Harli), and You Will Be Able To Put Them Naked On Your Bike.

Of course, naked, it'll be hard to tell which one is you, and which ones are the Emberra women...

If you stay for a few days and it's Feb or March, they'll paint your body in natural Jagua tattoos.

Bring a mosquito net and tons of bug spray. Also bring a hammock. Also bring ear plugs, (or just take the batteries out of your hearing aids), because those Indians SNORE. (They make other sleeping noises that I don't want to talk about and I certainly don't want to hear.)

I absolutely 100% can't guarantee that you and a naked Emberra will make the front page, but I can 100% guarantee that if you don't try to get a shot of you, your bike, and a naked Emberra, then the chances of you and a naked Emberra making the front page... well, you can figure the chances. (About zero.)

And then we'll have Three Latin America Rider Rallye Riders on the front page.
  5. BobLoblaw

BobLoblaw Comfortably Numb

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Naked Embera men waiting for Ken and a front page photo opportunity:D
  6. bananaman

Oddometer:
    :clap
  7. luciosiq

Oddometer:
    That's why I preferred to have a look at the Embera "Community" from a certain distance :wink:

Unless, you are really interested in having a close look at the "community", you can experience the "culture" without having to get too close to "them".
    Anyway, I thought it would be safer for me and, of course, my wife.

:lol3

[​IMG]

8. bananaman

Oddometer:
    You were afraid of naked Indians? I showed you this photo of the El Llano-Carti road, and you went anyway? Do you realize that this inability to accurately identify risk... never mind.

The road to the Emberra camp near Meteti is not at all like this:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  9. daveg

daveg no longer homeless

Oddometer:
    This is exactly why I'm going to ride a 400cc dirt bike on my next trip. Lucio! You're crazy!!!
  10. bananaman

Oddometer:
    Last night at dinner at my parents' house in Madison, Wisconsin, my mom talked my dad into being available to guide travellars into the Darien, and maybe even start a guide business. I think he'd take just about anybody into the Darien, as long as you put diesel in the landrover and maybe buy him lunch.

I really want to see somebody get a photo of their bike and some naked Emberra. My dad says he doesn't give a shit about photos.

Lots of riders can brave the Pan Americana all the way from Mexico to Panama City, but then they get nervous as soon as they start toward the Darien. Maybe because of the police checkpoints- those guys are good at scaring people, and it's their job, because the Darien is a for-real place. Most of the riders who've penetrated the Darien say that it wasn't hard, but for every rider who goes into the Darien, there are dozens who never try.

My dad will be in Panama City, starting in about a week, until mid-April. He can either follow riders into the Darien, or take them in the landrover. The options are to go as far as Torti, and Father Pablo's mission; as far as Meteti; as far as La Palma; and/or as far as Yavisa. If you get an early (5 AM) start, then in one day you can go as far as Yavisa or La Palma, spend a few hours in either place, and get out of the Darien before dark. Otherwise, I like staying in Torti (right on the edge of the Darien), and from there you can get into the Darien, spend more than a few hours, and still get out before dark. My dad knows hotels in La Palma and Yavisa. Near Torti he usually bunks at Father Pablo's mission. My dad's only complaint about the hotel in La Palma is the lack of hot water in the shower. He still says it has the coldest water in the world. I don't understand- because the daytime temps in La Palma are often over 100.

If you're interested, let me know.
  11. BobLoblaw

Oddometer:
    It's 2010 but probably 2011 for me but I would go Yavisa with your father:thumb
  12. Dr. Benny

Dr. Benny Enjoying the Journey

Oddometer:
    I'm in Mexico now and headed south. That certainly sounds like fun to ride with your pops. I'll drop you a line as I get closer.
    -Ben
    www.AFewMoreMiles.com
  13. bananaman

Oddometer:
    You and my dad will get along great!

My dad will be in Panama on Saturday. Do you like to fish?
  14. luciosiq

Oddometer:
    "Inability to accurately identify risk" ???
    It wasn't that bad............:evil

[​IMG]
    Following Mr. Bananaman's Advice................:rofl

15. daveg

daveg no longer homeless

Oddometer:
    now THAT is the picture for those who say a v-strom can't go offroad.
  16. bananaman

Oddometer:
    This photo makes me giddy. It makes me giggle. This should be on the front page.

17. BobLoblaw

Oddometer:
    After recently doing this

[​IMG]

Then looking at this

[​IMG]

I think I will travel to Yavisa and spend a pleasant day or two with Bananaman Sr in this very nice looking RR:D

[​IMG]
  18. bananaman

Oddometer:
    Happy Thanksgiving you FF's. Here's me today telling you exactly how I feel.

[​IMG]

Apparently we have a new acronym, from Boblawblaw, and it's nice cuz he spells Canadien-style. ALLAR3, I guess. Sure, he has the L's and R's mixed up, but this is advrider, not some feaking spelling contest.

If there are any disenters for the new mascot, shut up. Ken has decided. Thanks, Tricepilot.

[​IMG]
  19. BobLoblaw

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

What a handsome nag...... and the horse is pretty too:D

Happy Thanksgiving
  20. Nata Harli

Nata Harli Accidental Tourista

Oddometer:
    :super:poser