Second version of the Expedition hack.....mod update...update of the update

Discussion in 'Hacks' started by 54vintage, Nov 25, 2020.

1. 54vintage

54vintage Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    As they say "if it ain't broke, don't fix it!" Well it wasn't broke, but I wanted to improve on the design. I yanked the tub off the bike and saved what parts I wanted to move to the new tub. Which consisted of the swing arm, fender and frame attachment parts. Other than that it's a fresh build. I'll post a bunch of shots rather than blather along. I know you folks won't be bashful about asking questions is you have them. DSC07906.JPG out with the old DSC07911.JPG starting the new DSC07915.JPG using the first one as a template DSC07917.JPG the main section done DSC07921.JPG adding the ends to match the original top DSC07924.JPG setting up the frame DSC07928.JPG testing the fit of body to frame DSC07938.JPG typical connection points DSC07939.JPG Just about ready for paint DSC07940.JPG linear actuator leveling system DSC07947.JPG aluminum floor plate in DSC07951.JPG the tedious riveting process DSC07956.JPG DSC07959.JPG DSC07960.JPG DSC07972.JPG DSC07968.JPG DSC07970.JPG DSC07969.JPG DSC07972.JPG
    pops, Bar None, MGV8 and 13 others like this.
  2. brstar

brstar Long timer

Oddometer:
    Bit of Blathering is ok.
    Good to see your not blithering.
    It's a neater looking box.
    draperg1, Bobmws, 54vintage and 2 others like this.
  3. FLYING EYEBALL

FLYING EYEBALL out of step

Oddometer:
    Looks cool!

nice to see the battery in the pyramid.
    draperg1, 54vintage and rg sw wa. like this.
  4. 54vintage

Oddometer:
    yes the last box was just me sticking on parts to see what I could come up with. I went into this one with real purpose. It will have a full kitchen set up when I'm done. That last trip I took I got so sick and tired of freeze dried food I swore to myself never again. If I'm riding a hacked rig the size of Texas......I'm going to eat well!!
  5. 54vintage

Oddometer:
    I try to follow the "rules" as much as I can. I've seen guys do such dumb ass crap with these things. I still want to be riding well into my 80s
  6. Pokie

Pokie Just plain Pokie.

Oddometer:
    I wonder if it would be possible to come up with a double hinge/ latching system? The top could open towards the motorcycle to allow easy access to things in the sidecar body but could also open towards the outside to allow the top to become a table or a sleeping platform?
    draperg1 and brstar like this.
  7. 54vintage

Oddometer:
    I'm sure that could be done. I'm going to be designing one for a friend who is a tin type photographer. He wants to be able to haul his massive amount of equipment around the country to record old mining camps and ghost towns. I'll see if he's game for something like that. We'll name it the Pokie platform in your honor!
  8. Strong Bad

Strong Bad Former World's Foremost Authority Supporter

Oddometer:
    Looks great!

You need a big old box of Cleco pins for all of that riveting! They are actually not expensive at all.

For those who don't know what a Cleco is, they are a little spring clamp that fits into the hole drilled for the rivet. The tool releases the spring tension and after inserting into the hole you holding everything in place. Much faster and much easier to use than C clamps.

cleco clamps.jpg

cleco clamped wing.jpg
    pops, 1bmwmc, MGV8 and 6 others like this.
  9. bk brkr baker

bk brkr baker Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

It would be easy and possibly prudent to add triangulation to the shock mounting / actuator lever.
    draperg1, Bobmws and robtg like this.
  10. 54vintage

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the input, I can't argue that point! So it is written.....so it is done!!
    pops, bk brkr baker and brstar like this.
  11. 54vintage

Oddometer:
    Thanks!! I would like to have some for sure.....but just don't do enough skin work to justify them.
  12. 54vintage

Oddometer:
    Followed through with the triangulation to actuator lever. Also switched to auto type tire on the hack DSC07973.JPG DSC07974.JPG
    phughes likes this.
  13. Strong Bad

Oddometer:
    Tells us again why you didn't use that square tube to put the top of the shock in double shear?
    brstar likes this.
  14. brstar

brstar Long timer

Oddometer:
    Because he's a very naughty boy!
    I notice the other end is is in the dreaded single shear as well.
    Still if the bolt is strong enough then it's strong enough.
    Else a fixing we will go.
    Strong Bad likes this.
  15. 54vintage

Oddometer:
    Yes I do really need to do something about this problem. I was trying to make the system as compact as I could. So trying to fit all of that stuff in this space meant that not all would be aligned. Alas I'm just a lowly backyard engineer that needs to bend and break shit to get it right...I do appreciate the input and this will get me moving in the right direction.
  16. 54vintage

Oddometer:
    Does that mean Santa is not going to come down my chimney this year??? Oh wait.....I don't have a chimney. I'll be working on a fix that hopefully will take the punishment. A fixing we will go is something I don't want to do in the middle of nowhere! I'll post some shots of the fix.
  17. Strong Bad

Oddometer:
    I brought it up because I had a shock tower failure on my DMC rig in the middle of no where. It wasn't a single/double shear issue but still a suspension failure can ruin you day when it happens. When it happened to me, it cost me 3 days of sitting in Taos repairing it while on the CDR. I've always been kind of OCD about single shear when double shear is possible. I've said it before, there is always more than one way to skin cats, and when fabricating there are usually dozens of different ways.

Kind of late now, but I think I would have aligned the arm for the shock with the upright and extended something over for the actuator. If you don't do fab all the time, some times the different ways are not obvious until someone points them out.
  18. brstar

brstar Long timer

Oddometer:
    Do those actuators work in tension or only under compression?
    It could go in front of the actuator arm laid flat.
    Then the actuator, it's arm and the shock could all be in the same plane as the swingarm.
    Clear as mud?
  19. 54vintage

Oddometer:
    It's never too late to chop something off and weld something new in place. Being retired I have all the time in the world to dink with the rig until I get it right. I do appreciate you guys chiming in. How's that saying go.....minds are like parachutes.....they only function when they're open.
    pops, Bobmws, brstar and 1 other person like this.
  20. 54vintage

Oddometer:
    Dang man, now I'm all cornfused!! This type of acuator works under both types of load. However, it is the cheaper model that does not lock when it's not energized. Another 300 buckos and it can be had. This one will slowly allow the tub to sink.....gravity sometimes sucks....I either have to lock the arm for highway travel, which I do, or offroad adjust the level often.