SECTION 7 of NMBDR

Discussion in 'The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...' started by 6.5x47L, Jun 26, 2019.

1. 6.5x47L

6.5x47L Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Would be going in late August, how is this section of the trail, duration for your average completion and difficulty? Hard to tell from the GPX tracks, and reviews were spotty on this section.
  2. Texas Mud Taco

Texas Mud Taco Ants in my pants

Oddometer:
    The last section has some Rocky and steep sections but nothing too terrible. I've done the New Mexico bdr several times, the last time being late May. We did the whole thing in four days, the last day we woke up around Torreon, south of Cuba, and made it to antonito by 5pm.
    redrock88 likes this.
  3. sjeproductions

sjeproductions Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just did this section a couple weeks back and you could do it in a day if you wanted to. We got a late start and spent one night camping, which was worth it. If you are heading South - North, you'll climb up about the only loose section towards the end. If you head North - South, you descend it. It's not too bad and it is reasonably short. It's got a fair amount of elevation, which should help with temps and makes for great camping, but I imagine it will be toasty towards the beginning and end. The one "expert alternate route" is super fun, with some challenging bits to keep you on your toes. Have a fun trip.
    redrock88 likes this.
  4. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have ridden from Abq to southern CO many times in one day with the northern part often following the BDR. This is quite a bit further than Cuba to Antonito.
    Cuba to Abiquiu is very easy. The non big bike route from Abiquiu to El Rito is a bit difficult, but as good a ride as there is in NM.

Most of the ride north of El Rito is on good to medium forest roads. There are occasional short hard spots.

The big factor is what type bike you have and your skill level.

There several places where one can bail to US 285 if it starts getting late and dark near the end.

It would have been nice if the BDR tracks were time-stamped. Then one would know how long it took a very good rider on a big loaded bike to ride each segment.
    But I think the planners rarely road each segment the way the users are riding it.
    redrock88 likes this.
  5. 6.5x47L

6.5x47L Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Cool and Thanks... Will be riding a Tiger 800 decently loaded... Skill set is OK, just got back from BMW off-road school, I felt as I did better than OK.
  6. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    So are you going to try the non-big bike route out of Abiquiu?
  7. 6.5x47L

6.5x47L Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I did not see a different route on the GPS tracks I downloaded. I will be solo, so there is certainly a decision to be made :)
  8. mntdawg

mntdawg NOT FRAGILE OR GREEN

Oddometer:
    [QUOTE
    But I think the planners rarely road each segment the way the users are riding it.[/QUOTE]
    :thumbup:thumbup:thumbup
  9. henrys

henrys Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Did section 7 today on a big bike. Was definitely a challenge and a lot of fun. I went from El Rito to Abiquiu direction thankfully because I wouldn't want to go up this lol. The views are amazing though. 20190712_102604.jpg 20190712_110421.jpg 20190712_110021.jpg
  10. LuceCannon

LuceCannon n00b

Oddometer:
    I did this section on Sat 13 July 2019. It contains curvy dirt roads through the woods initially, then it changed to dirt/gravel. Very scenic all day. There is a section 7 alert with go-around. www.Ridebdr.com says, "NF 91 is badly damaged with washouts – many deep ruts and muddy sections – very challenging up to Tusas Mtn". We skipped the go around and stayed on the original route. It was very challenging, especially on my R1200GSA. In spite of the challenges, it was fun and passable because it was dry. We bailed at US64 and headed back to Angel Fire, where we started. It took us about 5 hours to get to US64 with only 30 miles remaining of this section.
    redrock88 likes this.
  11. 6.5x47L

6.5x47L Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the update!!!
  12. redrock88

redrock88 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    @wbbnm - Thanks for the info above. What would you say makes segm 7 "difficult"? I might be up in that area in the next week or two and was planning to go putz around on the bike for a few single day rides. Is there a direction you'd recommend, and/or is it pretty easy to just turn around and head back the way I came if I think it's too much for me? Obviously, hard to gauge each others' skills and everything is subjective but welcome your thoughts. Thx :)

Btw, if anyone wants to tag along, LMK. I'm generally geared more toward getting stellar views and fresh air vs. speed.

Sledred likes this.
  13. LuceCannon

LuceCannon n00b

Oddometer:
    It had deep ruts, tree roots and rocks. I would say challenging on a big bike, but not too difficult. Going north is uphill, and a little more difficult, but I’d easily go that direction again. You can see the hard part on the video below. Go to 15:20 where I fell over and start from there.
    Sledred, Bartimus and redrock88 like this.
  14. redrock88

Oddometer:
    Welp, not sure it's a good recommendation when the main reference is where someone "fell" haha.
    But I'll probably go try it anyway :)
  15. redrock88

Oddometer:
    9550672E-34A4-4A27-8310-3E8F542B6510.jpeg

B85DE5F3-21C8-4D08-A19B-D2187BD303E0.jpeg

641567E7-C2D0-4C97-8BDF-2714BEAA9598.jpeg
  16. mntdawg

mntdawg NOT FRAGILE OR GREEN

Oddometer:
    I bet the section in the last shot was great on the Two Smoker.
    redrock88 likes this.
  17. redrock88

Oddometer:
    It was fun.
    Can’t say I was crazy about the rocks on that section, but it was actually those deep sporadic ruts that made it hard (for me). I’m sure those come/go, depending on the season. Beautiful day though.
    I’ll be hanging my hat near the dragoons again this winter, LMK if you want to do some rides.
    mntdawg likes this.