Securing a motorcycle left outside?

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by Colorad0, Aug 28, 2019.

1. Colorad0

Colorad0 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'll be taking my Husky 701 on a road trip on the back of my motorhome.

I'd like to secure it from thieves (as much as is practical). Also I'd like to protect it from the elements.

So I'm looking for recommendations on wheel locks and motorcycle covers. Also any tips and tricks from those of you who don't garage your bikes.
  2. ChaoSS402

ChaoSS402 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Mine sits on my front porch and half the time I forget the key in the ignition.

*Shrugs*

You could cable lock it. Disc locks with alarms. How long is this trip that you feel the need to keep it out of the elements?
  3. kneeslider

kneeslider Insufficient privileges!

Oddometer:
    see the attached. its for sale, new out of the box, never used. fullsizeoutput_824.jpeg
  4. Colorad0

Oddometer:
    You're more trusting that me lol. After spending months building up this bike, I don't want to have it stolen. I had that happen to me as a kid with my BMX. Months of building it up and some low life stole it a week later. :devildog

I'm retired, so our plans are loose at the moment as far as duration. I figured the cover would help with theft too.
  5. Colorad0

Oddometer:
    I have the motorhome to chain up to. But I'd rather not have that hassle unless I'm in some dodgy Walmart parking lot. Hoping a single disc lock and a cover should do it in most locations.
    severely likes this.
  6. rider33

rider33 Long timer

Oddometer:
  7. bodine003

bodine003 Long timer

Oddometer:
    disc lock on rear, can't roll it away, cable lock with a good master lock bike too carrier. covers a pain
  8. MotoChris521

MotoChris521 expert apprentice

Oddometer:
  9. slartidbartfast

slartidbartfast Life is for good friends and great adventures Supporter

Oddometer:
    Southern Louisiana or Southern England or ...
    If the bike is on the back of the motorhome, wrap it in a cheap tarp with loads of bungees or blue poly rope. That makes it an almighty pain for anyone to figure out what it is or find out how it's locked to the back of the motorhome. If it's just parked next to the motorhome, a decent chain through the frame of the bike and the motorhome should be quick and easy to deploy. Any cheap stretch cover would do the job for discouraging prying eyes while parked but would probably not survive if the motorhome was going down the road.
  10. CaseyJones

CaseyJones Ridin' that train

Oddometer:
    Be careful of covers. First, a covered bike without any wind shelter...the cover will attract dust, as tarps do; and then the dirty cover in the wind will rub and wear and scuff the paint.

Second, a full cover, after a rain, will TRAP moisture underneath. Making things worse.

I have a carport, so that works. Your bigger enemy is sun, not rain - although rain with time will build up dirty residue in crevasses and wash into bearings and the like. I have a half-cover I use, protect the instrument panel and seat from the sun, when I have to park in the open. No way to secure it.

As for leaving the bike in the open, unattended...I don't know. You could weigh the cover down and cable-secure it, maybe rolling it up to axle height to get air circulation. I'd try to find some sort of roof for it, as an alternative.
    molochnik and szurszewski like this.
  11. jay547

jay547 Long timer

Oddometer:
    MotoChris521 likes this.
  12. r60man

r60man Long timer

Oddometer:
    The unfortunate truth is that if thieves really want your bike, you are not going to stop them. Bikes are light enough that two guys with a bolt cutter are going to be able to carry it away. Make sure it is secured and lock it, but nothing will be 100% safe.

I wouldn't cover it while on the road. Wind buffeting will reduce the paint, and scuff the plastics to nothing very quickly. When you stop it is probably not a bad idea to throw a cover over it, what can't be seen is less likely to be thought about for theft. I had a neighbor that towed his two bikes and a car behind his bus sized camper that seems excessive. Someone stole the entire trailer in Vegas. Never recovered either.
    Dtx915 likes this.
  13. ydarg

ydarg Miscreant

Oddometer:
    With respect to staying in hotels when travelling by way of MC?

Park the MC under the hotel portico overnight (out of the way obviously). They typically have security cameras and are well-lit making it fairly obvious if someone starts messing with your stuff. I've done this for several years while working bike races and have yet to have anyone demand that I move the bike, especially if I tell the front desk clerk what's going on and why I'd like to park there. The other motorefs do the same thing.

Travelling with the MC on the truck or trailer, I try to back against a wall that will make it more difficult to get the bike off or out.
    molochnik likes this.
  14. Colorad0

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the suggestions guys. I don't want to cover it during transport, for all the reasons you guys stated. A cover is just for when I'm not using it. We have toad, so the bike is not for transport, just for pleasure. It's entirely possible it goes without use for a week or two if were camped somewhere the riding sucks.... like a lot of Florida and Texas.

I like the idea of a KLR cover lol. A blue tarp is probably taking it a bit far and I don't want to have to look at that.

Some combination of an alarmed cable lock, big chain, cover and disc lock should keep the bike safe.

If I get a KLR cover, I'll be sure to place an old milk crate next to it for authenticity.

I'll be using this Husky 701 as a dirt bike most of the time. Most likely it's going to get a little beat up, my dirt bikes always do.
  15. slartidbartfast

slartidbartfast Life is for good friends and great adventures Supporter

Oddometer:
    Southern Louisiana or Southern England or ...
    A milk crate with an old cylinder head sitting in it next to the completely covered bike would also be a strong deterrent.
  16. Colorad0

Oddometer:
    I like the way you think!
  17. AzB

AzB Fattest thin man

Oddometer:
    You'll need some police line tape, some chalk, a few ketchup packets, and some empty shell casings.

Put the police tape around the bike, draw the outline of a body next to it, add some blobs of ketchup and shell casings to taste.

Optionally, you can put a little numbered flag next to each shell casing. Not really required, but it adds to the overall ambience.
    HuntWhenever and Colorad0 like this.
  18. Schmokel

Schmokel Key to Happiness: Low Expectations

Oddometer:
    Or just move to Chicago.

I'll see myself out.
  19. AzB

AzB Fattest thin man

Oddometer:
    Locking your bike to something solid with a lock that will resist cutting is the only thing that will be effective.

I've lived in countries where bike theft was a real problem and disc locks, immobilizers, alarms, and covers do nothing at all to deter professional thieves. They will simply pick up the bike, alarm blaring, and toss into a truck. A refrigerated truck muffles the alarm nicely, and can even interfere with lojack.

Alarms cause more problems then they solve. I've had to go back and remove more faulty alarms (lots of labor) then they've ever helped stop a theft.

Look at locks made by Abus, Sentinel, or other European companies. They tend to be a lot more effective than American locks. I've seen quite a few disk locks, padlocks, and ulocks that are defeated in seconds with no skill and few tools. Pro thieves will see a quality lock and move on. They're not looking for a challenge.

If I were you, I'd consider a 5x8 enclosed trailer to tow. It would give you a place to store tools or even work on the bike in inclement weather.
    sieg likes this.
  20. Colorad0

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the lock recommendations. I'd love to have a big enclosed trailer to fit our Jeep and all the toys, but we need to stay under 40ft to get into all the national parks. Our MH is 38ft and with the hydra-lift on the back, we can fold up to 40ft.